Modern day 40 acres and a mule?

Seriously? How many young black folk want to be farmers? This is a damn joke.
Farm land must have water.
Most western US land does not.
Grows only tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes or is at too high an elevation to have a growing season.
There is a reason it was not settled in the first place.

Reactions: AM64
The government took several hundred acres of my family’s land for the Manhattan project. What about us?
Research TVA taking farm land for Nickajack reservoir back in the sixties
Not for what was flooded..
TVA did a land swap brokered by John Thunder Thorton for development about 15 years ago.
The TVA board all resigned the next day.
Thorton divested of the holdings quickly.
Rarity was born and then died during the 2007 bubble crash.
The original farmer's heirs could never get a court to look at a lawsuit to return the land.
No land will be returned to black folk or anyone else.

Well again, from the story I saw, this is mainly directed towards people that are farmers right now... "ideally", you are not going to get a bunch of first time farmers jumping on tis. I doubt very seriously that you are going to get a bunch of city folk wanting to move out to the country and work a farm in the middle of no where.
Green acres comes to mind.

However, I do not agree to the buying and selling of land that may have become generational since that happened back maybe a hundred years ago. Again, the USG has plenty of arable land it could easily part with without spending money they don't have. Put it on a tax deferment or something for 10 years to help, but again, the government getting involved is not the answer.
I would say a good number of these issues occurred between the 1960s and 1980s. One of the guys in the video I saw was denied USDA assistance during the 70s and could barely keep his head above water. Then he got into farm raising catfish, got it profitable and ended up losing land during that venture because he wasn't given equal USDA assistance to help him maintain his business.

And if we really want to talk about welfare honestly, with some of these subsidies and USDA assistance, farming is welfare, also.

I would say a good number of these issues occurred between the 1960s and 1980s. One of the guys in the video I saw was denied USDA assistance during the 70s and could barely keep his head above water. Then he got into farm raising catfish, got it profitable and ended up losing land during that venture because he wasn't given equal USDA assistance to help him maintain his business.

And if we really want to talk about welfare honestly, with some of these subsidies and USDA assistance, farming is welfare, also.

Fair enough.

One didn't really think of catfish farming lol but it does generate a tidy profit I'd bet.

So... where are they getting that 160 acres per person from?

Bill that could help Black farmers reclaim millions of acres 'a step in the right direction'

Now, I'm all about making a case to give land or equal valued property which were taken unlawfully. But you damn well better make sure that person receiving it has legal claim to it. Furthermore, the government holds a metric butt-ton of land that could easily be repurposed for such a thing without going through all the trouble of trying to figure out who has legal claim to what.

Otherwise, we have this thing called Zimbabwe and the trouble such things caused when you "redistribute" lands.

Get used to income and property redistribution, it’s called Communism

There's a different vantage point, too. Refer to hog for details, but could we afford milk and other farm products if not for subsidies? Sometimes I think people need to step back and figure out who the beneficiaries of farm subsidies are. In a way it's the flip side of who pays corporate income taxes. Both look simple on the surface, but deeper down the reality is somewhat different.

There's a different vantage point, too. Refer to hog for details, but could we afford milk and other farm products if not for subsidies? Sometimes I think people need to step back and figure out who the beneficiaries of farm subsidies are. In a way it's the flip side of who pays corporate income taxes. Both look simple on the surface, but deeper down the reality is somewhat different.
Well see, the original concern was that if you bring in all of these farmers to the market, that it could potentially drive down prices.

Its a complicated issue. If you need subsidies to keep costs down, there needs to be a way to fix past problems that drove farmers out of the business when they were not treated fairly. On the other hand, you don't want to have too many farmers because it will (likely) drive down prices because of oversaturation/oversupply.

If the demand for milk and other crops is there the market will sort it out. If you rip the bandaid off yes the price would certainly go up sharply because it's artificially lowered and demand may fall. But you would also see lowered prices, more entrants to that market, and more innovations to increase yield and efficiency provided the ROI is there.

Well see, the original concern was that if you bring in all of these farmers to the market, that it could potentially drive down prices.

Its a complicated issue. If you need subsidies to keep costs down, there needs to be a way to fix past problems that drove farmers out of the business when they were not treated fairly. On the other hand, you don't want to have too many farmers because it will (likely) drive down prices because of oversaturation/oversupply.

You let bygones be bygones and end subsidies. Let agriculture be a free market and it will take a while but prices would level off.

You let bygones be bygones and end subsidies. Let agriculture be a free market and it will take a while but prices would level off.

Propping up inefficient and poorly run power/energy companies with subsidies for no other reason than the government and some bureaucrats saying so, regardless of sense or reasoning saying otherwise, in the same light as agriculture and so many other sectors.

The country is so down the wrong rabbit holes and lacking real perspective and simple common sense.

I want to say I feel bad for everyone, but, I really do not.

Fair enough.

One didn't really think of catfish farming lol but it does generate a tidy profit I'd bet.

The catfish farming industry used to be huge in Mississippi and other places. Cheaper catfish imported from China put many of them out of business.

Good point, additionally before folks get bent too out of shape we should ponder how the cost of this would equate to the handouts the farmers got due to the tarrif fiasco.
Tariffs are a great idea. When AAPL feels enough pain to move out of China, they will have worked. It takes a little time. But now we'll go right back to being bent over by Ho Chi Minh.

What I meant was that I wondered how many people would remember Dukakis suggesting that Iowa farmers grow some crop that they had never heard of, in order to stay afloat. He was mocked for the statement............like how can a guy who has never stepped foot on a farm think he can tell me what I should grow?.
Because government is god

Reactions: Y9 Vol and AM64
Research TVA taking farm land for Nickajack reservoir back in the sixties
Not for what was flooded..
TVA did a land swap brokered by John Thunder Thorton for development about 15 years ago.
The TVA board all resigned the next day.
Thorton divested of the holdings quickly.
Rarity was born and then died during the 2007 bubble crash.
The original farmer's heirs could never get a court to look at a lawsuit to return the land.
No land will be returned to black folk or anyone else.

TVA took land in a lot of places. Stewart County, TN and in KY. for the Land Between the Lakes. In Maury County, TN. for the Columbia dam which was partly built, then torn down after a lawsuit over mussels, land was never returned to original owners.

TVA took land in a lot of places. Stewart County, TN and in KY. for the Land Between the Lakes. In Maury County, TN. for the Columbia dam which was partly built, then torn down after a lawsuit over mussels, land was never returned to original owners.
The Tellico dam project was a wonderment in stealing from the citizens. Once they finally won the battle over the snail darter and were allowed to close the gates on the dam TVA had to run off the residents on condemned property. In many cases people owned hundreds of acres and only had 2 or 3 that would be flooded and TVA took all of it.
We now have Tellico lake (which is nice), but we also have Tellico village and huge lake houses residing on former farm land seized to make these lake lots available.

I don't eat stuff that has been underwater, so ....not my problem.
I had a nice Tilapia fillet farm raised in some Asian country for lunch today, it was quite nice. I can't believe you don't eat seafood, I love it.

VN Store

Back