Mob Mentality

Alright everyone,

Something that I’ve noticed out of Vol Nation (and I love Vol Nation to death) is the mob mentality we have when something goes haywire, not according to plan, or what we deem is unfair. For instance, we gave this team hell after the first two games of the season but they turned it around. Some people were calling for Pruitt to be fired. Now I look on Twitter and see people cussing out Greg Sankey for Jenning’s suspension. In my opinion, none of this outrage culture we have at Vol Nation will attract recruits, it won’t attract good coaches, and it won’t attract popular opinion within the SEC, media outlets or the college football playoff committee once we get to the point to be considered by them. My point being.... everyone RELAX. Stop being outraged by everything. Stop curb stomping the hell out of people if you disagree with something they say about us. Everything we say and do in this mob mentality will be looked at with a magnifying glass by the media and will burn more fuel to the fire in why they would want to hate us more. Just take it easy, have patience, trust our team and our coaches, and enjoy the process of being brought back to the top. This is something I’ve seen we need to improve on as a fan base. I love the passion. I love the energy. We just need to be smart about it now.
You act as if UT is the only message board in the world. Every school has at least one and they all act and react the same. Go read the BAMA boards. It’s the same things we were saying after the GSU loss.

Reactions: VOLSONLY and njvols
80% of the posters and fans in general have no clue what they’re talking about. They just repeat what they have heard creating a viral situation.

So what you're saying is that you've noticed that this group of people, who are United by our common love for the same team, who are United by our shared experiences throughout the years following this team, who are United by our similar upbringings, who are United by our favorite color, and who are United by our burning passionate hate for the Bammers have a United response to events concerning Tennessee?

That's not a mob, OP.

That's a Nation

Alright everyone,

Something that I’ve noticed out of Vol Nation (and I love Vol Nation to death) is the mob mentality we have when something goes haywire, not according to plan, or what we deem is unfair. For instance, we gave this team hell after the first two games of the season but they turned it around. Some people were calling for Pruitt to be fired. Now I look on Twitter and see people cussing out Greg Sankey for Jenning’s suspension. In my opinion, none of this outrage culture we have at Vol Nation will attract recruits, it won’t attract good coaches, and it won’t attract popular opinion within the SEC, media outlets or the college football playoff committee once we get to the point to be considered by them. My point being.... everyone RELAX. Stop being outraged by everything. Stop curb stomping the hell out of people if you disagree with something they say about us. Everything we say and do in this mob mentality will be looked at with a magnifying glass by the media and will burn more fuel to the fire in why they would want to hate us more. Just take it easy, have patience, trust our team and our coaches, and enjoy the process of being brought back to the top. This is something I’ve seen we need to improve on as a fan base. I love the passion. I love the energy. We just need to be smart about it now.
Recruits who don’t sign because of a message board would find something else to quit the team over. #Git!

OP is correct, we go over the top. I've addressed this before only to get flamed to hell and back. For me, I've had to reconcile all the madness....it goes a little like this, " yes, we get crazy, probably more crazy than most other fan base." You have to think of it as family. Regardless of what "your" family does, you're going to fight the gates of hell for them." We are a "family" who has a deep passion, that passion boils over into craziness on occasion. I like to believe, from coach to the players, they feel nothing but "crazy" love most of the time.

**Edit* The only reason this thread didn't get more attention, it went up just before midnight. You should prepare for heated discussion a little later this morning. Hope you're up for it. You may feel the mob mentality first hand. lol....... GBO! :)

For sure, but just because we’re not the only fan base that acts like that does that mean it’s right to act like that? These guys are kids man. They’re 18-23 years old. Everyone just needs to relax and enjoy the process. We’re not going to turn our program around from the dumpster fire we had when Pruitt first took over to an SEC championship contender over night.
Overnight?

How long do you sleep??

And it appears it actually got turned around in less than overnight. In the span of a team meeting post Florida game, this team turned around. So going into the third season with CJP doesnt come close to qualifying as overnight.

And if you enjoyed the first two games of the season...

OP, any time you post here there will always be some that jump down your throat. People here love to argue.
The only issue I have with your post is: you refer to the players as kids. They are not kids. They are young adults who should have respect for themselves, their families, and the university. They are old enough to know right from wrong.
That is why my post last year was about UT recruiting stupid players. They do stupid things, ruin their future and embarrass our school, They are old enough to know better. Jennings comes to mind. First, he hits a guy out of bounds then steps on his face. NOT GOOD.
I agree with you. I wish our fans would have patience enough to let our coaches right this mess.
You will see some post from immature youngsters here. Don`t let it bother you.

Last edited:
Alright everyone,

What a crock

For sure, but just because we’re not the only fan base that acts like that does that mean it’s right to act like that? These guys are kids man. They’re 18-23 years old. Everyone just needs to relax and enjoy the process. We’re not going to turn our program around from the dumpster fire we had when Pruitt first took over to an SEC championship contender over night.
I think this thread will be what changes things.

Alright everyone,

Not limited to VN bro. Have you watched the news lately. That’s society now. Sad but true.

Reactions: savannahfan
Sharks frenzy feeding is what it is. Manifests itself on certain topics periodically.

Welcome to Society OP...

giphy.gif

You act as if UT is the only message board in the world. Every school has at least one and they all act and react the same. Go read the BAMA boards. It’s the same things we were saying after the GSU loss.
You'd think they are in true despair...GOAT coach, and they're saying the game has passed him by for losing two games, one to #1 team and other to their current biggest rival (UT doesn't count right now). EVERY SINGLE passionate fan base college the same...South Carolina boards are crazy too...and wait until UGA loses to LSU this weekend...everyone should put VN on pause and go over there for some must see posting.

I kind of like the overreactions of some people on this board. It's a sort of...comic relief. It's funny to see people jump off the "State of UT Football" cliff. You can easily pick them out as they run toward the cliff with shirts that say "Gruden", "Far Butch", "O Line sucks", "JG Sucks", "Shoulda been a TE", "GA State beat us!" ..wait that was my shirt. Ooooo here goes another one...his shirt says.."Volnation is a hateful mob". Annnd he gone. Lol.

Reactions: VOLSONLY and Tombo7
I’d agree it’s not a good look but speaking from a Yankee’s perspective, I LOVE the intense fanbases of SEC football and it’s just a part of the ride. The intensity is why the SEC gets all the recruits over the Big Ten and others...so this doesn’t help but the passion overall outweighs it by a “country mile.”

Well would ya look at that ya’ll! I’m talking southern ;)

VN Store

Back