Missed out on Mcconkey

Meh. There’s plenty of things to gripe about the previous staff that are more legitimate than this. I’m not going to fault them for thinking a kid who was only getting FCS offers until 2 weeks before NSD might not be SEC material. If we had offered at that point he would’ve known it was only in response to the UGA offer. He would’ve seen right through that and picked UGA anyway

Kirby probably told him to say he would’ve gone to UT to rub Pruitt’s nose in it. They HATED each other with a passion

Every Power 5 school in the country has stories like this. Hometown kids flies under the radar, doesn't get offered by his childhood school, goes to another school, has a good season or a good career, and people say "why didn't you recruit that kid?" Every. Major. Program. It happens all the time.

Was the kid destined to be a star but went overlooked? Was the kid motivated by being dissed by his dream school, and work extra hard to be something more to show people they were wrong? Was it something the kid didn't have when they were recruited, but the coaching staff at their destination school was able to tap into it? Was the kid a better fit for this school or that school's offensive scheme?

You never know with this stuff. It's not a science. And every Power 5 school has these sorts of "if only they'd tried harder to recruit them" stories.

Meh. There’s plenty of things to gripe about the previous staff that are more legitimate than this. I’m not going to fault them for thinking a kid who was only getting FCS offers until 2 weeks before NSD might not be SEC material. If we had offered at that point he would’ve known it was only in response to the UGA offer. He would’ve seen right through that and picked UGA anyway

Kirby probably told him to say he would’ve gone to UT to rub Pruitt’s nose in it. They HATED each other with a passion

Yeah well, BOTH are easy to hate. But Pruitt more so. Stone Cold Idiot who thinks he is a genius. And somebody told Phil he was too.

Kirby staged the Vol stuff in the family home also? Good stuff! 🤔

Sometimes the motivation to be great comes from rejection. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, McConkey is only playing due to a crazy injury situation at WR for them, and if they have the option they will just hand the ball to their backs and never put the ball in the air anyway.

And Georgia didn't expect Turnage to be anything more than a depth piece on the roster, and that was prior to Georgia adding former All-ACC corner Kendrick. so he came here. I think we got the better side of that deal.

Former Alabama CB Brandon Turnage Quits Georgia Football - Sports Illustrated Georgia Bulldogs News, Analysis and More
Not just that but UGA opted for a kid named Jasper Sanks, who was a bust, and let Jamal Lewis go to UT and win a national championship and eventually set the rushing record in the NFL. It happens all of the time.

And Georgia didn't expect Turnage to be anything more than a depth piece on the roster, and that was prior to Georgia adding former All-ACC corner Kendrick. so he came here. I think we got the better side of that deal.

Former Alabama CB Brandon Turnage Quits Georgia Football - Sports Illustrated Georgia Bulldogs News, Analysis and More
I don't think Turnage expected to be any more than a depth piece there, he didn't get on the field here right away either. Regardless, I'm glad he came here.

This is what is sad and why Tennessee isn’t back yet. We can’t let players who are Vols fan slip thru our fingers like this. This kid is special and making a statement. Read # 4.

Georgia football: The crazy story on where Ladd McConkey was headed before his UGA offer

In everyone's defense 5'11' 158 -- it is difficult if not impossible to guesstimate how that is going to translate in the SEC. I watched him play one of the Georgia games and I certainly have to take my hat off to him.
I might add he is caucasian - so a frail, white, receiver starting for the number 1 team in the country. Bravo - Ladd Bravo, but his making it where he is - that is so like winning the lottery. You have got to have everything fall perfectly, he has to run great routes, come out of his breaks and catch the ball, none of that is easy and fingers crossed - that he never gets hit square one day - there will be nothing left of him. My senior year in high school I wasn't as polished or as good: I was equally fast, and I am shocked that I was actually a little bigger than he is, but I opted to play baseball because it seemed a smarter career path. Two Vol players come to mind. One the tiny dback that was a two star or three star signing here from the Carolina's that bulked up a little here and ended up playing in the NFL - and the little wide receiver from Alabama that Peyton used to complete half of his passes to.

Congratulations again to Ladd and congratulations to he and his family for originally being Vol fans. Hope he continues to ball out against every team but one.

Reactions: walkenvol
Can anyone name more than 5 small wrs like him that have been really successful in the sec the last 40 years? I can't so I don't blame anyone for passing on him. Pardon the pun there.

Where are all the 4-5 star 6' 5" 4.3 GA wrs they signed is the bigger question

Kirby’s happy meal bag had a bigger prize in it than Coach Cornbread……that dumb booger eating redneck learned that trick somewhere and my guess would be UGA

Good for McConkey. He is impressive. You sure can't sign them all. Cornbread signed the mighty Tee Hodge from Maryville and some puny running back from south Knoxville - can't remember his name - not even sure if that was Pruitt or Jones. Some of the local kids that never should have been recruited for D-1 scholarships and end up as busts at UT hurt it for others like McConkey who have the ability and stones to play big boy football. Pruitt recruited Evans and Hooker so those decisions were outstanding.

Reactions: DickeyD
This is what is sad and why Tennessee isn’t back yet. We can’t let players who are Vols fan slip thru our fingers like this. This kid is special and making a statement. Read # 4.

Georgia football: The crazy story on where Ladd McConkey was headed before his UGA offer
That was last staff. I do truly believe that the coaches we have now would have noticed his potential and offer him a scholarship. That is the good thing about our staff they are used to coaching up young men and finding the players that are good but may not have many stars and saying that some fans will have to realize that means on paper we won't have the best recruiting numbers but the more we keep winning there will be 4 and 5 stars that they can get.

Reactions: knox73

VN Store

Back