Mike Canales comments on Vols possibly using two-quarterback system

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...s-vols-possibly-using-two-quarterback-system/
“I know plenty of programs have done it,” Canales said. “I know one in the SEC used it a long time ago back at Florida when Coach Spurrier did that.
“The big thing is we’re just going to try and get all three quarterbacks ready to play in that room. I think it’s important that they’re all ready to play. They’re a snap away from being the next guy. And when Coach Jones is ready and the timing is right, we’ll make that decision.”

I could see a two QB system working. It did for Florida with Leak and Tebow, but as others say if you have two Qbs you have no Qbs What's yalls opinion?

If you go back and watch the video of the 98 UT/UF game he used it then as well with Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer. Watched that game last night. He rotated the QB's every play instead of by series or quarter. He used that method instead of signaling in plays, that way he was in the QB's ear and then sent him out. Eliminates miscommunication issues. While it is obviously true UT won that game, UF still had plenty of offense. Al Wilson and others created turnovers that stopped those UF scoring drives.

If it's done to keep one QB happy and from transferring then it's a disaster. If it's done because each QB has a different skill set that an keep defenses offbalance then it can work.

Reactions: 1 person
If there isn't a clear starter, I don't see a problem starting both qb's for the first two games. Probably shouldn't rush the decision of a starter if QD and JG have a hairs length between their separation of being the starter of Tennessee.

Believe me, we'll know by Florida who the guy is. The Florida game always seems to be the one that works that out for us, good or bad.

Reactions: 2 people
Id like to see a tebow/leak national championship year two qb system. Dormady drives the ship but guarantano has a couple packages he runs to keep the D on its feet

Dormady has NFL size and arm, plus is very cerebral and a good leader. he will be given every chance, knowing a higher rated prospect is nipping at his heals.

You can see how Dormady handled it in the Spring. He made every snap count.
This kid is legit. Dobbs free lancing ability was like none other. Now, Butch will have a qb who can call and execute every play in his offense.

This system, with the right adjustments, could provide Dormady an opportunity for a one and done type year. Dobbs leaned on his legs, and rightfully so. Still, I don't think we've seen a QB who can intellectualize and manifest the game plan. I'm hoping QD is that guy.

You speak the truth, Only CBJ could possibly screw this up.

Dormady has NFL size and arm, plus is very cerebral and a good leader. he will be given every chance, knowing a higher rated prospect is nipping at his heals.

You can see how Dormady handled it in the Spring. He made every snap count.
This kid is legit. Dobbs free lancing ability was like none other. Now, Butch will have a qb who can call and execute every play in his offense.

This system, with the right adjustments, could provide Dormady an opportunity for a one and done type year. Dobbs leaned on his legs, and rightfully so. Still, I don't think we've seen a QB who can intellectualize and manifest the game plan. I'm hoping QD is that guy.

You speak the truth, Only CBJ could possibly screw this up.

Coach Bryant is dead. I really believe that philosophy was more true 30 years than it is today. I do hope one separates himself but if not let's run a 2 QB system and take advantage of the positives...guess we'll have no other choice..,JMO

Yet when has a true 2 QB system been employed and worked?

I'm not talking like a Chris Leake with Tebow running 5 plays a game either (Tebow attempted 33 passes as a Freshman)

Jimmys and Joes v Xs and Os. If you have 2 studs then I have a feeling your odds of success are greater. Spurrier did it more than once, Meyer did it, and even Fulmer (04') did it. All of those cases had 2 really good players, usually offering different styles.

What gets lumped in as a "2 QB system" is most often a situation like Jones and Dooley had from 10'-13' where you had more than one mediocre player and they were on a search for someone who could win consistently. These are 95% of the 2 QB system situations I think. Those are not by design, but more by necessity. They rarely end well, but then again they frankly weren't starting well either.

If Jones' thinks we have 2 upper echelon SEC QBs on our roster who can light it up ... then I have no problem releasing them both on opponents. Especially, when they have different skill sets allowing for different packages. Gives the defenses nightmares.

It's more about talent than it is the system IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that we don't use a two quarterback system. I mean just look at this response, he doesnt talk about even the possibility at Tennessee, just segues into talking about a Florida team from long ago.

All these non-answers from Butch and his coaches are just that, non-answers to keep the QB competition open and to keep GT guessing. I believe that QD will be our starting quarterback, with maybe an appearance by JG against GT

Reactions: 2 people
It seems QD will be the main guy, with JG thrown in to mix things up some....
To keep both here, some politics may have to be played.

I like QD's arm a great deal....

playing with fire was last year hill man. 2017 is the change we have all be waiting for. I'm not saying superbowl, but this year looks GOOD. We have it all working for us at the moment, And a 2 QB system can absolutely work with QD taking the bulk of the snaps, if they shut him down we throw JG in there NOT AS A RUNNER, but to throw off the defense and make them think. It also energizes the offense. The point being WE HAVE OPTIONS.

Wit ya DD, and I'm behind whatever they decide. But if true, it WILL open the door to much second guessing - in the pre and post game analysis....and during the game.

Unless we're putting up 35 or more every game - boom!

I don't see getting a highly rated qb just be a backup. I understand it the starter is a highly rated qb so there isn't a drop-off if the starter comes out for whatever reason. I think they should be utilized in situations that are interchangeable. I think both should be used for game experience.

Spurrier did it at Florida and South Carolina. Urban Meyer has done it at Florida and Ohio St. It is a gamble that I think Jones shouldn't take. Put Dormandy out there. He is a Stephen Garcia type with his strong arm and his deceptive mobility. He knows the playbook better than the rest...he has a high football IQ being a coach's son...Dormandy's arm and accuracy will really take the passing game to the next level. Plus he had a HUGE chip on his shoulder in that spring game....I think he would make a better field general too....I'm just saying.

Guys. They're clearly just trying to generate competition throughout the rest of summer workouts. We have two crazy talented quarterbacks and I feel comfortable with either of them in the drivers seat. I assume there will be a new leader named leading up to week 1

The only two QB system that I'm for is the one where were beating the snot out of our opponent and the 2nd QB gets time to play in almost every game, which helps for both injury and experience. I've seen it work for other coaches and teams. But I don't want Tennessee to try and be that "rare" experience to try and make it work. Let's be that tried and true experience where our starter gels with the rest of the offense and destroys the other team.

Most folks I listen to expect 2 QBs in the first 2 games and QD to be named starter for UF. Apparently there is real concern that JG will transfer if QD is named starter before the season starts.

I would have thought last year would have been the year to run a 2-QB system.

Dobbs/Dormady's skill sets contain enough differences to keep the defense guessing which generally leads to 1st downs and touchdowns.

Other than one time (with Spurrior), I've never heard of it being successful.

IknoxvolsI said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Someone, KB I think, gave him another example of it being successful. Might want to check with him.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/t...s-vols-possibly-using-two-quarterback-system/
“I know plenty of programs have done it,” Canales said. “I know one in the SEC used it a long time ago back at Florida when Coach Spurrier did that.
“The big thing is we’re just going to try and get all three quarterbacks ready to play in that room. I think it’s important that they’re all ready to play. They’re a snap away from being the next guy. And when Coach Jones is ready and the timing is right, we’ll make that decision.”

I could see a two QB system working. It did for Florida with Leak and Tebow, but as others say if you have two Qbs you have no Qbs What's yalls opinion?

I agree that rotating QB's in most instances just does not work. We have tried it with little success.

When the opportunity presents itself blow out the opposing team. Then insert your #2 QB with the #1 offense and let him get some real playing time in the 3rd and 4qt

Verses what we normally see. Mop up duty with the #2's with three mins left in the 4qt, "son just go in there and hand the ball to the #2/3 RB" SMH

If Everyone stuff's our running game to force us to throw and we fail, the 2 qb may be our only hope. I think the o line will dictate this.

VN Store

Back