'24 MO EDGE Kellen Lindstrom (Tennessee)

I mean I’m not going to pretend to know more than an SEC coaching staff, but they’re already showing signs of not being able to manage position groups. We currently have 18 OL on scholarship compared to just 7 WRs, 3 TEs, and 2 QBs. I love what this staff has done, but the whole cult mentality that they can do no wrong that the people on this site have is insane
You do realize that 9 are seniors. We will lose a good majority of them after this year.

As for the qbs... who would come in when you have Milton and Nico. Nobody that is gonna be better than Gaston imo.

Last edited:
I mean I’m not going to pretend to know more than an SEC coaching staff, but they’re already showing signs of not being able to manage position groups. We currently have 18 OL on scholarship compared to just 7 WRs, 3 TEs, and 2 QBs. I love what this staff has done, but the whole cult mentality that they can do no wrong that the people on this site have is insane
Despite the pushback, you're making some good points. My guess is that the "skewed numbers" reflect that staff has accumulated enough data on portal participation to determine that high value players are more likely to become available from certain positions, and less so from other positions.

An added guess would be that the numbers they've observed in the portal matched their predictions based on positional personality profiles, so now they're confident enough to adjust their HS recruiting accordingly.

But this guy sounds like a DL Peyton Manning--someone whose focus and work ethic make the people around him better in all phases of the game.

I'm just as excited that a guy of this character chose our team over all those others! I think that says the most.

Well, no. What is "insane" is your arrogance. You aren't "pretending" that you know more than them... you're saying it.

You don't know more than those guys. You aren't as smart. You don't have the information they do. You don't know what their strategy or needs are.

3 pages into this thread is just a quick reminder of why I have someone on ignore. If we had 5 WRs committed in a class and Jennings wanted to be a VOL would anyone care if we took 6 receivers? 18 year old kids who are solid leaders are unicorns. They make the coaches job easier and make their peers better. Also Im not going to directly address the poster in question, but if its a bad strategy to take this many HS in one year because they’re all going to graduate in a 2 year period then why can’t we take kids from the portal that year?

We have a poster who constantly likes to pontificate about recruits and roster management as if he (or she) were a GM, AD or college coach. Frankly, they should be in politics - given the fact that they like to post a lot, say very little meaningful content, and are mostly FOS.

I always wait like clockwork for these clowns to piss on a kid’s commitment thread .

3/12/23 article with quotes from Glendale head coach Mike Mauk and DL coach Grant Winstrom:

On his position fit…
Mauk: “I think he can play a lot of positions, but I think his best position is going to be on the end as an outside rush guy...He’s capable of dropping for the pass. He can do a lot of things, but his best thing is going to be being able to contain and rush off the edge and get to the quarterback. He’s six-five-and-a-half, close to six-six, 235 pounds right now and growing. He’s long and athletic. Long legs, long arms. Runs really well and works at getting better every day.”

On Lindstrom academically, a student-athlete with a 3.8 GPA…
Mauk: "You can preach (academics) and teach that and try to get your kids to follow through. And most of the time, they do. But he’s just going to the extremes with his desire to be really good at whatever he’s doing. So, he’s just got a great attitude and just a great student. I have him in class, he works hard there as well. He’s young, ambitious, and I don’t think he realizes the potential he has to be tremendously great…He has those characteristics.”

On what stands out most about Lindstrom…
Wistrom: “I think the two things that stand out the most to me about Kellen are his attitude and his effort. He does not take a play off. He runs until the whistle is blown. And just his attitude, too. He’s never satisfied. He’s always trying to better himself. And he’s coachable. He wants to be good. He doesn’t step on the field with an ego. He’s out there trying to get better every day. He’s athletic. He’s got physical gifts. He’s tough. He’s got a great attitude. There’s just not a lot of chinks in his armor.”

On Lindstrom’s position fit and potential…
Wistrom: “You know, guys up there coaching have forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know, and so if they find a spot to put him somewhere else, I’m sure they’ve got it right. But defensive end. I think he’s going to be a great defensive end. The kid’s just tenacious out there. He doesn’t stop. He’s a smart player. And he’s got a great work ethic. He’s not afraid to be a leader. He’s not afraid to stick his neck out and bring guys along with him.

“I’m not a great coach by any stretch of the imagination, but last year was the first year I think he’d been taught any sort of technique. And just to see the growth from the beginning of the season to the end – and there’s still a lot of room for improvement there – his growth was fantastic. Just a ton of upside on him I believe.”
Video Breakdown: Notre Dame DE Recruit Kellen Lindstrom

His HS position coach (Grant Wistrom) who is gushing over young Lindstrom in this article you kindly attached.. was an absolute stud DE at Nebraska back in the day. Wistrom won the Lombardi Award, played on national championship teams, and is in the College Football HOF. He was also a good NFL DE.

So, my point is that Wistrom knows what a great DE looks like, and he brags profusely on our boy Lindstrom!

Last edited:
Not sure what this kid's 40 is. but he seems to be the fastest dude on either side of the field in high lights.

He just flashed different.
- great use of hands already
- light on his feet.
- Runs like an athletic TE and not a lumbering DL
- plays REALLY hard

They play different positions (sort of) but I like this kid more than Ross from Alabama.
Ross needs way more intensity.
Astute oberservtion if Lindstrom stays healthy has all the tools to be All SEC one day. Great huge get for Vols. In CHRIST Alone

VN Store

Back