'24 MO DL Williams Nwaneri (Mizzou commit)

Lee’s Summit (Mo.) Lee’s Summit North five-star defensive lineman Williams Nwaneri visited Tennessee last weekend. He already has plans to return to Knoxville.

Nwaneri will be taking an official visit to the Volunteers, along with Georgiaand Oklahoma. His schedule may change, but the 6-foot-6, 260-pound defender is planning to see the Bulldogs first (June 3), then the Sooners (June 10) and Tennessee (June 17).

“I feel real good about them, ever since they started recruiting me,” Nwaneri told On3 about the Volunteers. “Ever since my first visit, I already had an idea that it was going to be one of my top schools.”

“I do like the sound of it,” Nwaneri said of Garner’s plan for him. “I feel like I have a real good opportunity there. They see me as a strong side defensive end, rushing off the edge. I like the sound of that.”

Nwaneri enjoyed his conversation with Garner. He called the Volunteers’ assistant “old-school” and appreciates his personality, both on and off the field. Meanwhile, Nwaneri also likes what he has seen from head coach Josh Heupel. Last year, Heupel helped lead Tennessee to an 11-2 record and an Orange Bowl victory.

“He plays a big part in my interest,” said Nwaneri, the No. 2 overall prospect and No. 1 defensive lineman in the 2024 On300. “With the season they had, that caught my eye. I’m getting the vibe that it’ll be somewhere that I can go in and be successful and contribute early for the team.”

“He’s a real genuine guy,” he added about Heupel. “When we talk, it doesn’t always have to be about football. He cares about people on a personal level. When you talk to him, he’s the same person. It’s not like he’s wishy-washy or acting different. He’s just real down-to-earth and I love his energy.”

- Chad Simmons, On3

Ma, it's great to hear top talent just talk about how good and genuine our coaches are.

That’s what I was getting ready to say. We hear it over and over again about Heupel and his staff. Down to earth, laid back. We don’t even talk about football. Heupel is nothing like the other coaches we have had. And it’s a good thing.

I think we're going to win this one

4vjvkx.jpg

VN Store

Back