Milton Starter Limit Deep Passes

I will get roasted, go ahead. I'm just as aggravated as the next person for the missed wide open touchdown misses.

Miltons stats before injury were actual pretty good, minus the wild overthrows that were extremely critically costly.....

He was 7/12 for 50 yards and rushed for 54 yards. Milton was the games leading rusher (even after being out early with injury) and he being the leading rusher is inexcusable for the rest of the offense.

If he can settle down and the coaches can gameplan around limiting the deep throws until timing gets better with he and receivers, I think he can be highly effective and good. The rest of his throws were accurate and some were surprisingly very good.

Had he not been injured and played the rest of the game, who knows, he may have connected on a couple that may have resulted in scores. But, moving forward the strategy may need to be to work the ball down the field in smaller chucks and be more patient for the deep shot.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.[/Q
I will get roasted, go ahead. I'm just as aggravated as the next person for the missed wide open touchdown misses.

Miltons stats before injury were actual pretty good, minus the wild overthrows that were extremely critically costly.....

He was 7/12 for 50 yards and rushed for 54 yards. Milton was the games leading rusher (even after being out early with injury) and he being the leading rusher is inexcusable for the rest of the offense.

If he can settle down and the coaches can gameplan around limiting the deep throws until timing gets better with he and receivers, I think he can be highly effective and good. The rest of his throws were accurate and some were surprisingly very good.

Had he not been injured and played the rest of the game, who knows, he may have connected on a couple that may have resulted in scores. But, moving forward the strategy may need to be to work the ball down the field in smaller chucks and be more patient for the deep shot.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.
He was the leading rusher because we got lucky with our play call that went right into their blitz. If that was a inside gap blitz it was a loss of yards.

Taking away the deep ball isnt the issue. We have guys getting wide open and have been yurning for a big play since Dobbs! We now have receivers that can run and get open but he has airmailed 6+ give me TD's in two games.

If the coaches learned anything from the loss to PITT, I hope they realize it is time to move on from Milton. I can almost guarantee you Hooker would have thrown for over 300 yards and 4 or 5 TDs if he played the entire game.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.
The run game didn’t exist because of the qb play. Without the threat of a deep ball, they can play closer to line of scrimmage. I keep seeing people post you have to be a runner to play qb in this offense and that is incorrect. The most important part of this scheme is to be able to hit the deep throw to spread the defense out. If the defense has to cover the field it puts less defenders to stop the run and allows you to hit the shorter passes.

We just need Milton to take an extra step back and count off two more seconds before launching his throws so that the WRs can catch up to the ball.

He's in his 4th year of college football. The experiment was over for him at the DI level when he lost the starting role at Michigan.

Heupel couldn't fix Milton's long-running accuracy issues this summer, and he's not going to fix them during the season, and prepare him for the game each week.
Heupel obviously believes he can.

Milton will never be the quarterback the coaches want him to be.....Perhaps his adrenaline gets him over hyped and he throws 5-10 yards, or further, than it should be...No top rate program would live and die with this guy...It's coaching suicide...

Hooker is at least serviceable, because of his running abilities...His passing is also suspect and ball security is a problem as well....

The elephant in the room is Bailey, the unwanted QB....The kid can throw with accuracy, but won't awe you with an occasional run...

This is not new to Milton .. go and research his completion pct of passes over 40 yards at Michigan ... I heard a stat but not going to repeat it .. unless I or someone else can find it . He may be a guy who looks like a million dollars in paractice and terrible in games .. give me the gamer who plays at his best in a game regardless of practice ... Heupel job is to find that out quickly ..

So your saying to throw off the other team, let’s run receivers wide open deep and throw short! WTF?

He's in his 4th year of college football. The experiment was over for him at the DI level when he lost the starting role at Michigan.

Heupel couldn't fix Milton's long-running accuracy issues this summer, and he's not going to fix them during the season, and prepare him for the game each week.

Amen and amen.

If Heupel rolls with Milton, then he is really no better than the growing list of previous failed UT football coaches.

Milton's upside is through the roof. I can understand why CJH will be patient with him. If he can learn to take a little off his throws there is no limit to what this team could do. But that patience can't last forever. Next week doesn't matter, but after that, there better be some improvement, otherwise the experiment is over.

Same has been said for the last 4 years with guy. It is NOT fixable.

To be fair, he made the right throws, on time, but other than the drop, he overthrew them. If he can correct the overthrows, we win. I dont know how hard that is to correct, but he has potential. It felt like we were hail Mary every play with receivers open, but overthrown. Didn't see those same decisions or plays with Hooker.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Every overthrown ball against Bama will be a pick. They seem always have a guy in position to catch those.

See that's where I have to disagree. I don't think there is an upside to the QB room as a whole, to bring in a transfer QB with glaring issues stretching all the way back to high school, and then spend time and effort trying to fix a problem in a single fall camp that many other coaches have tried over longer periods of time and failed to accomplish.

Ultimately it cost us a QB in Maurer transferring, and directly resulted in the loss of a winnable game. Not to mention the time and effort that could have been used to further develop the rest of the QB room.
I talk alot of BS here mostly but i truly do agree with what you said.
I think I feel a bit cheated after watching Milton and realizing that time and effort spent on him could have been spent on Hooker or HB. And both of them look like they CAN be coached into serviceable QBs.
I already think Heupel just isn't smart. That was just a terrible decision in every way possible and it literally cost us a game. Whats worse yet is Heupel might start him again.

See that's where I have to disagree. I don't think there is an upside to the QB room as a whole, to bring in a transfer QB with glaring issues stretching all the way back to high school, and then spend time and effort trying to fix a problem in a single fall camp that many other coaches have tried over longer periods of time and failed to accomplish.

Ultimately it cost us a QB in Maurer transferring, and directly resulted in the loss of a winnable game. Not to mention the time and effort that could have been used to further develop the rest of the QB room.
See this is where you are wrong again Maurer didn't quit and he didn't leave because of what you think he did just like your hole argument about Milton 4 years Michigan blah blah. MILTON WAS NEVER GOING TO TAKE OVER TILL 2020. HE HAS STARTED 5 GAMES AT MICHIGAN AND 2 HERE 7 SEVEN GAMES IN 4 YEARS.

This is the game where deep passes should be called a ton. Let Milton try one more time to get it down. If not, so be it. We will take it outta the playbook or roll with Hooker going forward

See this is where you are wrong again Maurer didn't quit and he didn't leave because of what you think he did just like your hole argument about Milton 4 years Michigan blah blah. MILTON WAS NEVER GOING TO TAKE OVER TILL 2020. HE HAS STARTED 5 GAMES AT MICHIGAN AND 2 HERE 7 SEVEN GAMES IN 4 YEARS.

He was an early enrollee at Michigan in spring of 2018, meaning he went through spring and fall camps during 3 off-seasons, plus all of the practices during the 3 seasons themselves. He was not without a plethora of DI coaching before he transferred to UT. Stop trying to make it out like he's some freshman straight out of high school.

Early enrollee Joe Milton will be part of Michigan's QB race this fall

BTW: Your caps-lock key seems to be stuck.

He was an early enrollee at Michigan in spring of 2018, meaning he went through spring and fall camps during 3 off-seasons, plus all of the practices during the 3 seasons themselves. He was not without a plethora of DI coaching before he transferred to UT. Stop trying to make it out like he's some freshman straight out of high school.

Early enrollee Joe Milton will be part of Michigan's QB race this fall

BTW: Your caps-lock key seems to be stuck.
Try to think of it like Crompton or Peterman. And you will do yourself some good.

Try to think of it like Crompton or Peterman. And you will do yourself some good.

Why do I need to think of Joe Milton, as anyone other than "Joe Milton"?

Nothing occurred in the first two games to differentiate Joe Milton at Michigan, from Joe Milton at UT.

Everyone's sh!tting on Milton. The one positive was that for the most part the "tempo" part of the game is pretty quick when he is in.

Thats all I got.

Reactions: rocytop2624

VN Store

Back