Milton moving forward

Needs to learn to control and put touch on the ball. Reminds me of the kid you'd play catch with in the backyard that can throw hard and fast, but you can't ever catch anything he throws because it flies over your head at 10,000 mph.
He's had 2 seasons on the bench to figure this out. Milton gonna Milton by this time. He'll have 2 full games to show us just who Milton is.

The one thing he does bring that’s a little different is the QB Power run plays. He’s got the frame to make a difference in controlling the game that way. He just needs to dial the arm back. It really is amazing how far he can throw a football though. I swear it seemed like those balls went 80 something yards in the air.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
The one thing he does bring that’s a little different is the QB Power run plays. He’s got the frame to make a difference in controlling the game that way. He just needs to dial the arm back. It really is amazing how far he can throw a football though. I swear it seemed like those balls went 80 something yards in the air.
I expect him to have 10+ carries this week. I like that he doesn’t sit in the pocket to long.

Reactions: VolPack22
It is a huge opportunity for him no doubt.
If he plays well these last two games, he could solidify himself as the starter/team leader going into next year. If he does not, I wouldn’t be surprised if Heupel picks out a QB from the portal that would be a good fit for this offense not only for a backup but for competition as well. He may even do that regardless, as our young QBs will probably need more time to develop.
That being said, I hope JM balls out!
He definitely has the tools to be one of the best ever.
Time will tell………

Doubt he does much running - with qb 1 and 3 injured already - don't look for him to run much by design.

I disagree. He hasn't been taxed physically this year, and his frame looks more durable than Hooker's. I may be in the minority, but I always thought Hooker looked a little awkward running the ball; his little "hop, skip" into the endzone made me go "WTH"?

I believe Milton will run the ball 8-10 times against Vandy. And the backfield will be leaned on heavily because:

1. It will keep them honest if they have to defend the run every play.
2. Contact for Milton might get him more into the groove of the game and settle him down; take a little off his fast ball delivery.

We can't make a living off of 70-yard bombs, whether complete or not, it puts our defense right back on the field, and we saw Saturday how that works for us.
We need to hammer Vandy physically, and take the deep shot when they stack the box.

Milton seems like an awesome teammate, and I really hope he can put it all together now that he’s the guy. I know this is the last way he would have dreamed it would happen. That picture of him with Hook on the sideline the other night said a lot about how close those guys are. At least he gets a full week to work the 1’s before Vandy. Squirrel seems like he has been getting more involved the last few weeks. Hopefully he and Milton can connect on some more of those bombs the next couple games. This will give a small preview of what the O will look like next year.

It helps the 2023 season that Milton will get 2 games and over a month of practice knowing hes starting.

It's not fair how Hooker's season. He's done so much for this team and will be remembered by Vols fans for a long time.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Like I said last week, I hope Joe is up to the task. Didn’t expect he’d have to do it this quick. He has a 2 game audition now to head into 2023 as the starter. He can firmly cement himself as QB 1 or open it up to competition. Sure he has a strong arm but can he show some touch when needed and can he lead the offense and make good decisions? That is far more important than completing a few 50 yard throws. He’s been Henson’s backup for two seasons. Hopefully he’s learned from him. One thing is for sure. We’re going to find out quicker than we thought.

Like I said last week, I hope Joe is up to the task. Didn’t expect he’d have to do it this quick. He has a 2 game audition now to head into 2023 as the starter. He can firmly cement himself as QB 1 or open it up to competition. Sure he has a strong arm but can he show some touch when needed and can he lead the offense and make good decisions? That is far more important than completing a few 50 yard throws. He’s been Henson’s backup for two seasons. Hopefully he’s learned from him. One thing is for sure. We’re going to find out quicker than we thought.
Hendon’s backup. Dang auto correct…..

He just needs to be smart with the football and not force anything. Use his legs when it isn't there and slide next time instead of lowering his shoulder. I really don't want to see the true freshman out there.

In case you guys missed it Hooker tore his ACL and is out for the season. Milton has the opportunity to lead us to 11 wins and give us hope for next season. Hope he plays well
I say go ahead and fire up the ‘23, Milton for Heisman campaign!

He doesn't stand a chance, the Milton haters will see to that. But if this team is done with their Cockitis, I expect him to show case his real abilities, despite his haters.

I disagree. He hasn't been taxed physically this year, and his frame looks more durable than Hooker's. I may be in the minority, but I always thought Hooker looked a little awkward running the ball; his little "hop, skip" into the endzone made me go "WTH"?

I believe Milton will run the ball 8-10 times against Vandy. And the backfield will be leaned on heavily because:

1. It will keep them honest if they have to defend the run every play.
2. Contact for Milton might get him more into the groove of the game and settle him down; take a little off his fast ball delivery.

We can't make a living off of 70-yard bombs, whether complete or not, it puts our defense right back on the field, and we saw Saturday how that works for us.
We need to hammer Vandy physically, and take the deep shot when they stack the box.
I agree with all of this. And yes, Hooker ran ugly, made me wince sometimes how awkward he went down, especially trying to slide.

He finds himself at the head of team with broken dreams and reeling after last night.

He can lead us....
He can finally do the things he set out to do.
Prove to himself that he's more than just a big arm and prove to everyone else that he is a good QB.l

I'll be honest. I don't have a great deal of confidence in him.
But I can't tell the future, so I'm allowing myself to imagine "what if"

If he goes 2-0 these last games....then he comes into what could be another magical year in 2023.

Right now....like it or not. Joe Milton III is the one dude that can bring us back to the light.

I would worry as much about Joe other than getting hurt...our defense could lose us the Vandy game...

Joe was throwing some dimes in the Missouri game, big dude that can run again staying health will be his challenge.

Reactions: IndianaVol
In case you guys missed it Hooker tore his ACL and is out for the season. Milton has the opportunity to lead us to 11 wins and give us hope for next season. Hope he plays well

Not worried about him as much as the defense...if we are that BAD without Banks and if does play the Vandy game is in jeopardy.

Milton has looked night and day different in his appearances this season. Heup has gotten him settled down and dialed in. He will not be the problem Saturday. It's the D that worries the heck out of me.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog

VN Store

Back