MLB Investigation on Home Run Increase Points to Role of Prehistoric Mud

sounds like better hitting through chemistry...or alien mud...pitchers everywhere are saying "see, it wasn't me"...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!

A better question is why are so many pitchers now throwing 96 mph + on a regular basis? Wasn’t happening 25 years ago

Reactions: 2 people
A better question is why are so many pitchers now throwing 96 mph + on a regular basis? Wasn’t happening 25 years ago

One would think that some of it is just due to the evolution of the player, they just get bigger, stronger, and faster every year. Perhaps baseball is getting more of the elite level talent that other sports used to get ?! Could be any number of reasons, some natural, some not.

Let me preface this by stating that I’m 27 but consider myself more old school than new school. It’s pretty simple if you ask me. It’s the same way the 3 point shot is looked at in basketball or a 50 yard pass in football. 3 points is better than 2 and a deep pass is better than 3 or 4 short passes. A homer is looked at as better than a walk or single. Players are hitting homers at a higher rate than in the past but they’re also striking out more. It’s an “all or nothing” era we’re living in with sports and teams are willing to sacrifice the high percentage plays for the high reward plays. I don’t buy that players are bigger, faster and stronger than they used to be. There were great all around athletes many years ago that were just as athletic if not more athletic than today’s athletes. I know when I was growing up, I hated striking out because we were all taught to put the ball in play and see if something good happens. Now it seems guys really could care less about striking out. Teams don’t care if you strikeout 3 and 4 times a game as long as you can hit the long ball because if you have a chance at scoring with one swing of the bat then why not go after it? That’s what it boils down to imo

Reactions: 3 people
Baseball

Bigger pitchers

Machanics are geared more to velocity

Bigger pitchers is not a good correlation to velocity. Some guys 6’5” 250 lbs throw 95, while the 6’1” 190 lb guy throws 99. That scenario exists on almost every mlb roster.

Reactions: 1 person
Bigger pitchers is not a good correlation to velocity. Some guys 6’5” 250 lbs throw 95, while the 6’1” 190 lb guy throws 99. That scenario exists on almost every mlb roster.

I would bet a large sum of money the average height of major league pitchers is much taller than 25 years ago.

Sure there are little guys with big arms like Sonny Gray and Kimbrell but most bullpens are full of big physical dudes

isn't the title a title of the article a little misleading.....I'm under the impression all mud (dirt) is prehistoric.

Let me preface this by stating that I’m 27 but consider myself more old school than new school. It’s pretty simple if you ask me. It’s the same way the 3 point shot is looked at in basketball or a 50 yard pass in football. 3 points is better than 2 and a deep pass is better than 3 or 4 short passes. A homer is looked at as better than a walk or single. Players are hitting homers at a higher rate than in the past but they’re also striking out more. It’s an “all or nothing” era we’re living in with sports and teams are willing to sacrifice the high percentage plays for the high reward plays. I don’t buy that players are bigger, faster and stronger than they used to be. There were great all around athletes many years ago that were just as athletic if not more athletic than today’s athletes. I know when I was growing up, I hated striking out because we were all taught to put the ball in play and see if something good happens. Now it seems guys really could care less about striking out. Teams don’t care if you strikeout 3 and 4 times a game as long as you can hit the long ball because if you have a chance at scoring with one swing of the bat then why not go after it? That’s what it boils down to imo

good job bud...but, it worked for Babe Ruth also...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

isn't the title a title of the article a little misleading.....I'm under the impression all mud (dirt) is prehistoric.

definitely arguable, but I guess there's some mud and dirt that's older than others...gotta dig deep I guess...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

VN Store

Back