Mike Norvell blow back.

But does NIL make throwing games more or less likely? All NIL does is takes under-the-table money and puts it on the table. When you can make considerable sums legally, do you think that makes guys more or less likely to throw games? If anything, the advent of being able to legally make a bunch of money makes that a more attractive option than illegally making a bunch of money. That is not to say games don't get thrown (and college sports are way more likely to be thrown than professional) and won't get thrown in the future, but it seems like it makes it less likely.

It is kind of like when professional athlete salaries started to reach a point where those guys started making more money from them then potentially throwing games. When the dynamic changed, those guys suddenly had a lot more to lose from throwing games or point shaving. It ceased being an attractive option at that point.
Or if a kid is somewhat unhappy or banged up a bit they can throw in the towel. We have seen it happen with players without NIL, without outside money. I.dont think it's going to be widespread, but what happens during a coaching change, or if the player is already thinking of transferring?

Considering there was no chance of organized point shaving before, or no occurrences in my life, we are starting from the lowest bar possible for "more". In the case of that almost absolute I will take the over.

Portal and NIL together will kill it. Before, the “under the table” stuff was a car or a few thousand dollars and now we’re talking about millions. These kids with that kind of money at their age is a recipe for disaster.
Taxes they have to pay and they won’t be going to class with that money in their pocket.
Injuries, poor preference, and “extracurricular activities” are going to negate some deal and there will be lawsuits……
It’s Pandora’s Box.

Maybe I’m wrong. It won’t happen tomorrow, but down the road we will look back and say this was a crappy a$$ decision.
"They might blow the money" or "they have to pay taxes" don't really strike me as convincing arguments that the players shouldn't get a piece of an industry that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

We wouldn't say that about any other endeavor where young people stand to make a lot of money.

I wouldn't be shocked if they don't even make college kids go to class anymore in 5 years. They just sign to represent the school on the field with no class sign ups

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
"They might blow the money" or "they have to pay taxes" don't really strike me as convincing arguments that the players shouldn't get a piece of an industry that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

We wouldn't say that about any other endeavor where young people stand to make a lot of money.
A college athlete Union is around the corner......................

Reactions: Sudden Impact
There hasn’t been true college football since coaches stopped teaching and started getting six figure checks.

Jimbo Fisher literally admitted today NIL has been going on forever and everyone just kept hush about it.

This idea that NIL now being legal is going to kill college football might be the dumbest narrative out there on this site. Have you seen ratings for college football games? Do you see what Disney pays for CFB rights? Now instead players are getting rightfully paid and it’s within the rules. This makes it better.
it may be, but just remember how much Disney pays for minor league and semi pro sports. Nobody cares at all. It may turn out that the charade was really important to keep viewers hooked. We will see. The players can influence that greatly, I think, but I don’t know that they will see that.

business people really struggle with success on this level. They just cough out some platitude like “grow or die” when it comes time to die.

This was not addressed at me but I agree and I’m not a boomer. Players are going to sign for NIL money and now that they can transfer they will leave for more NIL money or hold the school they are at hostage for more NIL money. Players will also leave because they don’t feel they are getting their due cut of NIL money. This is basically going to be minor league for NFL (more than it already is) with free agency. There is not going to be true college football.

Does a company willing to pay NIL money to a kid have influence over where he or she goes? In other words, could the Grand Ol' Opry say "If you go to Vanderbilt (Belmont, Tennessee State, whatever...) we'll give you money"? Or is there protection from that? Or do you know?

Does a company willing to pay NIL money to a kid have influence over where he or she goes? In other words, could the Grand Ol' Opry say "If you go to Vanderbilt (Belmont, Tennessee State, whatever...) we'll give you money"? Or is there protection from that? Or do you know?
That is thoretically illegal, wink wink.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright
The problem for a company is they can't easily rescind the deal if a player transfers. That's not allowed and it's a contract deal, so the Opry had better make those deals year by year.

Reactions: tntar heel
From a source at collins hill (aka a buddy that coaches on the staff)- Florida State failed to talk hardly any NIL with Hunter late in the process. Jackson State along with Barstool offered 2 million dollars and a television show. Jackson State isn't paying a dime, but Barstool is. This kind of money was enough, along with playing for a legend like Prime was enough for Hunter to sign. Hunter knows he talented and could have gone anywhere, but he knows at Jackson State, he will be the top player for as long as he wants to be.

From a source at collins hill (aka a buddy that coaches on the staff)- Florida State failed to talk hardly any NIL with Hunter late in the process. Jackson State along with Barstool offered 2 million dollars and a television show. Jackson State isn't paying a dime, but Barstool is. This kind of money was enough, along with playing for a legend like Prime was enough for Hunter to sign. Hunter knows he talented and could have gone anywhere, but he knows at Jackson State, he will be the top player for as long as he wants to be.

...and he gets 2 million dollars. Surely it isn't that much. They could get Tom Brady for that kind of money. I bet Prime Time ain't getting that much for the Geico commercials.

And what the crap is Barstool?

And what the crap is Barstool?
Barstool Sports is a digital media company that produces content focused on sports and pop-culture. The deal was indeed 2 million dollars. It's really not that hard to believe. I mean Quinn Ewers is getting a NIL deal worth 4-5 million dollars from Texas. Of course, Barstool and Jackson State are in full denial mode about money being involved, but that's a bunch of bs.

Barstool Sports is a digital media company that produces content focused on sports and pop-culture. The deal was indeed 2 million dollars. It's really not that hard to believe. I mean Quinn Ewers is getting a NIL deal worth 4-5 million dollars from Texas. Of course, Barstool and Jackson State are in full denial mode about money being involved, but that's a bunch of bs.

Pandemonium reigns

VN Store

Back