Mississippi State has fired Moorhead

If true, then it must be someone from the NFL. If not, then you have to question the decision by the AD. If they are really in the market for a coach and are doing a proper search, they'd better get Bill Clark's agent on the phone. Don't see a lot of good options beyond that, unless crazy man Venables is up to the task.

You either have your guy and put out as many smokescreens as you can until you get ink on paper or your keep your current HC/Interim (whomever that may be). Will be interesting to see how this one shakes out...

Napier said no. Apparently he didnt do the "i have no interest" routine, he was asked and declined. Poor optics for the MSU AD.

Mississippi State is a terrible job. Worst resources in the SEC West and playing Bama, LSU, Auburn and A&M every year. Ole Miss and Arkansas are the only easier games they have in conference. Without ties to the school I can't see any established coach wanting that post.

Reactions: sport3500
I was actually surprised he wasn't let go after the regular season ended, but it seems a bit strange to let him go now. I figured he would get another year if he got past the regular season. I wasn't too impressed by him and he seemed like a bad fit and out of place there, but I have no idea who you turn to for the job now that would want it.

Don't know the buyout details, but Freeze signed a 5-year contract extension with Liberty a few weeks ago. He was getting $1.5 million a year, and supposedly he got a significant raise that put him in the upper echelon of G5 head coaches.

Can't blame State fans who pushed for change. They saw what is possible with Mullen and that's the expectation now.

The one hire that seems possible, but unlikely, that would almost certainly improve MSU is Art Briles.
Was thinking same. But you can't fire Moorehead under the pretense AD stated and turn around and hire Briles. Like it or not Mullen is very good. IMO Vandy and State should hire Jeff Monken from Army and flip to option. Look what KY did with Bowden. These schools will never have close to the Jimmies and Joes to compete without running an a-typical system or lucking into an exceptional coach, like Mullen.

I wasn't impressed with Moorhead at all and understand why Miss St people were frustrated. Mullen left him an absolutely loaded team (by their standards) and they started to go downhill immediately once he took over. Having said that, if they're expecting the new coach to be as good as Mullen there's a high probability they'll be disappointed.

Joe Judge is the rumored front runner. Also interviewing NFL openings too. He’s a Miss St alum.

Joe Judge is the rumored front runner. Also interviewing NFL openings too. He’s a Miss St alum.

Joe Judge has Derek Dooley written all over him except Dooley had actual college coaching experience. Judge was an off the field special teams assistant at Alabama. One of the worst hires I have ever seen, no one actually believes the Giants are seriously considering hiring him over Matt Rhule or Josh McDaniel.

VN Store

Back