Mike Norvell blow back.

If anything, wouldn't NIL deals and college kids getting paid reduce the chances for point shaving, throwing games, etc.?

Kids can get paid now, on the table and in line with NCAA rules, for their NIL. When that is an option, why risk everything on throwing a game? Not saying it couldn't or doesn't happen, but it seems like the chances would be reduced.
People always want more. And someone is always willing to pay for what they want

Reactions: TC 83
People always want more. And someone is always willing to pay for what they want
But does NIL make throwing games more or less likely? All NIL does is takes under-the-table money and puts it on the table. When you can make considerable sums legally, do you think that makes guys more or less likely to throw games? If anything, the advent of being able to legally make a bunch of money makes that a more attractive option than illegally making a bunch of money. That is not to say games don't get thrown (and college sports are way more likely to be thrown than professional) and won't get thrown in the future, but it seems like it makes it less likely.

It is kind of like when professional athlete salaries started to reach a point where those guys started making more money from them then potentially throwing games. When the dynamic changed, those guys suddenly had a lot more to lose from throwing games or point shaving. It ceased being an attractive option at that point.

If anything, wouldn't NIL deals and college kids getting paid reduce the chances for point shaving, throwing games, etc.?
It would, yeah. It would force the mob into a competitive situation for influence. Harder to bribe a millionaire. Once gambling is legal everywhere, the payoff is larger, so they can pay more. I'm not sure what way the overall trend is going, but it's certainly not getting worse due to NIL.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I find it highly ironic that the school which coined the term Free Shoes University is complaining about how NIL Deals have left them at a disadvantage because they don’t have the boosters with as deep of pockets as other schools.

I find it highly ironic that the school which coined the term Free Shoes University is complaining about how NIL Deals have left them at a disadvantage because they don’t have the boosters with as deep of pockets as other schools.
People who hate NIL don't hate it out of any kind of principle - they hate it because they perceive (rightly or wrongly) that their school will be caught on the wrong side of it. Or in FSU's case, has already been caught on the wrong side of it.

NIL deals will cool off and come in line...After a few backers lose some real dollars on kids that didn't pan out. Throwing a mil at this kid to use his NIL will not persuade me to pay Barstool any attention at all. Didn't know the name before this thread, have no interest now just because of a kid I know nothing of and his only upside coming coming out of HS is just potential.

NIL will kill college athletics
Period
Why? It's taking the money they were making under the table and putting it on the table.

The thing that will have the greater impact on college sports, IMO, is the portal/being able to transfer without having to sit out.

Why? It's taking the money they were making under the table and putting it on the table.

The thing that will have the greater impact on college sports, IMO, is the portal/being able to transfer without having to sit out.
Both are anathema. Wait for it.:eek:

Portal and NIL together will kill it. Before, the “under the table” stuff was a car or a few thousand dollars and now we’re talking about millions. These kids with that kind of money at their age is a recipe for disaster.
Taxes they have to pay and they won’t be going to class with that money in their pocket.
Injuries, poor preference, and “extracurricular activities” are going to negate some deal and there will be lawsuits……
It’s Pandora’s Box.

Maybe I’m wrong. It won’t happen tomorrow, but down the road we will look back and say this was a crappy a$$ decision.

It’s funny today seeing Deion pull this kid away from fsu thanks to NIL. However let’s all hope that Oprah doesn’t become interested in her alma mater football team and next year every Nashville kid gets a 5 million signing bonus to sign with TSU.

Okay boomer.
This was not addressed at me but I agree and I’m not a boomer. Players are going to sign for NIL money and now that they can transfer they will leave for more NIL money or hold the school they are at hostage for more NIL money. Players will also leave because they don’t feel they are getting their due cut of NIL money. This is basically going to be minor league for NFL (more than it already is) with free agency. There is not going to be true college football.

Reactions: peaygolf
This was not addressed at me but I agree and I’m not a boomer. Players are going to sign for NIL money and now that they can transfer they will leave for more NIL money or hold the school they are at hostage for more NIL money. Players will also leave because they don’t feel they are getting their due cut of NIL money. This is basically going to be minor league for NFL (more than it already is) with free agency. There is not going to be true college football.

There hasn’t been true college football since coaches stopped teaching and started getting six figure checks.

Jimbo Fisher literally admitted today NIL has been going on forever and everyone just kept hush about it.

This idea that NIL now being legal is going to kill college football might be the dumbest narrative out there on this site. Have you seen ratings for college football games? Do you see what Disney pays for CFB rights? Now instead players are getting rightfully paid and it’s within the rules. This makes it better.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
There hasn’t been true college football since coaches stopped teaching and started getting six figure checks.

Jimbo Fisher literally admitted today NIL has been going on forever and everyone just kept hush about it.

This idea that NIL now being legal is going to kill college football might be the dumbest narrative out there on this site. Have you seen ratings for college football games? Do you see what Disney pays for CFB rights? Now instead players are getting rightfully paid and it’s within the rules. This makes it better.

College football hasn’t been about college in a long, long time, anyone who has had a class with football players in it knows these guys aren’t doing their own work

VN Store

Back