Milton Starter Limit Deep Passes

madbamahater

I will get roasted, go ahead. I'm just as aggravated as the next person for the missed wide open touchdown misses.

Miltons stats before injury were actual pretty good, minus the wild overthrows that were extremely critically costly.....

He was 7/12 for 50 yards and rushed for 54 yards. Milton was the games leading rusher (even after being out early with injury) and he being the leading rusher is inexcusable for the rest of the offense.

If he can settle down and the coaches can gameplan around limiting the deep throws until timing gets better with he and receivers, I think he can be highly effective and good. The rest of his throws were accurate and some were surprisingly very good.

Had he not been injured and played the rest of the game, who knows, he may have connected on a couple that may have resulted in scores. But, moving forward the strategy may need to be to work the ball down the field in smaller chucks and be more patient for the deep shot.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
This offense is dependent on stretching the field. This gets numbers out of the box, which opens up running lanes. Heupel wants to run the ball but you have to be able to hit the deep ball. Hooker did much better executing this offense than Milton. If i am an opposing coach and i see Milton at QB, i am running single man coverage on the perimeter all day because every deep ball will be overthrown.

Milton's upside is through the roof. I can understand why CJH will be patient with him. If he can learn to take a little off his throws there is no limit to what this team could do. But that patience can't last forever. Next week doesn't matter, but after that, there better be some improvement, otherwise the experiment is over.

Reactions: chuckb1448
Dude that 2nd quarter missed throw, where the wide receiver broke out of coverage running straight down the field uncovered and Joe missed him badly after missing 3 other deep passes consecutively, killed him for me. That is not excusable. That is a dude who can’t make the throws. The Hyatt throw was late and floated too long. The rest were just overthrows that were terrible, but at least coverage was there and he’s trying to beat the defender and get ball out in front. Very hard throws. But that broken coverage, plenty of time, receiver running straight in front of you, nobody around for 10 yards in any direction, that did it for me. I’m out on old Joe. Plus two fumbles in two games. I don’t love Hendon either mainly because of turnovers. And similar bad throws, but he could at least spread the ball around. I feel like Heupel will try Joe again tho…

There isn't a QB headcoach in this world that wouldn't want Milton because they all think they can help him and coach him up. He his the type of QB a coach dreams about. But he can be a nightmare also. You can't blame Heupel for wanting to try and coach him up he does alot of good he just hasn't been able to connect on the deep ball. It's a such a waist . He had good throws in the game . It's aggravating.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
The only reason I was upset at any coaching outside of the 4th down call was the fact he kept letting him take deep shots. I'm not opposed to Milton playing if they limit it which will force him to get rid of the ball sooner too.
I think I'd like to see Hooker give it a shot too tho. Whomever starts against UF I say give a ridiculously short leash.

Milton's upside is through the roof. I can understand why CJH will be patient with him. If he can learn to take a little off his throws there is no limit to what this team could do. But that patience can't last forever. Next week doesn't matter, but after that, there better be some improvement, otherwise the experiment is over.

He's in his 4th year of college football. The experiment was over for him at the DI level when he lost the starting role at Michigan.

Heupel couldn't fix Milton's long-running accuracy issues this summer, and he's not going to fix them during the season, and prepare him for the game each week.

If I was a DC going against this team with Milton at QB I would not put my safeties deep. Would keep them up closer to defend the midrange passes and runs. I would take my chances Milton would overthrow the wide open receivers. I think the % would be in my favor.

I will get roasted, go ahead. I'm just as aggravated as the next person for the missed wide open touchdown misses.

Miltons stats before injury were actual pretty good, minus the wild overthrows that were extremely critically costly.....

He was 7/12 for 50 yards and rushed for 54 yards. Milton was the games leading rusher (even after being out early with injury) and he being the leading rusher is inexcusable for the rest of the offense.

If he can settle down and the coaches can gameplan around limiting the deep throws until timing gets better with he and receivers, I think he can be highly effective and good. The rest of his throws were accurate and some were surprisingly very good.

Had he not been injured and played the rest of the game, who knows, he may have connected on a couple that may have resulted in scores. But, moving forward the strategy may need to be to work the ball down the field in smaller chucks and be more patient for the deep shot.

The lack of running game and the defense is more to blame for Saturday's loss than the missed throws, although scoring more early would have changed the flow of the game.
The deep passes are a feature of the offense and are used to continually stretch the field. It’s what helps opens the run game and keeps the defense honest. Not having a deep passing attack is exactly what we had last year and we all know how that played out.

Last edited:
Statistically, Hooker outperformed Milton. Look at the two different games. Against Bowling Green State, a much worse defense than Pitt, Milton was 11/23 with 139 yards and 1 TD. With a defense as bad as BGSU, Milton should have had a field day. Against Pitt, Hooker was 15/21 for 188 yards and 2 TD. Hooker also had a higher yards per completion at 9.0. Milton was only 6 yards per completion against BGSU and 4.2 yards per completion (7/12, 50 yds) against Pitt.

It is clear to me that Hooker should be it going forward. This is further proving why Milton was benched at Michigan. He simply isn't capable of being coached up to prevent these issues. He showed no improvement from week one to week two.

I think Heupel did the right thing by giving Milton the chance. The question is, what do we do now? Heupel knows quarterbacking a WHOLE lot better than Pruitt so he obviously sees something there. But as a fan, I am not seeing much beyond the run ability and that is negated if the defense decides to stack the box because they no longer fear the arm. We have to get him in some sort of rhythm when he is in or we are stuck

I hear you. But if there is one thing we learned from the JG saga, it is that if you are a senior QB and still making basic mistakes, the odds of that being suddenly coached away are iffy at best. Of course you do get the occasional Crompton story. I think Heupel did the right thing by giving Milton the chance. The question is, what do we do now? Heupel knows quarterbacking a WHOLE lot better than Pruitt so he obviously sees something there. But as a fan, I am not seeing much beyond the run ability and that is negated if the defense decides to stack the box because they no longer fear the arm

See that's where I have to disagree. I don't think there is an upside to the QB room as a whole, to bring in a transfer QB with glaring issues stretching all the way back to high school, and then spend time and effort trying to fix a problem in a single fall camp that many other coaches have tried over longer periods of time and failed to accomplish.

Ultimately it cost us a QB in Maurer transferring, and directly resulted in the loss of a winnable game. Not to mention the time and effort that could have been used to further develop the rest of the QB room.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back