Mizzou Game: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

She has got to stop chasing opposing bigs outside the paint--stupid. Where's the coaching? The opposing center/big is probably not going to make 20-ft. shots. She can stay back and still call out picks that the opposing big is setting. Her peripheral ball awareness is also bad. She's simply not a defense stopper inside, as she should be.

I believe we had 9 three in this game. That will usually win a game for you and might be an all-time high for us.

I have been belittled a few times for pointing out that the LV's fortunes hinge on whether they can make open shots. But in this game, if those 3s don't drop (and in how many games has Diamond hit back to back 3s?), this board is probably in another "fire Holly" meltdown.

Change nothing else but the 3 point shooting, say from this game (9 for 17) to the GA % (3-14), and the LVs could easily have another loss on their record.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
She has got to stop chasing opposing bigs outside the paint--stupid. Where's the coaching? The opposing center/big is probably not going to make 20-ft. shots.

Cierra Porter would have shot from outside all day if Russell gave her space. She has excellent shooting range for a post player.

Reactions: 4 people
Cierra Porter would have shot from outside all day if Russell gave her space. She has excellent shooting range for a post player.

Also Porter was almost a nonfactor in the 2nd half. I thought TN had no choice, but to play a switching man defense to protect against the 3.

Reactions: 3 people
Diamond always sound that way in her interviews. That's how she talks. lol

Yes she does and I also thinks she tries to make sure she doesn't say anything that will bring more negativity to her and give the people who have negative thoughts about her style of play ammunition to say what they want to say about her

Yes she does and I also thinks she tries to make sure she doesn't say anything that will bring more negativity to her and give the people who have negative thoughts about her style of play ammunition to say what they want to say about her

I think she's just a sweet young lady. It's a shame she has so much negativity surrounding her.

And can anyone PLEASE tell what #3 did that got Jaime upset? The foul was called on the point...but it looked like #3 did something, Jaime got a "look" on her face, and AM and DD ran over to her. They pretty much wrapped her up.

Reactions: 3 people
I think she's just a sweet young lady. It's a shame she has so much negativity surrounding her.

And can anyone PLEASE tell what #3 did that got Jaime upset? The foul was called on the point...but it looked like #3 did something, Jaime got a "look" on her face, and AM and DD ran over to her. They pretty much wrapped her up.

If we are thinking of the same play, #3 swung her arm back and whacked Jamie as she walked by (and the refs reviewed the incident for a flagrant but opted for a no call).

If we are thinking of the same play, #3 swung her arm back and whacked Jamie as she walked by (and the refs reviewed the incident for a flagrant but opted for a no call).

Thanks, madtown. It was towards the end of the game IIRC. 3 had been playing dirty the whole game (typical) and had really been using her elbows on offense. I think our girls had to play tough mentally as well as physically to withstand mizzery's dirty play. Jaime is usually pretty low key as to temper, so that one surprised me.

As to review...I remember one review that was at a different time. But I have to admit, part of the game I practically had my eyes shut...between our slow start and all the cheap shots mizzery does, I can barely stand it:sick:.

The defense left a lot to be desired.... needs to be more ordered and aggressive.... also would like to see coaching staff cover the basics.... such as .... when there are 30 seconds left in half, and you have 30 seconds left on shot clock, most teams aside from us would hold for last shot... Nared shoots and scores with 20 seconds left. Great but then Mizzou DOES hold until last shot, scores and negates our field goal. That is basic stuff Oh well

Rebounding is going to be key with this team. Pat would be all over this team about lack of consistent rebounding.

There was a point, as teams were going down the court, after a score, that a LV tried to step around a Missou player and they both moved the same way and the LV player took her hands and pushed aside the Missou player. I don't think it got any attention at the time, but it might have been part of what might have happened later. Anyone else remember this?

I think the player pinched Jaime when they had a tie up at midcourt at the end of the 4th qtr. Whatever it was Jaime wasn't happy.

I think the player pinched Jaime when they had a tie up at midcourt at the end of the 4th qtr. Whatever it was Jaime wasn't happy.

Time and place are what I remember. It looked like 3 did something that displeased Jaime, and AM and DD knew it happened. (And took immediate action to calm Jaime; that trashy mizzery girl was probably hoping for a reaction and to get Jaime to retaliate.) Sheeeeesh....that mizzery team really makes me appreciate our Ladys and coaches.

Time and place are what I remember. It looked like 3 did something that displeased Jaime, and AM and DD knew it happened. (And took immediate action to calm Jaime; that trashy mizzery girl was probably hoping for a reaction and to get Jaime to retaliate.) Sheeeeesh....that mizzery team really makes me appreciate our Ladys and coaches.

Their coach wasn't a whole lot better.

There was a point, as teams were going down the court, after a score, that a LV tried to step around a Missou player and they both moved the same way and the LV player took her hands and pushed aside the Missou player. I don't think it got any attention at the time, but it might have been part of what might have happened later. Anyone else remember this?

You are correct. The Lady Vol was Meme Jackson,and I actually thought the Missouri player deliberately moved in front of her. They used moving screens many times with no calls made. Kudos to our Lady Vols for not losing their focus.

I don't think Sophie swung her arm at Jaime. She just refused to get out of her way, and there was contact when their shoulders collided. Definitely gamesmanship by Sophie, but it was an appropriate no-call by the refs.

you want them to play no touch ball?

that would be awful.

Nah, gule. I just don't like elbows thrown, players undercut, dirty ball. Rough ball is not pretty...if refs don't call, size beats talent 😉, but there is a difference. Watched mizzery WBB ever since they got in SEC...not changed, just plain old trash. Those girls don't need a safe space for sure!

Nah, gule. I just don't like elbows thrown, players undercut, dirty ball. Rough ball is not pretty...if refs don't call, size beats talent 😉, but there is a difference. Watched mizzery WBB ever since they got in SEC...not changed, just plain old trash. Those girls don't need a safe space for sure!

Remember the Missouri player that got IZZY riled up that year? Another dirty player.

VN Store

Back