More More More JJJ

I think Barnes must be pushing JJJ to be more aggressive. Kind of like how Jordan Bone would go scoreless some nights, but Barnes was able to slowly nudge him over time to take more shots.

It wouldn't hurt to give JJJ a quota to take "x" shots..

I think Barnes must be pushing JJJ to be more aggressive. Kind of like how Jordan Bone would go scoreless some nights, but Barnes was able to slowly nudge him over time to take more shots.

It wouldn't hurt to give JJJ a quota to take "x" shots..

A very telling quote from Barnes tonight “he’s starting to be the voice of our team”

That’s a quote with a lot of meaning

Vescovi is currently the weakest link of those guards. His playing time is simply buoyed by the idea that Barnes believes him to be the closest semblance of a PG that we have available (he's not one) and having more experience than the 2 freshmen. Of the 5 guards, he's statistically the 2nd weakest offensive player and the 2nd weakest defender. Thru the 3 SEC games, he has 5 assts and 6 TOs. He's also shooting 11-29 (37.9%) in those games.
Agree with all that. Who do you have as the weakest guard on D? Bailey?

A very telling quote from Barnes tonight “he’s starting to be the voice of our team”

That stuck out to me too. Big praise for a sophomore on a team with two starting seniors

Reactions: BruinVol
Vescovi is currently the weakest link of those guards. His playing time is simply buoyed by the idea that Barnes believes him to be the closest semblance of a PG that we have available (he's not one) and having more experience than the 2 freshmen. Of the 5 guards, he's statistically the 2nd weakest offensive player and the 2nd weakest defender. Thru the 3 SEC games, he has 5 assts and 6 TOs. He's also shooting 11-29 (37.9%) in those games.
True. I like Vescovi but productivity matters and he really shouldn’t have been in the game at the end. The 2 made FT notwithstanding, his defense at the end and the turnover were very costly. He has to start playing better, especially knocking down a good % of his wide open 3 pt attempts or he deserves to lose minutes. Kudos to Keon for knocking down 6 FTs in a row. Springer still looked a bit injured, and hope he recovers fully soon.

Your vision is clouded by your dogged desire to be correct. SV shot poorly tonight, but you choose to ignore the charge he took and the steals along with the clutch ft’s at the end. His shot was off and CRB awarded SV with fewer minutes than normal. Last game Bailey struggled and found himself coming off the bench tonight. KJ and Springer still get lost in the switching team defense at times and their offense runs hot and cold. JJJ has played the most consistently of the 5. SV has won UT some games and will continue to do so in the future. Your obsession with painting him as terrible has become obnoxious

That stuck out to me too. Big praise for a sophomore on a team with two starting seniors
It was a challenge statement more than anything. It is up to James to embrace it. I think he has the ability but he has to score consistently every game. Who would have thought at the beginning of the year that Bailey would be our most important scorer at this point?

Your vision is clouded by your dogged desire to be correct. SV shot poorly tonight, but you choose to ignore the charge he took and the steals along with the clutch ft’s at the end. His shot was off and CRB awarded SV with fewer minutes than normal. Last game Bailey struggled and found himself coming off the bench tonight. KJ and Springer still get lost in the switching team defense at times and their offense runs hot and cold. JJJ has played the most consistently of the 5. SV has won UT some games and will continue to do so in the future. Your obsession with painting him as terrible has become obnoxious

not sure who you are directing this toward but I like SV. I think he’s far from terrible and a very good 2 guard. I do think when he is struggling from 3 his value is way down though.

And I’d rather have him shooting those free throws than anyone at the end

Reactions: Bennessee01
not sure who you are directing this toward but I like SV. I think he’s far from terrible and a very good 2 guard. I do think when he is struggling from 3 his value is way down though.

And I’d rather have him shooting those free throws than anyone at the end
You - review your 300 posts in the past 10 days and you will find plenty of shade being thrown on SV.

Did you see him walk towards the bench clapping his hands emphatically after getting fouled going to the basket in the 2nd half? That stuck out to me. He is becoming more vocal.

True. I like Vescovi but productivity matters and he really shouldn’t have been in the game at the end. The 2 made FT notwithstanding, his defense at the end and the turnover were very costly. He has to start playing better, especially knocking down a good % of his wide open 3 pt attempts or he deserves to lose minutes. Kudos to Keon for knocking down 6 FTs in a row. Springer still looked a bit injured, and hope he recovers fully soon.
Yeah, Springer looked a step slow, and I'm sure he was taking it easy on that bum wheel. No way he misses those two layups (especially the second miss) if he's fully healthy.

Did you see him walk towards the bench clapping his hands emphatically after getting fouled going to the basket in the 2nd half? That stuck out to me. He is becoming more vocal.

Yep. He had a noticeably different body language tonight. Maybe the fire deal was a factor

You - review your 300 posts in the past 10 days and you will find plenty of shade being thrown on SV.

You will find plenty of positive post from me regarding him being a dang good valuable player. In fact just last week I posted I could see him making a kickout 3 from springer to win an elite 8 game.
but yea you only see the negative

It tells of what an advantage we have with our guards, some are better at some things than others. If we’re needing lockdown D to navigate screens and stop penetration, I’m rolling JJJ, Springer and Keon. If we’re needing 3’s or free throws, JJJ, Bailey and Vescovi. If we’re needing penetration, I think Keon and Jaden could get a decent 12 foot and in shot about anytime they wanted it. Or break down a guard for a drive and dish if helped on. If JJJ makes decisions like he did tonight when to drive the ball, pass, take the shot, etc and his D, I want him on the floor as much as possible

I even think sometimes we should try a 4 guard lineup with JJJ playing the 4 and even being a point forward type player, with either Pons or Fulky at the 5. I really think this lineup could give teams fits defensively and our guards rebound defensively very well.

Reactions: gainesvol82
For this team to reach its full potential, JJJ is going to have to continue to improve his offensive production. As you point out, be more aggressive and don’t be scared to take the shots he’s given. Guy is good.
If he wants to play the league, he need his to make his statement.

Reactions: Bennessee01
Dammit. I agree again. STAHP!

Vescovi has definitely regressed from last year. Maybe it’s the hair?? However, there will be games where he knocks down 3 or 4 three’s. Plus, he iced it tonight with his FT’s.

Vescovi has definitely regressed from last year. Maybe it’s the hair?? However, there will be games where he knocks down 3 or 4 three’s. Plus, he iced it tonight with his FT’s.
He definitely has value. At the end of a close game, I think you want him in there, especially with a lead and the other team fouling like last night. He is probably our best FT shooter and he is one of our two best outside shooters.

VN Store

Back