4.Paul Bain
5.Paul Bain
6.Jason Julian
7.Derrick Brodus
8.Victor Peppers
9.J.J Mccleskey
10. D’Arcick Rogers

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I didn't look at the list before typing this. So, I'll give it a shot. This would be right now as I live and breathe. Twenty years from now the list will be different because there is always recency bias when you talk about popularity and fame.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tim Tebow
3. Bo Jackson (Herschel was better, Bo, with the help of Nike, is more famous)
4. Joe Namath
5. Reggie White
6. Herschel Walker
7. Odell Beckham, Jr (would assume this is currently the most famous SEC player on a current roster)
8. Julio Jones
9. Archie Manning
10. Cam Newton

Recency bias won't affect PM's 5 NFL MVPs 20 years from now. An untouchable record. Good salesman to boot.

There are 32 picks in each round in the modern draft. No spin required.
He was pick 31 There were nine teams. That's more like 4th round material.

I see how you are looking at it. I'm looking at it for what it really was. There were far fewer players available to draft in 1936. 36 out of 1000 (today) players looks way better than 36 out of 100(then) players.

I would say Peyton and Tebow should be 1 and 2. Peyton has all the commercials and had the SNL. Tebow is almost like a cult following. You say anything bad about the guy, like he can’t throw the football, and you’re going straight to the underworld according to his worshippers.

If we were just looking at college career (not pro, not commercials, not coaching, etc.). I wonder what the list would look like. I think Cam might be number 1 but the list IMO would be very interesting. Would have to include Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, and Tim Tebow.

Last edited:
He was pick 31 There were nine teams. That's more like 4th round material.

I see how you are looking at it. I'm looking at it for what it really was. There were far fewer players available to draft in 1936. 36 out of 1000 (today) players looks way better than 36 out of 100(then) players.
And that my friend is the definition of a spin! Take some bull crap stat and convert it to make your player, politician, or team look better. 31 out 100 players selected is the bottom of the top 1/3rd no even close to “first round” like bamawriter was attempting illustrate. Out of the 256 in the modern draft that 31 equates to About pick number 85 so late third rd.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
And that my friend is the definition of a spin! Take some bull crap stat and convert it to make your player, politician, or team look better. 31 out 100 players selected is the bottom of the top 1/3rd no even close to “first round” like bamawriter was attempting illustrate. Out of the 256 in the modern draft that 31 equates to About pick number 85 so late third rd.

I've been helping my daughter with common core math. I've been thinking how the the concepts could not be more non-sensical. Then I saw your attempt at math, and now common core doesn't seem so bad.

Hadn't really thought about things in terms of "fame" outside the realm of football before. Peyton and Reggie making the list here, would think Inky Johnson would be honorable mention at least.

10 most famous SEC football players -
I’m sure he would have been, had the incident not happen. Stinks he isn’t, but his calling is the huge bright spot to us all!

VN Store

Back