Milton will be HUGE for UT in 2023

I think it’s exacerbated by the fact that this offense utilizes the deep ball so often because Heupel is great at scheming wide open deep shots.

If Heupel stands pat on QBs in the portal, that tells me he thinks one of his QBs (likely Milton) can be the man next year. And it likely means that he thinks they’ll fix Milton’s issues. Honestly, from what I’ve seen, I think it’s a calmness (or lack of) thing. He’s shown he can make every throw. He’s looked great this year when he comes into blowouts and just relaxed and plays ball. He shows touch and accuracy in those moments. He’s reportedly great in practice. But when he starts, he seems jacked up and throws the ball 100 mph with no arc. I don’t know how you fix that, but Heupel is a QB guru and if he thinks he can, I trust him.
Again, if we were talking TJ, I'd be in agreement. What's this staff been doing with Milton for the last 2 years? What could we possibly expect from them that they've not already tried with Milton? What makes our staff capable of pushing the magic button that the 2 previous staffs he played for couldn't? 5 years and it still hasn't happened. Where do you see things changing at this point?

Again, if we were talking TJ, I'd be in agreement. What's this staff been doing with Milton for the last 2 years? What could we possibly expect from them that they've not already tried with Milton? What makes our staff capable of pushing the magic button that the 2 previous staffs he played for couldn't? 5 years and it still hasn't happened. Where do you see things changing at this point?

It's a different argument every year. When he first got here the argument was "Michigan's offense sucks" .....but JJ Mcarthy is doing prettyyyyy well

No. We’re not. 🙄
It kinda feels that way. Everyone expected "one more off season", "one more spring", "one more year of experience and he's going to explode onto the scene and be great". Never happened and we sat thru 4 years of wishing and hoping. Not saying Milton is JG, but when do you accept that a player is who he is especially after 5 years?

Why are you asking me?

It’s funny how people want so badly to take a black and white position on a matter about which they have a fraction of the knowledge our head coach has. My position has consistently been, I don’t know what will happen. Milton may come around, he may not. And if Heupel stands pat wrt portal QBs, that likely means he thinks Milton will come around…so you’d have to ask him why he thinks that.

I’ve seen plenty of players written off as flops who came around late and others who keep getting chances (JG) who never come around. Truth is, you and I don’t know how much Milton will advance his game by next year, if at all. I’m merely taking the position that it’s wrong to assume either way.

It kinda feels that way. Everyone expected "one more off season", "one more spring", "one more year of experience and he's going to explode onto the scene and be great". Never happened and we sat thru 4 years of wishing and hoping. Not saying Milton is JG, but when do you accept that a player is who he is especially after 5 years?

Your position is that he is what he is. Got it. You don’t have to keep repeating it. Arguing it over and over doesn’t prove it. We’ll see next year (which again, is the extent of my position on the matter).

Maybe Milton needs to take an extra count before throwing the deep ball. Most of the overthrows were about 5 yards in front of the receiver, so add a count and the ball should be perfectly thrown. I really would like to see him come on and lead Tennessee the way Hooker has the last year +.

Someone prob said we “should”. Like someone has said we should look at every single dude in the portal and even some who aren’t in the portal. Actually, especially ones who aren’t.

But if someone who actually knows or matters said it, I missed it. Everything I read was doubting we look at a QB.
Here's my biggest issue. Vandy beat Florida with AR at QB. They beat Kentucky with Levis at QB. All we heard leading up to our game was fire Banks, fire Martinez, our defense sucks, and Vandy will be a tough game without Hendon and our crappy defense. Then the TEAM rallied behind Milton, and we won 56-0. Everyone elevated their game. Now all I keep hearing is that the TEAM can't win with Joe Milton at QB. If the coaches and the TEAM believe in Joe, and they see him every single day.....Who are we to say that the TEAM can't get it done with Milton?

Last edited:
Here's my biggest issue. Vandy beat Florida with AR at QB. They beat Kentucky with Levis at QB. All we heard leading up to our game was fire Banks, for Martinez, our defense sucks, and Vandy will be a tough game without Hendon and our crappy defense. Then the TEAM rallied behind Milton, and we won 56-0. Everyone elevated their game. Now all I keep hearing is that the TEAM can't win with Joe Milton at QB. If the coaches and the TEAM believe in Joe, and they see him every single day.....Who are we to say that the TEAM can't get it done with Milton?
See what you don’t get is :
Before the SC game all you heard was Vols
By fiddy.
We got embarrassed.
Before Vandy it was I hope we can pull out a win somehow.
We won 56-0.
Reverse physiology

You, chattavol & others can think that; nevermind to me. I support Milton & all the Vols & trust the coaches. Not a reach IMO. vandie needs fans. Sign up today.
Did you even read my post? If you did, you would see that I do support Milton and hope he is wildly successful. I just haven't seen that he can make the throws that will make Heupel's offense hum. I also support Jackson. If he's the best man for the job, then I want him to win it. By your logic, you don't support Jackson so you need to be a Vandy fan. Did you "support" Milton at the start of '21 and not support Hooker when he took over? I don't see any real difference in our situation going into '23.

More short and medium ranges passes will help too. Ppl take the overthrowing thing too far. Those passes by nature have low completion rates. Give Milton more short and medium passes and it works. He's not like JG who would bullet a ball to receivers and nearly break their fingers. Joe has a solid rocket cannon of an arm- but coaches need to set him up for success with more medium throws.
Completely agree. Give him shorter routes. Just because he can throw it 60+ yards doesn’t mean he has to. Also, give him angles on those deep throws rather than straight throws. Make the deep routes posts or corners more than seams and go routes. It’s worth a shot. I like JM’s decision making for the most part and I actually think he’s pretty accurate on throws under 20 yards but that’s off perception. I haven’t looked at his stats on those kinds of throws.

He has a canon for an arm and can certainly throw the deep ball accurately when given time. Problem with Milton is that he cannot maintain his accuracy under pressure. So he will be a liability against teams that can pressure him
NFL arm for NCAA receivers=not a recipe for success.

Milton is like a baseball pitcher who can throw at 100 per, but can't get it in the zone to save his life.
JM has an NFL arm trying to hit an NCAA receiver's "catch box". In 2023, if he struggles to put touch on balls to select receiver routes and has consistent overthrows, enter Nico sooner than expected.

Milton is a bust until he’s not. Hopefully he gets his 2 losses out of the way early so Heupel pulls the plug.

RaRa?
The cheer team has been rooting for him for decades.

Kneeland to Neyland is a foregone conclusion.
JMO, but I think the bowl will be JMIII's workout video for Heupel to re-examine Joe's growth going into next yr. My own worthless estimation is that Milton has a 50/50 chance at best of being our starting QB vs Virginia. Jackson will be healthy by Spring, Nico is going to be in KTown very soon (if not already there), and then there is the Portal.....where we got H².
Joe is Not going to be an NFL QB....he is not consistently accurate enough. I wish he would volunteer to become a TE, where he could excell and get to the League.
Again you do not know how Milton will develop under Heupel. You’re just guessing. Now under your tutelage we a certain as a group he would not make an NFL Qb.

Since last year, Milton has more completions in fewer attempts. His completion % has gone up from 51 % to 63%. He has doubled his Yards in fewer attempts. He's doubled his average and more than tripled his TDs. Now, no one is saying he's a guaranteed world beater. But anyone not allowing for improvement next year, and dying on the "same old Milton" hill are just ignorant or willfully dishonest.
This... The guy threw for 700+ yrds and 7 TD with no turnovers in multiple appearances. Granted, lower level of competition. Alot of people are on downgrading him based on Vandy game. It was absolute terrible weather for passing game, no Bru or Cedric, and vandy was not stopping the run at all (why fix something thats not broke). ...... Now, I am not saying he will be the next great QB here, or he will even start next season, but to say he hasnt made MARKED improvements across the board, is just delusional and seeing what they want to see.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
This... The guy threw for 700+ yrds and 7 TD with no turnovers in multiple appearances. Granted, lower level of competition. Alot of people are on downgrading him based on Vandy game. It was absolute terrible weather for passing game, no Bru or Cedric, and vandy was not stopping the run at all (why fix something thats not broke). ...... Now, I am not saying he will be the next great QB here, or he will even start next season, but to say he hasnt made MARKED improvements across the board, is just delusional and seeing what they want to see.
i thought he looked great in coming in during garbage time this year and really hoped he had turned the corner. it is concerning that as soon as he gets a start, he looks just like he did last year. i have a hard time blaming it on the weather because he obviously didn't have any issue handling the bar (based off of the rockets he was throwing) and i don't remember anybody dropping balls. i really want the guy to put it together but the vandy game is a little bit of a red flag. what will your opinion be if he comes out and completes 50-55% of his passes against clemson? that will be very concerning to me heading into the offseason. i think he has to complete 60%+ for us to win that game

Since last year, Milton has more completions in fewer attempts. His completion % has gone up from 51 % to 63%. He has doubled his Yards in fewer attempts. He's doubled his average and more than tripled his TDs. Now, no one is saying he's a guaranteed world beater. But anyone not allowing for improvement next year, and dying on the "same old Milton" hill are just ignorant or willfully dishonest.

Since you have said anyone 'dying on the "same old Milton" hill are just ignorant or willfully dishonest', let me ask you : Did you watch the Vanderbilt game or end of USC game ? Milton still has accuracy issues, still does not have touch on the ball. In USC game he missed receivers on 10 yard passes by a lot. You can try to blame 'wet ball' for Vandy but how do you overthrow 15 yards ? He is a hit and miss. Makes some amazing throws but can't ,ake short 10-15 yard balls due to high velocity and misses a lot of deep ones. Seems like you are the one being ' just ignorant or willfully dishonest' here.

Since you have said anyone 'dying on the "same old Milton" hill are just ignorant or willfully dishonest', let me ask you : Did you watch the Vanderbilt game or end of USC game ? Milton still has accuracy issues, still does not have touch on the ball. In USC game he missed receivers on 10 yard passes by a lot. You can try to blame 'wet ball' for Vandy but how do you overthrow 15 yards ? He is a hit and miss. Makes some amazing throws but can't ,ake short 10-15 yard balls due to high velocity and misses a lot of deep ones. Seems like you are the one being ' just ignorant or willfully dishonest' here.
You obviously didn't read my post. I acknowledged that he may not be great, but pointed out the improvements. You pointed out the improvements but refuse to give him credit. If I had said "Milton has been perfect and no one is willing to admit it", you may have a point, but that's not what I said, is it?

Are you making my points?

Makes some amazing throws but can't ,ake short 10-15 yard balls due to high velocity and misses a lot of deep ones.

For one example, see 21:42. A beautiful 10 yarder for a great pickup. Of note, it was followed by an overthrow dnd a perfect pass from the 7 into the endzone.

24:16 was a perfectly thrown ball over the middle (~20ish yards) that went for a TD.

Get your BVDs twisted all you want. It is what it is.

After watching (and posting) his 2022 highlights, his long and intermediate balls had touch and timing.

Now, my point has been that we have a segment here that completely ignores/denies that so that they can make the case based on Vandy that he's the same old Milton and incapable of improvement (when he's SHOWN improvement all year).

Do you know who else had some REALLY UGLY games where they looked terrible? Hendon Hooker.

and misses a lot of deep ones

Do you know who else misses a lot of deep throws? Pretty much every QB.

So, to clearly state my points:

Milton still has a lot to prove in the long run, but has shown improvement this year. Anyone not willing to admit that is either ignorant or lying.

Deal with it. It's true.

Reactions: JarFly
Here's my biggest issue. Vandy beat Florida with AR at QB. They beat Kentucky with Levis at QB. All we heard leading up to our game was fire Banks, fire Martinez, our defense sucks, and Vandy will be a tough game without Hendon and our crappy defense. Then the TEAM rallied behind Milton, and we won 56-0. Everyone elevated their game. Now all I keep hearing is that the TEAM can't win with Joe Milton at QB. If the coaches and the TEAM believe in Joe, and they see him every single day.....Who are we to say that the TEAM can't get it done with Milton?
Milton's problem is passing accuracy and that's still there.

Here's a sample of Vandy scoring. Navy Shuler could have handed the ball off and got the same result against Vandy.

• Dee Williams 73 Yd Punt Return
  • Jabari Small 52 Yd Run
  • Jaylen Wright 50 Yd Run
  • Jaylen Wright 83 Yd Run
  • Dylan Sampson 80 Yd Run

Agree that everyone elevated their game, and they broke Vandy's back early and often. But Vandy realized they weren't going to a bowl after the first quarter and pretty much threw in the towel. Vandy game shouldn't be a barometer of what is to come.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Milton's problem is passing accuracy and that's still there.

Here's a sample of Vandy scoring. Navy Shuler could have handed the ball off and got the same result against Vandy.

• Dee Williams 73 Yd Punt Return
  • Jabari Small 52 Yd Run
  • Jaylen Wright 50 Yd Run
  • Jaylen Wright 83 Yd Run
  • Dylan Sampson 80 Yd Run

Agree that everyone elevated their game, and they broke Vandy's back early and often. But Vandy realized they weren't going to a bowl after the first quarter and pretty much threw in the towel. Vandy game shouldn't be a barometer of what is to come.
You can't just use the Vandy game to support your argument and ignore every other game he appeared in this season. You also said that you can't use Vandy as a barometer for anyone else but Milton. If he indeed still has accuracy issues, then it would show up in the majority of his appearances this year. It did not. In fact, he has appeared to be equal to, or more accurate than Hendon Hooker in short, intermediate, and routes over the middle. The ONLY game this season, with any deep ball issues at all was the Vandy game. A game in the rain, which should be considered the exception and not the rule, unless it fits a particular narrative. Navy Shuler would not have garnered the same results, because he is not a threat to go deep every play. Milton's long bask miscues actually loosened up the coverage allowing for the success in the run game.

Reactions: Orange.

VN Store

Back