Momentum to curb fake injuries

There are several good ways to do it... It is nowhere near as complicated as they're acting. You could require a player to stay out for the rest of that possession. You could have them stay out for a certain number of plays. You could have them stay out for a certain amount of game clock. I would actually prefer the last since it would punish teams even worse if they did it to stop up tempo O's... which is the main problem. I haven't seen guys faking injuries on teams that use up the play clock.

May have been posted already. Interesting. Good to see some serious discussions. Ironic to see Layne comments.
NCAA rules committee exploring changes to limit faked injuries in college football

Right now, it's just talk. It will mean nothing until they establish rules that have teeth. Sideline the player for the remainder of the series. If the same player has an "injury" again, remove the player from the game for the sake of his physical "safety." After all, the conference needs to protect players opting to or coerced into playing through an injury and worsening their health, right? If a team has multiple random players exhibiting injury, or circumventing with fake injures, charge timeouts and insist said players be examined by a licensed physician either at the game or at a local hospital. After all, the coaches and trainers may not be preparing their players for the rigors of a contact sport such as football. Make rules that bite you in the arse and leaves teeth marks. Otherwise, coaches will just figure out how to skirt weak rules and get away with it. De-Sabanize and UnKiffin the game once and for all.

Last edited:
New Rule: If it’s determined that a player is faking an injury, he must go to the sideline and a group of players from the opponent will inflect the actual injury he was faking
Problem solved

Either that or make him a de facto member of the Addams family.

15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty and ejected for the rest of the game and the next one too if the ref on the field feels like it’s a fake injury.

If the coach pitches a fit, flag them too and eject them for the rest of the game and then 3 more.

That would stop fake injuries. Catching a cramp counts as a fake if it delays the game, so flag it too.

Just add the same rules as targeting.
They are trying to protect the integrity of the game, so it should be worse.

Even with real injuries the team with the injured player can’t meet with coaches while waiting on the other hash and only the injured get a sub, while the other team can meet with coaches and sub at will.

There can never be a rule that would judge if a player is "faking" an injury. However, for sake of player safety, just like targeting is for player safety, that player should at least sit out for the drive and not allowed back until he has been evaluated by a doctor. The idea of playing through an injury, no coach is going to put up with that, they would be a weakness for the team.

The most obvious action should be that once an injury has been signaled, the players stay in place with no other substitutions and the coach is not allowed to communicate with non-injured players on the field until play continues. I think Ole Miss got 14 free time outs in the second half of our game.

This isn't hard.... If a player is injured, said player is done (for his / her safety) for X amount of time during the game.

In football, the rest of the possession seems reasonable to me....

Reactions: dovervolz and KHVol
There are several good ways to do it... It is nowhere near as complicated as they're acting. You could require a player to stay out for the rest of that possession. You could have them stay out for a certain number of plays. You could have them stay out for a certain amount of game clock. I would actually prefer the last since it would punish teams even worse if they did it to stop up tempo O's... which is the main problem. I haven't seen guys faking injuries on teams that use up the play clock.
The easy obvious counter to all this is to just send in a player with no name on his jersey (walk on) and have him take the punishment for the penalty
Easy loophole around it

That’s rich putting comments from Kiffin in there. Worst offender in the country.
Kiffin is essentially telling the NCAA/SEC that he'll keep doing it unless they do something pretty drastic: player is out for X plays and/or penalty and/or league review and fine for the program.

The league has to think long and hard about anything that might make a player "Youngblood" (he played with a broken leg) rather than come out or risk getting a penalty in a key situation.

The personal injury attorneys are circling like buzzards waiting for a situation where a kid is encouraged to stay up/stay in when injured and gets hurt worse.

"The league created a situation where safety isn't the #1 priority for the players....."

Reactions: KHVol
The solution has to involve more sanction then just having them be out for the remainder of the possession, otherwise coaches will still cheat and just use the time to rotate defensive linemen to keep them fresh without any penalty on subsequent drive. It has to be multiple possessions or a quarter/half to have any deterrent effect.

Reading Kiffin’s comments make me want to vomit. He has no ethical standing to even be a part of the conversation.

And I love how the inclusion of Kiffin’s mouth sewage in the article would give a casual reader unfamiliar with the reality of the UT-Ole Miss game the impression that it was Ole Miss who was getting messed over by fakers (after all, it’s their coach being asked about it).

Lane Kiffin sucks. And so do all the other injury-faking losers.

Reactions: UTblood4life
Kiffin is essentially telling the NCAA/SEC that he'll keep doing it unless they do something pretty drastic: player is out for X plays and/or penalty and/or league review and fine for the program.

The league has to think long and hard about anything that might make a player "Youngblood" (he played with a broken leg) rather than come out or risk getting a penalty in a key situation.

The personal injury attorneys are circling like buzzards waiting for a situation where a kid is encouraged to stay up/stay in when injured and gets hurt worse.

"The league created a situation where safety isn't the #1 priority for the players....."
That’s why I think making any “injury” sit out for a series or maybe the rest of a quarter is the way to go. And if they do it in the fourth qtr, they are out for the game. If it’s fake, it’s punishment. If the injury is real, it gives them time to evaluate it and the player isn’t put in danger. Works either way. They wouldn’t have the courage to do it though.

Agree, but he ain't wrong in what he said. Sort of like shoplifting in California. He's saying it'll keep happening (he will continue) until there are consequences.
Oh he’s right for sure. I just find it absurd that they picked the coach to speak who is the most egregious offender of them all when it comes to flopping.

Reactions: ptcarter

VN Store

Back