Most exhilarating sports moment?

My first ever trip to Neyland! It was 1990 and I had never been to a game before. A kid playing on a decent HS football team. Dale Carter caught the second half kickoff and when he got to da fitty, that place erupted! Sounded like an airplane taking off! We were in the upper deck and I literally thought the stadium was going to collapse!

Nothing since has come close!

Oh, I saw Andy Kelly and some of the other players outside of Gibbs Hall and he nodded at me. Been hooked every since!
I was at that game. Only one I had ever attended that rivaled that one in noise was the 89 UT-AU game when the CobbWebb ground up the Tigers like hamburger. Cobb’s big 70+ TD run sparked total bedlam in the student section.

my son and his wife were in Busch for that series, and i' still jealous
I

I have been a card fan since the mid-60s

Maybe you became a Redbirds fan the way I did...beginning (for me) around 1965, at night, KMOX in St. Louis came in loud and clear. I had a transistor radio under my pillow while in bed. Listening to Harry Caray and Jack Buck doing the play by play for Cardinals’ games was the best, especially in the late innings after Harry had had a few too many Buds. Even began listening the St. Louis Hawks NBA games around the same time. Bob Gibson was my baseball hero and Bob Pettit my basketball favorite.

Gibson’s 1968 season (I was 15) is still memorable and remarkable: 1.12 ERA and THIRTEEN complete game shutouts; struck out 17 Detroit Tigers in game 1 of the ‘68 WS. He and Drysdale were just scary to batters.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Maybe you became a Redbirds fan the way I did...beginning (for me) around 1965, at night, KMOX in St. Louis came in loud and clear. I had a transistor radio under my pillow whilin bed. Listening to Harry Caray and Jack Buck doing the play by play for Cardinals’ games was the best, especially in the late innings after Harry had had a few too many Buds. Even began listening the St. Louis Hawks NBA games around the same time. Bob Gibson was my baseball hero and Bob Pettit my basketball favorite.

Gibson’s 1968 season (I was 15) is still memorable and remarkable: 1.12 ERA and THIRTEEN complete game shutouts; struck out 17 Detroit Tigers in game 1 of the ‘68 WS. He and Drysdale were just scary to batters.

it began exactly same way for me a few years earlier in knoxville and solidified after going to my first Card game in S portsmanPark (in in a box seat not far from 1B) courtesy of one of Dad's best friends,

Gibson, Brock, McCarver, Shannon and, Flood among my early favorites. Didn't catch Braves Bug with their move to Atlanta, stayed loyal toCards and became a rabid fan in 2000 when son began grad school at WashU.. He'snever left STL., his wife's family have been Card fans forever.

We just spent two months in STL when their third child was born and will be returning in April and June to lend them a hand with the kids./I'm just hoping my son and I can sneak away to Busch

Oh yeah. I was liistning to the Hawks on my transistor during those Petit years.

Best moment at Neyland? When florida choked on that chip shot field goal in OT in 98---leading to a national title!! I partied all night on the strip and some apartments---with some strong stuff!!!

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
I have 2. 1986 Sugar Bowl not only because of the outcome but it was the first game my son and I got to watch together. He was 7 weeks old. Both of us decked out in orange. Then in 2017 when UAB came back on to field after months of struggle. That now grown son and I were there with his arm around my shoulder. Under his UAB shirt was a UT t shirt

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
it began exactly same way for me a few years earlier in knoxville and solidified after going to my first Card game in S portsmanPark (in in a box seat not far from 1B) courtesy of one of Dad's best friends,

Gibson, Brock, McCarver, Shannon and, Flood among my early favorites. Didn't catch Braves Bug with their move to Atlanta, stayed loyal toCards and became a rabid fan in 2000 when son began grad school at WashU.. He'snever left STL., his wife's family have been Card fans forever.

We just spent two months in STL when their third child was born and will be returning in April and June to lend them a hand with the kids./I'm just hoping my son and I can sneak away to Busch

Oh yeah. I was liistning to the Hawks on my transistor during those Petit years.

Thank for sharing; I knew I couldn’t be the only one! Jerry Gross was the Hawks play by play guy—he ended up as voice of the Padres for quite awhile. Never made it to Sportsman‘s Park...but took my kids to many Cards v. Cubs series over the years at the old Busch Stadium. On one trip we were staying at the downtown Marriott where the Cubs were also staying. My 12 year old son encountered Andre Dawson in the lobby and kindly asked for his autograph. This towering hulk of a man bent over, stared at my boy and said, “Get out of my face, kid.” He DID get Ryan Sandberg’s signature and a smile to boot.

Reactions: ArdentVol
No ones mentioned it so I hope you don't mind...The 1973 Belmont Stakes. Secretariats unbelievable run and Chic Anderson calling the race "He's moving like a Tremendous Machine!!" Still gives me chills....

2016 UT vs Tex A&M...I know we lost but when Malik Foreman punched the ball out of the hands of Williams right before he made a touchdown, forcing a turnover, I almost stopped breathing!! One of my favorite plays of all time!!

Dobbnail boot game....Entire 98 season

Last edited:
When Dale Earnhardt, after winning the Daytona 500 for his first time, drove down Pit Road and EVERY MEMBER OF EVERY TEAM LIINED UP ON PIT ROAD AND HIGH FIVED HIM AS HE DROVE BY. I hated Dale for many years because I was a Daryl Waltrip fan but, if you were a NASCAR fan, you had to respect The Intimidator. I tear up every time I see a replay of that and this is coming from a Jersey guy who has been and or remains a fan of the Yankees, Knicks, Vols, Cubs, Mets, Giants, Jets, Packers and Rangers. RIP Dale!

VN Store

Back