More love for CBP and team

Very good article. I have recently got into this very discussion with some high school coach friends of mine, many of whom said they would refuse to foul because you could lose the game in regulation, whereas if you don't foul and someone hits the 3, you at least get overtime.

For instance, say you foul purposely and give them 2 free throws. They make the first one. Now, after missing the 2nd one on purpose, someone tips the ball out and it winds up in the hands of a shooter behind the arc, he hits the shot to put his team up by 1 and they win the game in regulation.

So, I guess you have to ask yourself which is more likely given the opposition's personel. A make, then miss, free throw, tipped out to an open shooter, and oh, by the way, he makes it at the buzzer for a 4 point play within 3 seconds to win the game. Or do you not foul and give up a 3 to tie the game and go into overtime.

I say Pearl made the right decision and anyone that doesn't foul is being a fool...

There was a somewhat heated discussion on the NCAA boards about this. Some UVA fans said this was cowardly and classless just like CBP. I am glad he made the decision to foul. Otherwise we might be done for the year.

There was a somewhat heated discussion on the NCAA boards about this. Some UVA fans said this was cowardly and classless just like CBP. I am glad he made the decision to foul. Otherwise we might be done for the year.

OK, coaching to win is classless? Ask the xavier coach, I bet he would take classless.:eek:lol:

I would put it up there with fouling to stop the clock. You do what you must to put your team in a position to win.

CBP addressed it in his post-game press conf. He said you force them to make 4 plays to win instead of just 1. Thought it was a good decision.

If you fail to rebound a missed free throw and give up a three in the same sequence, you deserve to lose. There is absolutely no reason to give a team a look at the shot to tie the game.

If you fail to rebound a missed free throw and give up a three in the same sequence, you deserve to lose. There is absolutely no reason to give a team a look at the shot to tie the game.

I very much agree with that. However, with that said, there is no reason to depend on a rebound when simply fouling and getting the ball to Lofton should be more than enough to win the game.

Some UVA fans said this was cowardly and classless just like CBP.

Those fans have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. If that's the case, was it classless of UVA to intentionally foul us the last 5 times we had the ball?

VN Store

Back