Milton will be HUGE for UT in 2023

I would line him up as a TE/RB to have a possible throw here and there. This dude just does not have the consistency that we need at QB. I would rather go to the portal and get a guy

Reactions: midtnvol2
Well, duh. I would bet 99.99999% of posters on this board were inferior QB’s to Joe Milton. I would take him over JG, McBride, Shrout, Dormady, Worley, Peterman, Crompton, Stephens, Rick Clausen and the rest of the mediocre QBs we’ve had the last 17 years any day of the week. But we fans also have eyes. He hasn’t shown he can make the throws necessary to win big games. Period. You can hit a couple big throws and complete 50% of your passes to beat Vandy, but in the bowl game and beyond, that isn’t going to cut it.
I feel ya on that. I don’t mean to harp on the comparison even though Milton has a cannon compared to him, but if they could use him like Tebow with a 2 back set and Milton as a possible run option I think we could have just a good a season. Tebow threw ducks in the air and won national championships.

We’ll know a lot about Heupel’s opinion if he goes and gets a veteran QB in the portal.

That it's a position that needs depth and a reliable backup in case your starter goes down? Like...oh say this past game and the Bowl game?

What an ridiculous comment based on your desire to justify an opinion and not fact. We could have Peyton coming back and I'd still want to get a veteran out of the portal as the back-ups are going to be a true freshman with zero throws and a raw Sophomore with 4 total attempts (against Akron, Ball State, and UT Martin) coming off of injury.

Well, duh. I would bet 99.99999% of posters on this board were inferior QB’s to Joe Milton. I would take him over JG, McBride, Shrout, Dormady, Worley, Peterman, Crompton, Stephens, Rick Clausen and the rest of the mediocre QBs we’ve had the last 17 years any day of the week. But we fans also have eyes. He hasn’t shown he can make the throws necessary to win big games. Period. You can hit a couple big throws and complete 50% of your passes to beat Vandy, but in the bowl game and beyond, that isn’t going to cut it.

Peterman is still collecting an NFL paycheck today, six years after he left college. He threw for over 2K yards in two consecutive seasons at Pitt, and for nearly 3K his Senior year along w/27 TDs.

Yeah, no, I don't see Milton being "it" in 2023. People holding on to the same hope they had for G. He's not a highschool kid, he's a senior. We've witnessed his ceiling.

I don't understand this line of thinking. It's like we didn't just witness Hooker transform from a below average ACC QB to a Heisman contender as a 23 yr old with three seasons under his belt.

Reactions: WilcoVolsFan
I don't get this idea that Heupel can turn Milton into another Hooker. There's an old saying in sports: You can't put in what God left out. No doubt Milton is a phenomenal athlete, but I've seen nothing that convinces me that he has the tools a Hooker, a Manning, or a Burrow has.

Reactions: LAVol1
Ranked 7 and with a 10-2 record, Tennessee is going to end up with a big time opponent in the bowl game. I'm afraid a lot of supporters are going to come away with their eyes opened about the difference between Hooker and Milton.

Reactions: LAVol1
Ranked 7 and with a 10-2 record, Tennessee is going to end up with a big time opponent in the bowl game. I'm afraid a lot of supporters are going to come away with their eyes opened about the difference between Hooker and Milton.
We will know either way.

in fairness to big joe,he seems to have his timing down better w/ white & walker.i'm guessing thats who he throws most too in practice.he will have to complete better than 50 percent to keep the starting job.right now he rates out similar to dj at clemson but could see him w/ improvement rating out to jalen hurts when at oklahoma.guess thats why coach gets paid the big bucks,go w/ the veteran or move on w/ a youngster.

Firw4TTWIAEOL0n

Without Hooker, I see Tennessee getting matched against another 10-2 level team with their Q.B. and getting blown away. I hope I'm wrong.
If it’s Clemson and DJ, he’s no better than what we have. I’ll be surprised if they don’t start the freshman.

That it's a position that needs depth and a reliable backup in case your starter goes down? Like...oh say this past game and the Bowl game?

What an ridiculous comment based on your desire to justify an opinion and not fact. We could have Peyton coming back and I'd still want to get a veteran out of the portal as the back-ups are going to be a true freshman with zero throws and a raw Sophomore with 4 total attempts (against Akron, Ball State, and UT Martin) coming off of injury.
Calm down junior. I’m talking about Heupel looking for a starter in the portal. If Milton ain’t ready and Josh goes to the portal, I’m pretty sure he won’t be looking for a backup. He’s got Jackson for that and Nico till he gets ready. Again, I’ll trust Josh to make that decision.

Calm down junior. I’m talking about Heupel looking for a starter in the portal. If Milton ain’t ready and Josh goes to the portal, I’m pretty sure he won’t be looking for a backup. He’s got Jackson for that and Nico till he gets ready. Again, I’ll trust Josh to make that decision.

As opposed to what, looking for someone in the portal not capable of starting as a backup option????

Dig faster, Delmar! That's the way to get out of your hole....by doubling down on the brilliant insights!

It's Joe's job to lose right now, but all things are possible. His really deep ball is as good as anyone, which doesn't have a lot of competition since no one can really do 60-70 easily in the air (relying on it would be a mistake). He's pretty good on short and deep crossing routes. Come back and bubble screen since passes will get there quicker than any average QB. He's above average on anything that needs arm strength. And they should maximize that. Anything requiring touch....yeah, no. Not his thing. But I'll take Joe, physically gifted, two years in the system....good runner...not much dropoff. Lord knows CBJ's system was a rollercoaster with, and then without Dobbs. With Milton I don't see a wide swing...maybe a drop off in production. Hendon had a magical year and he deserves the accolades for creating it....just think it's unreasonable to expect Joe to match it. Staff may have to adjust to him, which is okay.

As an aside....I will not tolerate bonehead moves like going OB like he did against ole miss. Or equal. So far I've not seen it.....doesn't mean it's not lurking deep in there somewhere. I'd bench a QB in a heartbeat for that. And I'd be suspicious going forward.

He HAS to learn how to run and when to run. That was always the unspoken sauce that made HH extra dangerous and kept the LBs honest

You think just maybe with the depleted room he was specifically told to limit runs with only walkons available for service if he went down. He extended some plays running to the sideline and putting a couple of balls where only his guy could reach them, except once where a defender actually touched it with no chance to catch it.

You think just maybe with the depleted room he was specifically told to limit runs with only walkons available for service if he went down. He extended some plays running to the sideline and putting a couple of balls where only his guy could reach them, except once where a defender actually touched it with no chance to catch it.
Hadn’t considered that

I think Milton will be fine for us next season.....The staff will design more deep inside crossing routes and less deep balls, that is until Joe can prove he can hit the deep crossing routes with great regularity.....

Also guys, we are going o have a hell of a group of running backs....Sampson will see more duty and Wright is looking good/great....Don't forget about the new commitment big back...

It's the system not the Quarterback not knocking Hooker but using the Vandy game as an example the offensive scheme put up 56 against Vandy in terrible conditions with Milton. Everywhere Heupel has been the offense is always near the top in production i trust he will get the right scheme for Milton or whoever.Some people seem to think Hooker was the reason and he did perform well. What needs to be addressed is the defense going forward.

VN Store

Back