Mike Leach

I have been really curious to see whether SEC shorts will try to deal with actual people Leach and Kiffin, now that such ridiculous people are available and basically impossible to ignore. That picture of Petrino in the "It's a wonderful life" skit this week is a good example of how far they go, I think. They don't actively parody individual people, although they had a skit where somebody pretended to be Matthew McConaughey off camera.

I'm no analyst of football, so I don't have any prediction of what Leach will do. We'll see.
SEC Shorts are funny and entertaining (I enjoy them) it's doubtful that they will go after Leach personally. Considering that Leach has a law degree from Pepperdine and SEC Shorts don't have sovereign immunity to hide behind the pirate would take everything they own.

Kiffen is a different story though.

Tell me again how may division titles or championships he won at either school.
Well, he did win the AFCA coach of the year award in 2018. It's obvious you have never been to Lubbock or Pullman. His peers seem to know how hard it is to win in Pullman.

Reactions: Alto1
Never said “I told you so”.
Never said Leach couldn’t coach in this or any other conference either.
Apparently, he can coach good enough to beat the defending National Champions and be competitive in his only other game, even with a new team without a full spring practice schedule in this “Covid” year.
I’d say 1-1 is better than 0-2 through 2 games. I’m sharp enough to know that.

Now you can run and quote me on that........
Apologies for the quotation. Edited post.

Reactions: BUBear
No problem.

Jury will be out on Leach for a while no doubt, but he did make a great first impression, I’ll give him that..........
LSU was over rated. They just lost too much from last year's team and staff. It will not take SEC defenses very long to get a handle on the Pirate's offense. The talent level at MissSt will never be elite and the west is still tough. Much like us and the hornblower, fans will tire of the Leach bs if he does not win big and win fast. JMHO

LSU was over rated. They just lost too much from last year's team and staff. It will not take SEC defenses very long to get a handle on the Pirate's offense. The talent level at MissSt will never be elite and the west is still tough. Much like us and the hornblower, fans will tire of the Leach bs if he does not win big and win fast. JMHO

No doubt, LSU loosing the players they did from last years NC team, they were due a BIG drop off.
It will be interesting as to how they end up this year.

But back to Leach.
To MSU fan base and administration, beating LSU first thing was HUGE.
Helped them justify “their” hire of him.
If, he keeps them competitive with a big win sprinkled in every now and then, he’ll keep them happy and that will be good enough for them as it would with a lot of fan bases..........

Here’s hoping we get one of those BIG wins Saturday!! GBO!! 🍊

Check out LSUs recruiting classes the last 5-10 years compared to MSST. Talent alone should have won that game for that Tigers.

This thread is funny.

After week 1:
I told everyone Leach should’ve been our coach! He’s already turned Costello into a Heisman finalist against the DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!

After week 2:
Leach is and always will be mediocre. This is why he’s never been a SEC coach before, he can’t win on the big stage. I’m so glad he didn’t come here!

The sudden rise and fall of Leach at MSU would be a great SEC short if they haven’t made one already. Perhaps we give the guy at least 2 or 3 years before we call him the next coming or cast him out.
Some of us were saying the "After week 2" things after week 1. We benefitted from remembering Mike Leach's history at other schools.

Reactions: feathersax
Some of us were saying the "After week 2" things after week 1. We benefitted from remembering Mike Leach's history at other schools.
Been funny reading some of these Leach platitudes from the past 2 weeks. Actually, I like the guy & his entertaining offense. MSU will be dangerous, but defenses will catch on...oh wait: Arkansas already did & broke a 3-year SEC losing streak.:eek:

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
He’s a solid coach and is perfect for a place like MSU where 8 wins a year will work. He won’t hit that number every year but once he has time to get his players and system implemented he will hit that number somewhat regularly.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
The Leach haters always have ridiculous standards. They are acting like he didn't take over a 6-7 team. Miss State was expected to be the 2nd worst team in the SEC West this year and most people expected them to go 2-8 or 3-7 against their schedule. They win 2-3 more games and Leach is already overacthieving with that roster. And it's typically taken him a few years to get his players anyway.

Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney would not be winning national titles at Wash State or Texas Tech either

Of course, a lot of these same Leach bashers were bashing Dan Mullen; saying he'd fail at Florida because he didn't win a national title at frickin' Miss State. There are some people on these boards that think a coach sucks if he can't get a middle school team to beat the Super Bowl champs.

I don't agree with this. Leach has had a few great DCs (Ruffin McNeal, Alex Grinch). It's just as soon as they prove themselves under Leach, they can get a huge raise by going somewhere else. If you can make $200k at Wash State and you get a $1 million offer elsewhere, you take the mil. Texas Tech and Wash State can't compete for top coaching talent.

Leach at a top-tier school where he could get a top-notch DC would be scary.
Al lot of this was response to those who used one game as a victory lap to prove that his system will be successful in the SEC. If that's how the logic works, the next game could be used in an inverse argument.

Everyone should probably wait and see what happens, and stop getting so emotionally invested in being right.

Reactions: LoudOrange
How long has Leach been coaching in relation to Pruitt?

Two games into year three in Lubbock Leach was two games above .500. Two games into year three Pruitt is one game above .500.

Game One (Year three) Leach went to Ohio State and lost...few teams win there. Game One (year three) Pruitt struggled to win at South Carolina.

Year three Leach was in arguably the best division in CFB. Year one at MSST Leach is in unquestionably the best division in CFB.

Now that Pruitt has got the cupcakes of USCe and Missouri off his schedule who will he feast on...Vandy???

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalCoach
Two games into year three in Lubbock Leach was two games above .500. Two games into year three Pruitt is one game above .500.

Game One (Year three) Leach went to Ohio State and lost...few teams win there. Game One (year three) Pruitt struggled to win at South Carolina.

Year three Leach was in arguably the best division in CFB. Year one at MSST Leach is in unquestionably the best division in CFB.

Now that Pruitt has got the cupcakes of USCe and Missouri off his schedule who will he feast on...Vandy???

So from the beginning of this post, you have bad info. For instance: two games into year three, Pruitt is three games above .500, with a record of 15-12. I know, not a huge difference, but if you're going base an argument on facts, you should use actual facts.

But beyond the errors, little of what you say seems to make sense. What is your point with all this, that Mike Leach can lose in good places? Okay, agreed. Mike Leach can lose in good places.

As for where Pruitt and the Vols go next...stay tuned. :)

Reactions: TAF
So Leach lights up a LSU that just to Missouri. And then he gets beat by first year HC Sam Pittman. Then, he scores a whopping 2 points against UK. So someone explain how great Leach is again?
It really does emphasize that LSU is bad. I mean, really bad. The worst defending champ in a long time. You will rarely see this kind of fall off from one year to the next in college football. They may go 3-7. They can't stop anybody.

It really does emphasize that LSU is bad. I mean, really bad. The worst defending champ in a long time. You will rarely see this kind of fall off from one year to the next in college football. They may go 3-7. They can't stop anybody.

It's like 2010 Auburn just skipped 2011 and went straight to 2012.

Leach threw his players under the bus in postgame. So he gets all the glory when they win and none of the blame when they lay an egg. If Pruitt had made those same comments today, we’d have 100 “Fire Pruitt” threads in the FF right now.

Those wanting Leach were short sighted.

Turns out the LSU win was garbage, and his personality is still toxic. Will drive Miss St into the cellar below Arkansas and Ole Miss

Leach threw his players under the bus in postgame. So he gets all the glory when they win and none of the blame when they lay an egg. If Pruitt had made those same comments today, we’d have 100 “Fire Pruitt” threads in the FF right now.
Also on brand. Leach does the same thing everywhere he goes, yet so many people have failed to recognize it. They’ll probably beat Auburn or TAMU in a shootout and have people calling him a genius again. Then they’ll lose the Egg Bowl 56-35, and people will say he just needs a good defensive coordinator. He’ll be good for Mississippi State for three or four years. They’ll get some more upsets. I honestly won’t be surprised if they upset Alabama at some point, but he will eventually wear out his welcome either by repeatedly getting smoked by Ole Miss or just by being an abrasive twat. The same Tennessee fans who want him here would want him fired the first time he passed on 3rd and 1.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back