Monday Regional Finals discussion thread

I didn't say our bid didn't compete. I said that's "why folks were alluding earlier that USM's bid was far better than the Vols."
It's not far better. That's the distortion you are introducing. It might (or might not) could be viewed as better.

Reactions: feathersax
If it has the "line-of-sight" issues like vandie's Hawkins Field, that's definitely a problem.
I agree. I don't think Vandy should be allowed to host at all. 😂 But it was funny when their guys fell down looking into the lights they were so boastful about.

Reactions: feathersax
I see greater than 6K only once above.

but yet every one of those listed is higher than LNS's highest-ever attendance. There are several areas where Vols can make a better argument. I don't think facilities and tickets sold are one of them. Earlier in another thread, there were posts stating that Basillio said today that USM's bid was significantly better than ours. The only explanation for that would be a guarantee of tickets sold. There's nothing else that would account for a large discrepancy in bid amounts, imo.

Per their own records they have only reached 6K ONCE!

Yes, and as another poster pointed out, it was a regular season game. My guess is they can only sell so many seats for the NCAAT. They can sell extra SRO during the regular season.

Edit: actually, that was you!

It's not far better. That's the distortion you are introducing. It might (or might not) could be viewed as better.

This is basically all I’m trying to say. No one has said, or could objectively say, USM has a “far better” bid. No one has seen the bids and objectively outside of stadium seating capacity nothing about USM (Conference USA, small city) vs Tennessee (SEC, big city) would suggest that their revenue package would be several orders of magnitude better than us. The bids are probably a lot closer than people think and USM will get the nod because of politics (AKA not wanting 4 or 5 SEC hosts out of 8 super hosts).

Been seeing a lot of kudos for Southern Miss’s program around the inter webs and on the bird app by Vol and baseball fans alike. Southern Miss is a good program for their level, but they are not a more accomplished program than Tennessee and Tennessee was an SEC doormat for a long time. We have 5 trips to Omaha vs their 1. 6 regional titles to their 3. Our stadium, while not the greatest, has a capacity 87 seats larger. Our RPI score is higher. Knoxville is a much bigger and better town than Hattiesburg (4x larger to be exact) with the ability to accommodate more people. Should be a no brainer, but this is the NCAA we’re talking about…

but yet every one of those listed is higher than LNS's highest-ever attendance. There are several areas where Vols can make a better argument. I don't think facilities and tickets sold are one of them. Earlier in another thread, there were posts stating that Basillio said today that USM's bid was significantly better than ours. The only explanation for that would be a guarantee of tickets sold. There's nothing else that would account for a large discrepancy in bid amounts, imo.

Both teams would sell out regardless. So, a guarantee is just the number of tickets that can be sold.

If it has the "line-of-sight" issues like vandie's Hawkins Field, that's definitely a problem.
It won't block the view of the scoreboard if Vandy wants to host a watch party to see the Vols win the super, will it? Arky could fly in. And they could hold hands.

You absolutely said far better.
I find it highly unlikely Southern Miss outbid Tennessee or Danny White. Money wise they cannot compete.

I'm not going to argue with semantics. I was not randomly saying that the bid was far better. That is what was said in Knoxville Sports radio today. Additionally, it's not that kind of bid. It's not an auction to the highest bidder. It's a bid that says:

1. Can you physically host the event? (are there any conflicts with other events that would prevent you from using your field and facilities)
2. Are there enough hotel rooms available for visiting teams and guests (see debacle with KY last week. Is Taylor swift coming to town the same weekend)
3. What is your bid for the ticket sales guarantee

Hattiesburg is smaller than Terre Haute by 10,000 people population size, yet I’m supposed to believe Hattiesburg will be a better choice than Terre Haute??? I hate this for ISU.

Oh so it is because of the Special Olympics at Indiana State. They should have had more confidence!

But they didn't enforce the hotel room distance on the Krogers.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back