Minor league changes, affecting college baseball??

maxxx

I think the mlb restructuring will 100% effect college baseball. College baseball has gotten better since i played in the 90's, and have been getting increased exposure over the last few years. Colleges should start to see an influx of players as teams will start to draft fewer high schoolers since there farm systems will be smaller. The college game will start to higher caliber players as the draft will only be 6-10 rounds over the next few years. Hopefully Tennessee can get some elite talent in t hr next few years and expand the baseball program. I think the days of baseball programs being money makers are coming quickly. Hopefully phil will invest in the program heavily.

I think the mlb restructuring will 100% effect college baseball. College baseball has gotten better since i played in the 90's, and have been getting increased exposure over the last few years. Colleges should start to see an influx of players as teams will start to draft fewer high schoolers since there farm systems will be smaller. The college game will start to higher caliber players as the draft will only be 6-10 rounds over the next few years. Hopefully Tennessee can get some elite talent in t hr next few years and expand the baseball program. I think the days of baseball programs being money makers are coming quickly. Hopefully phil will invest in the program heavily.

I don't see many people monitoring this. Small town pro baseball is being systematically wiped out.

College will only be improved from a so called strike in the MLB. Yes. I think there will be a lower round draft going forward 15 or so rounds then more to college. Overall, less ppl playing baseball IMO.

As did most boys my age, I had big dreams and aspirations of playing pro ball. My coach always said we needed to eat and sleep, baseball. I took that to heart. That love of baseball was developed by watching Saturday afternoon baseball game of the week, with Joe Garragiola, and then Saturday evenings watching the Nashville Sounds in the old Greer Stadium. Now I know most kids now dont have that same level of love for the game, heck even I dont watch as much as I use to, but the whole idea of eliminating minor league teams is ridiculous. I grew up watching Don Mattingly in Nashville, before he made it New York. We all know you cant get kids interested in a game if they cant have the opportunity to see there sports hero's in person. This could kill the game for most kids in rural areas.
But, I do see where this could really make college baseball alot better, not that it ain't good, but I can see the level of ball players being higher, for a time. Just some thoughts, while sitting on the patio drinking coffee and enjoying a beautiful Saturday our Lord has made!

I don’t think you see SEC change much from this. It’s already playing at such a high level I don’t think it gets a bump. I do think midmajor baseball gets much better as long as the NCAA doesn’t increase roster limits

Reactions: ArdentVol
You’re spot on the college game will only get stronger. Fact of the matter MLB Baseball has been cutting corners for a long time with funding in minor league baseball as it pertains to coaches. They aren’t compensated very well. Players are getting developed in College much better. The statistics are proving. To your point yes the College will greatly benefit. Good news is the recruiting classes through 2023 for the Vols are all ranked in the top 10.

Except for the Pulaski Yankees, I’m afraid the rest of the Appy League is marking time. The contraction plan is also known as the ‘Houston plan,’ since the Astros hatched it (another reason fans might not like the Astros). Appy League teams are owned by their parent club, so it’s easier to close them down. Larger market teams are on the list, such as the AA Jackson Generals (for a period of time, the Chattanooga Lookouts were on the list, but they are apparently off of it now). It’s a sad, complicated issue that this baseball fan doesn’t like.

Except for the Pulaski Yankees, I’m afraid the rest of the Appy League is marking time. The contraction plan is also known as the ‘Houston plan,’ since the Astros hatched it (another reason fans might not like the Astros). Appy League teams are owned by their parent club, so it’s easier to close them down. Larger market teams are on the list, such as the AA Jackson Generals (for a period of time, the Chattanooga Lookouts were on the list, but they are apparently off of it now). It’s a sad, complicated issue that this baseball fan doesn’t like.

It's sad. I grew up in Johnson County watching Appy League games. It's the only pro ball we could afford to attend. I still hit an Elizabethton Twins game if I'm visiting in the summer. Sad to think it won't be there for future generations.

My first job was working for the Knoxville Blue Jays in their promotion department during the summer of 1982.

I am a long time Southern League fan and can remember franchises in Zebulon, North Carolina, Savannah, Georgia and Orlando, Florida and Nashville.

I don't know if there will be a team to replace Jackson if they are eliminated.

I don’t think you see SEC change much from this. It’s already playing at such a high level I don’t think it gets a bump. I do think midmajor baseball gets much better as long as the NCAA doesn’t increase roster limits
Yeah I'm not that familiar w the situations which lead HS players to opt for the pros instead of college, but I'd think that elite players who go pro out of HS will still do so.

Yeah I'm not that familiar w the situations which lead HS players to opt for the pros instead of college, but I'd think that elite players who go pro out of HS will still do so.

Yep the SEC was already holding on to guys that weren’t getting top $ for the most part. This doesn’t change that imo

When it's gone I'm going to miss the Appy league a lot. My first job was working with the K Mets some really fun memories from those summers

Reactions: @1RBFjr

VN Store

Back