More More More JJJ

Vescovi is currently the weakest link of those guards. His playing time is simply buoyed by the idea that Barnes believes him to be the closest semblance of a PG that we have available (he's not one) and having more experience than the 2 freshmen. Of the 5 guards, he's statistically the 2nd weakest offensive player and the 2nd weakest defender. Thru the 3 SEC games, he has 5 assts and 6 TOs. He's also shooting 11-29 (37.9%) in those games.
Simply, he’s underperformed in SEC play and has a hard time offensively and defensively against SEC guards. His decision-making the last 2 games has baffled me at times.

He definitely has value. At the end of a close game, I think you want him in there, especially with a lead and the other team fouling like last night. He is probably our best FT shooter and he is one of our two best outside shooters.
My issue with having him in near the end of a tight game is his ball-handling under intense pressure. He hit two important FT’s, but his offensive and defensive liabilities are scary. Kind of a catch-22. Last night was an example and his decision-making in the Bama game was not good.

Vescovi has definitely regressed from last year. Maybe it’s the hair?? However, there will be games where he knocks down 3 or 4 three’s. Plus, he iced it tonight with his FT’s.
Please provide the stats backing your regressed position. His minutes are down due to more quality options competing on the wing but the quality of his overall play hasn’t regressed IMO

Reactions: livefaith
SV hasn’t regressed. He’s still the same elite shooter and Savy player. The issue is he hasn’t gotten any better either and he really needed to improved ball handling with his right hand and quickness. That hasn’t happened

That’s why we see him moving more off the ball and why JimmyD mentioned Barnes doing a good job of moving him off the ball last night.

SV hasn’t regressed. He’s still the same elite shooter and Savy player. The issue is he hasn’t gotten any better either and he really needed to improved ball handling with his right hand and quickness. That hasn’t happened

That’s why we see him moving more off the ball and why JimmyD mentioned Barnes doing a good job of moving him off the ball last night.
He has clearly improved his defense as CRB has stated. For example, 2 plays last night where he anticipated and got in position to take a charge on the 6-10 guy and another where he beat the cutter to the spot under the basket for the steal. He is dribbling better to the right then last year but still has room for improvement there.

Reactions: gainesvol82
He has clearly improved his defense as CRB has stated. For example, 2 plays last night where he anticipated and got in position to take a charge on the 6-10 guy and another where he beat the cutter to the spot under the basket for the steal. He is dribbling better to the right then last year but still has room for improvement there.

I agree I think he’s better defensively.

Somebody tell JJJ that he has the keys!

He is the driver of this bus and he’s the damn 5 star to take this team to the promised land!

Much needed change in aggressiveness tonight and that must continue!!

We don’t win tonight without it that’s for sure!

This x 100. When he got his confidence after those two shots it was like a different player. He has the ability to take over the game, he just needs to realize it. Conversely Bailey should be required to pass at the end of every fast break for the next 5 games. If the guy knew how to dish on a break we'd have at least 10 more points over the past two games.

He has gotten better, defensively, but that is really an indictment of how poorly he played defensively, last year. He continues to struggle guarding SEC guards.

He is also really good in anticipation on both ends of the floor, but his brain often outperforms his athleticism. Often times, he sees something, but he isn’t quick enough to execute it because of a lack of quickness and athleticism, or he gets himself in a position where his only choice is to make a bad play.

To put it simply, his limitations in ball-handling and athleticism have really come to a head in the 3 SEC games.

Reactions: BruinVol
He wants him to defend better, Barnes had strong words for Fulky after last game
Of our five guards, Bailey is the weakest defender, statistically. But he is also the strongest offensive player, statistically. Hard to bench the guy when you need someone to take charge and score points. JJJ helped to shoulder that load, offensively, which made it easier to bench Bailey at the end.

Side note: JJJ has the highest aggregate offensive and defensive rating, which is why he was my choice for most important player.

As of Tennessee's last game on March 3rd

He also has a substantial lead in +/- in leading the SEC in that category at 13.7. Next closest is Jordan Bruner at 11.8. FWIW, Bailey is 5th and Fulky is 8th in the SEC, respectively.

Somebody tell JJJ that he has the keys!

He is the driver of this bus and he’s the damn 5 star to take this team to the promised land!

Much needed change in aggressiveness tonight and that must continue!!

We don’t win tonight without it that’s for sure!
Sure wish he wouldn’t blow a lay-up or two each game. His lay-up misses clang off the board and do not draw iron. Perplexing...
Otherwise, solid performer and appears to be a solid person as well.

Sure wish he wouldn’t blow a lay-up or two each game. His lay-up misses clang off the board and do not draw iron. Perplexing...
I only remember one miss, last night, and he got fouled on it.

Reactions: Lankykong

It’s odd how many of those he misses with the left hand. He finally made that one and one last night

Im not 100% but think I am correct
I just looked at the play-by-play transcript. With 4:49 to play, JJJ made a layup. 0:12 later, he gets a steal and is fouled at the 4:32 mark and shoots two FTs, where he makes the first and misses the second.

So I reviewing it, I do think he made the first layup and then missed the 2nd, but was fouled, as was originally stated.

VN Store

Back