More Boilermakers out

Missing players has always been part of the game. You can have your rathers all you want, but a win is a win. As I stated earlier, no one is going to look back on this game and see which team had more players out. Even if they did, they wouldn’t change the letter in the W/L column due to it. You think the national champs every year care how many players were out from opposing teams? You think our players would care if we beat a bama team who could barely field a team? If we wanted to play teams at full health every week we could always just move to the …… oh wait that doesn’t exist.

So if Purdue wins the game there will be no references to losing to a diminished roster. Right? :)

It's like people in here want our team to suit up in wool uniforms and no underwear because Purdue can't get their players to class.

We get it. We'd all rather beat the best at their healthiest. But football is all about the breaks on and off the field. For every team, including UT. Saying, "Looks like Purdue just got easier to beat" isn't saying we'd all rather play in the MAC, and it's asinine to infer that.

Rocket... if you look at the Purdue Logo, it is an old steam engine from back in the 1800's. the steam engine was powered by a large boiler that burned wood and heated water to propel the train forward. Hope that helps.

Sorry, but I didn't use the blue font. OP misspelled Boilermaker in the thread title. I was just being my typical smart-a$$.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
I would rather beat a healthy team rather than a team missing several starters.

I agree, but I'd add that, this year at least, I'd rather beat a team missing several starters than lose to a healthy team. I would argue, furthermore, that we've played this whole season missing several starters (when transfers, injuries, and academic failure are taken into account).

Just announced, #2 WR, starting CB and starting tackle not playing in bowl game for Purdue. Things are looking better all the time. GBO.
I think we'd beat them with their whole team playing. Just gives more fuel to the 12 team playoff supporters.

We shouldn't be challenged in this game regardless if Purdue is at full strength or not.

So if Purdue wins the game there will be no references to losing to a diminished roster. Right? :)
There could be references in every game. Even the first game of the season doesn’t mean a full healthy roster. My point is, the references to winning/losing against a diminished roster are pointless and will themselves diminish over time. No one cares how my players were missing on the losing team in last years championship, they only care who won.

I just want to win I do not care who we beat. Bowls are just glorified exhibition games and a celebration of football for us to enjoy during the holiday season. I expect if history is any indication only 1 game of the 3 in the playoffs will be competitive. I use to watch every bowl game until they started dragging them out for the entire weeks leading up to the BCS game. Friday night I will note who is winning etc if the games are on in the background of New Years eve revelry. The only surprise will be if Bama does not have a public world stage beat down of who ever they play in the game on Jan 10th. I hate GA, Bama and Michigan and the only joy I would get is if Cincy won it all. I have equal disdain for Bama Ga and Michigan. GA is in the east and it is not in UT's best interest for them to win. Their fans and the GA alum might well destroy Smart if he does not win. I am sick of Bama always winning. I can not stomach 12 months of ESPN, ABC, and the National Sports media drooling all over Michigan for winning the game. Cincy winning would be a "feel good" story for the pundits. I would sleep better knowing the Bama, GA and Michigan orgs were in pain. The one thing I know for sure is that the sports bars, Hot Wing restaurants, beer company sales, Poultry producers. and Liquor sales will skyrocket. In the mean time I am bored and wish College football had real parity.

Sounds good, but this is also a reason to cancel in their eyes. "Covid protocol" gets you out of everything

Me - "No thanks, honey. I can't go to your parents this weekend. Covid protocols"
I hope my wife doesn't think of this excuse next time I try and schedule date night

Reactions: vols 30
The Boilermakers will have players playing on both sides of the ball. A totally depleted team.

Just a heads up. Other people have different experiences than you every second of every day. 7.9 billion people to be exact. Leave it to the scientists and medical professionals who completely disagree with you, as it is very unlikely that you have the capability to understand anything outside of your immediate bubble.
Insults are not arguments. They just show ignorance. You made zero points, other than to call me dumb. Scientists and medical professionals have given us a vaccine that Covid doesn’t seem to care one way or the other about. That was the point I was trying to make.

I would rather beat a healthy team rather than a team missing several starters.
I agree with you.. But on the flip side.. If players are sitting because of NFL and can't play because of academics.. I don't think as much on it. If they have players hurt.. Those are the ones that wish I could play... cause I know those players are missing out as well.

Last edited:
I'll never understand this line of thinking. Beating someone that's nowhere near their best means exactly what? If it's just a win hell let's move to the MAC. We can get all kinds there
You make a good point but do you think any of the teams that have dominated TN in the last 15 years cared that TN was down? A win is a win

VN Store

Back