Mike Leach hospitalized - passed away 12/12/22

Best wishes for the family if this is true. From personal experience, my Dad had a massive heart attack while on the road on business. Our family had to make a mad dash to his bedside and then go over all of the medical options available, etc. It's a process before plugs are pulled and the inevitable happens. I don't wish it on anyone.

Lane Kiffin's quote just a minute ago talked about him in past tense. Maybe nothing or he already knows... damn.
The report that I read said he had a massive heart attack at his home and didn't have any medical attention for 10 to 15 minutes. Worst case scenario would be insufficient oxygen to his brain which would probably render him as brain dead even though he's on life support. Here's hoping and praying the story was wrong.

No idea about the situation, I don’t want to get into the speculation. Just hope everyone is praying for him and his family. The guy was just built differently all the way around, unique, inventive, quirky. You never knew what you were going to get with him but you always knew he would tell you what he thought without filter.

Hope the reports of him being without oxygen for 10-15 min turn out to be not true because that is a terrible prognosis. The world is a better place with Coach Leach in it. Out of all of the college coaches outside of Heupel always felt that the one I would enjoy the most sitting down with and watching a football game with would be Coach Leach

Hope the reports of him being without oxygen for 10-15 min turn out to be not true because that is a terrible prognosis. The world is a better place with Coach Leach in it. Out of all of the college coaches outside of Heupel always felt that the one I would enjoy the most sitting down with and watching a football game with would be Coach Leach
It just says he didn't receive medical attention for 10-15 minutes. Doesn't say he wasn't breathing for that long or anything, although it possible he wasn't All we can do is pray and hope for the best.

Reactions: ENGRVOL
So I went to SECRant to see if any MSU fans could provide some insight, and it sounds like he had a massive coronary event, was airlifted via helicopter to UMMC in Jackson, and is in critical condition (life support) while his family "has some difficult decisions to make." Apparently the transport to Jackson was delayed due to weather and a low ceiling, which didn't make matters any better. Sounds like a good length of time with no oxygen going to his brain, and barring a miracle, has permanent brain damage. Seems like a matter of time before the family says their goodbyes and makes one of life's most toughest choices. At the very least, it seems as though Coach Leach may have coached his last game. Again, this is me relaying information from TOS; I have no inside information, nor do I claim to.

As an aside -- and this is trivial given the circumstances -- I have to applaud Freak for giving us the best message board out there. The Mike Leach thread was derailed several times by politics and Covid arguments, which made me thankful for our separate political forum. They have a downvote button, which sounds nice sometimes, but can really sow negativity throughout a discussion and causes people to pile on and derail the conversation. The ability to click on a quoted post and go back to it is super helpful to follow a thread; seems like they don't have that option. The webpage formatting is so much cleaner here. Plus, it's nice that there's pretty much entirely Tennessee fans here, and the fans from other teams are usually pretty polite houseguests. Pretty easy to see why there weren't a lot of Tennessee fans over there -- they're all here.
While I do occasionally desire a downvote button, it is a terrible idea.
There is no good reason to encourage people to feel unwelcome and make them think leaving the forum is best.
We have the best forum in the nation. Hands Down.

My daughter goes there. Lots of rumors floating around. She heard from a classmate that he died but that is a complete rumor. No one knows his current state. But it sounds extremely serious.

For what it’s worth (and I hope not much) but earlier Finebaum was speaking about him in the past tense. “Im glad I knew Mike”. Definitely doesn’t sound good

Reactions: Sara Clark
What a treasure Mike Leach is to college football.

Very few people in the world can play the guitar the same way Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits does. It's a combination of a lot of things, probably more technical than most folks here care about, but the result is a sound that is instantly recognizable, a bit quirky, absolutely unique ... and unquestionably genius. Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour and Slash may get all the Rolling Stone front pages, but rock guitar lovers have a special place in their hearts for the Dire Straits front man.

Mike Leach is to college football what Mark Knopfler is to rock guitaring.

We may never see his like again.

Best wishes and prayers to all the Leach family, and the Mississippi State community.

(Btw, I think Leach once said Dire Straits was one of his favorite bands.)

Sounds like he will be on life support at least until all his children have spent some final moments with him

The last few sentences speaks volumes. Same God that parted the red sea still reigns supreme... you damn right. His fight with God to live longer on earth needs help from everyone. Praying for him.

The last few sentences speaks volumes. Same God that parted the red sea still reigns supreme... you damn right. His fight with God to live longer on earth needs help from everyone. Praying for him.

From MSU Mod...

I wish I had better news, but I’m told UMMC has transitioned into comfort care measures for Coach Mike Leach. It’s essentially hospice care at this point.

I’m told he’s been largely if not totally nonresponsive since the cardiac event yesterday morning.

It appears to simply be a matter of time now. It all seems so unfair. Life is fleeting. Tell those you love how much you love them. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

We will not be working to break the final story. We will respect the family’s timing on all of that. Yes, we have a story ready to roll, but we will now await the official and unfortunate word from the University.

I can’t believe we’re even having these discussions. It’s so surreal. He isn’t just our football coach. He’s Mike Leach, a national treasure. I’m honored to say he was our coach for three seasons. It’s also nice to remember that he’s going out a winner.

Please remember his family, our coaches and players in your thoughts and prayers.

I love you all and Hail State!

From MSU Mod...

I wish I had better news, but I’m told UMMC has transitioned into comfort care measures for Coach Mike Leach. It’s essentially hospice care at this point.

I’m told he’s been largely if not totally nonresponsive since the cardiac event yesterday morning.

It appears to simply be a matter of time now. It all seems so unfair. Life is fleeting. Tell those you love how much you love them. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

We will not be working to break the final story. We will respect the family’s timing on all of that. Yes, we have a story ready to roll, but we will now await the official and unfortunate word from the University.

I can’t believe we’re even having these discussions. It’s so surreal. He isn’t just our football coach. He’s Mike Leach, a national treasure. I’m honored to say he was our coach for three seasons. It’s also nice to remember that he’s going out a winner.

Please remember his family, our coaches and players in your thoughts and prayers.

I love you all and Hail State!
Dang, that tugs your heart right there.

VN Store

Back