More QB Roster turnover

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
JG is not going to be on this team next year.

Shrout is a project and may not be SEC caliber.

Maurer’s concussion issues may not allow him to play 4 years.

K Hill is solid but has history of injuries.

We need to find a 2nd QB recruit as insurance, whether it’s a HS or transfer. We can’t go through next year with a true freshman plus injury prone players.

Last edited:

Mayer’s concussion issues may not allow him to play 4 years.

We need to find a 2nd QB recruit as insurance, whether it’s a HS or transfer. We can’t go through next year with a true freshman plus injury prone players.
Oscar will be just fine.

John? Oscar? Who the hell is this Mayer? Is he someone Kiffen knows?

As I stated in another thread minutes ago, I'd like to see UT stay after Haynes King because we were right there with Tex A&M in his recruitment. Also attempt to get the best the portal has to offer. The way this season has played out thus far teams need 2 QB's that are about equal and it doesn't hurt to have one who can tuck it and run if necessary.

iu

As I stated in another thread minutes ago, I'd like to see UT stay after Haynes King because we were right there with Tex A&M in his recruitment. Also attempt to get the best the portal has to offer. The way this season has played out thus far teams need 2 QB's that are about equal and it doesn't hurt to have one who can tuck it and run if necessary.
They loved Chaney. But his dad is his HS coach that will have a really hard time seeing him play next year. Too hard to fly to Knoxville (quickly) from where they live. Logistics played a role.

So long as Bailey comes on board, we should be OK. Maurer, Bailey, Hill, and Shrout gives us 4 QBs. Shrout will continue to improve. Hill was serviceable (but not great) at Maryland, but he'll have had 2 years to improve since his last start.

QB depth was always going to be an issue this season, even before JG regressed so badly, but both Maurer and Shrout will improve next season. I do worry about Maurer's durability now, but having Hill and Bailey does give us more options.

Hill will be interesting to watch next year. He only had a 50% completion rate at Maryland, but most college QBs improve over time. If he could be closer to 60%, he might actually be a pretty good option at QB. And even though his accuracy wasn't great, he didn't throw a lot of INTs; only 1 per 42 passes. He might surprise some people and win the job.

Last edited:
So long as Bailey comes on board, we should be OK. Maurer, Bailey, Hill, and Shrout gives us 4 QBs. Shrout will continue to improve. Hill was serviceable (but not great) at Maryland, but he'll have had 2 years to improve since his last start.

QB depth was always going to be an issue this season, even before JG regressed so badly, but both Maurer and Shrout will improve next season. I do worry about Maurer's durability now, but having Hill and Bailey does give us more options.
Yes. Hill, Maurer and Bailey is a nice QB room.

Guys that first concussion was a bad fluke play when his facemask got stuck in the turf. Last night was just dumb luck. It happened at the wrong time. He will be fine with some juice and an energy bar.

Kinda going with the worst case scenario there for sure. You may be right, but I think you are way premature on your totally negative thinking there. GBO!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Guys that first concussion was a bad fluke play when his facemask got stuck in the turf. Last night was just dumb luck. It happened at the wrong time. He will be fine with some juice and an energy bar.

The Gumps were getting uncomfortable. That late hit by a freshman LB on Maurer went just as they planned it to occur. iI he had targeted and got caught, frosh LB out, no major loss, but he simply made the late hit instead.

I believe a 2 Qb rotation to some degree is a workable solution in today’s game and creates additional pressure on a defense to prepare.

Kinda going with the worst case scenario there for sure. You may be right, but I think you are way premature on your totally negative thinking there. GBO!
Being realistic too. I predict JG and Shrout leave after this year. So we’d have 3 scholarship QBs, and we can debate whether that’s enough.

Don’t give up on Strout. He was neck and neck in preseason as who would be #2. A few of us are old enough to remember Pat Ryan who hung around until his senior season.

Reactions: SmokinBob

If Shrout moves up to #2 this week as he should then he will probably stay at least one more year. IMHO, you have more with him than Hill.

Maurer has a great future if he can start avoiding issues.

I expect JG to leave but who knows. There are lots of reasons outside of football that could keep him around. He could have academic goals that he can fulfill at UT. Maybe he has personal relationships that are more important to him than football. Unless he goes FCS or Division II, there's really no guarantee he'll start even if he transfers. That said, if football is important to him then a change of scenery would likely be the best thing for him. There's too much baggage at UT for him to try to overcome.

Dumb luck? You mean a cheap shot by number 35 for Bama after the ball was out of Brian's hands. It was a dirty cheap shot on a kid recovering from a concussion. What happened is what was meant to happen.

VN Store

Back