Missed out on Mcconkey

This kid was from a GA HS in Chatsworth and was going to UTC and someone is giving our coaches flak? I like where are with our receivers as they are improving.

Every Power 5 school in the country has stories like this. Hometown kids flies under the radar, doesn't get offered by his childhood school, goes to another school, has a good season or a good career, and people say "why didn't you recruit that kid?" Every. Major. Program. It happens all the time.

Was the kid destined to be a star but went overlooked? Was the kid motivated by being dissed by his dream school, and work extra hard to be something more to show people they were wrong? Was it something the kid didn't have when they were recruited, but the coaching staff at their destination school was able to tap into it? Was the kid a better fit for this school or that school's offensive scheme?

You never know with this stuff. It's not a science. And every Power 5 school has these sorts of "if only they'd tried harder to recruit them" stories.
The opportunity to develop so much from high school to college is so huge almost every recruit is possibly a bust or a star in the waiting. As you said…every single team has a story like this. These things just don’t move my emotions meter much at all. Happy for the kid actually.

It looks like he had 800 yards of total offense for his high school career. I'm guessing a lot of schools overlooked him

Can anyone name more than 5 small wrs like him that have been really successful in the sec the last 40 years? I can't so I don't blame anyone for passing on him. Pardon the pun there.

Where are all the 4-5 star 6' 5" 4.3 GA wrs they signed is the bigger question

Craig Faulkner
Travis McGriff
Trindon Holliday
Cedric Wilson
Randall Cobb

Not saying Ladd is in this category but here’s 5 off the top of my head that were successful in the SEC at 5’10 or smaller

In all fairness, his offers were from

Georgia
Vanderbilt
Georgia Southern
Army
Coastal Carolina

Nobody was giving this kid serious consideration. Georgia only did so because they could afford to miss or spend time developing if he didn't pan out right away.

Kirby’s happy meal bag had a bigger prize in it than Coach Cornbread……that dumb booger eating redneck learned that trick somewhere and my guess would be UGA

Cue ZippyMcDawgbreath to come along and piously tell us that uga recruits on pure rainbows, unicorns, and all things uga.

He runs 4.43 and leads the team in receptions.

None of that changes what I said. He had 1 big game. I guess you could say Vandy was a big game with 4/62 and a TD. More of a solid game than a big game.

And he is 2nd on the team in receptions actually. And before last week, he was tied for 3rd with a 11 receptions for 145 yards in 5 games. Those are not exactly amazing numbers.

I'm genuinely happy for the kid. Underdog stories are fun to root for. But let's pump the brakes on calling him a big miss.

Last edited:
Great Kid and hope he continues to do well. Quarterback in high school. Small but he was a winner. Has a lot of heart and will continue to do well if he does not get hurt. Great to see local kids do well no matter where they are.

Craig Faulkner
Travis McGriff
Trindon Holliday
Cedric Wilson
Randall Cobb

Not saying Ladd is in this category but here’s 5 off the top of my head that were successful in the SEC at 5’10 or smaller

Tyrone Prothro (RIP to his leg.)

Could of been avoided, but Mike Shula tried to flex when Tyrone should of been on the bench drinking Gatorade, laughing and watching the backups.

Just watched the replay. They were actually down 21-10 when it happened. Makes my skin crawl seeing the injury again.

Being from Dalton Ladd was a star at N Murray. Unfortunately North Murray is not a typical powerhouse so that likely had a lot to do with his lack of offers. Kids dad was a stud QB for Dalton. Not sure if there was some bad blood going on for him not to attend Dalton or what.

None of that changes what I said. He had 1 big game. I guess you could say Vandy was a big game with 4/62 and a TD. More of a solid game than a big game.

And he is 2nd on the team in receptions actually. And before last week, he was tied for 3rd with a 11 receptions for 145 yards in 5 games. Those are exactly amazing numbers.

I'm genuinely happy for the kid. Underdog stories are fun to root for. But let's pump the brakes on calling him a big miss.
I should have said first among WRs.

Just watched the replay. They were actually down 21-10 when it happened. Makes my skin crawl seeing the injury again.
Bama won that game 31-3, he took the first play 87 yards to the house.

VN Store

Back