Mid-Week treat - Volleyball Wed. & Thr. vs Georgia at TBA

It's 1-2 now after the four set win over Georgia. The girls played well tonight. Maybe starting off against Kentucky helped them come together with that experience behind them. Some of our younger players are starting to step up and a freshman is making a very good impression. More after we complete the second game of this series tomorrow night.

Just how good is the volleyball team? I thought they were supposed to be better than the WBB team just from what I read before the season started. I see Missouri and Kentucky are ranked in the top ten. Is Tennessee good enough to be ranked in the top 20? I'm watching Missouri play Kentucky at this moment. They are both good but not at the level of Penn State, Minnesota, or Texas. At least it does not look like it.

Just how good is the volleyball team? I thought they were supposed to be better than the WBB team just from what I read before the season started. I see Missouri and Kentucky are ranked in the top ten. Is Tennessee good enough to be ranked in the top 20? I'm watching Missouri play Kentucky at this moment. They are both good but not at the level of Penn State, Minnesota, or Texas. At least it does not look like it.
Not as good as most had hoped! One of the tallest best players opted out and kind of threw the team in a spin. Ky and MIzzou from who i saw play are pretty good. I am sure Florida and others are good as well. Lower mid pack for us i think. I do not think even with the power conferences not playing we are top 20 material. We did beat a fair Ga team last night and hopefully can again tonight. Overall we are a little young but we have some talent . Not enough real tall ladies which teams you mentioned and many others have to be top echelon. JMHO!

Was fun to watch. Thought we lacked a bit of velocity on kills. Maybe just me.

It may be as simple as reducing velocity to gain accuracy. It doesn't do any good to use full power if you can't keep the ball in bounds. Or maybe they were just tired? ;)

Not as good as most had hoped! One of the tallest best players opted out and kind of threw the team in a spin. Ky and MIzzou from who i saw play are pretty good. I am sure Florida and others are good as well. Lower mid pack for us i think. I do not think even with the power conferences not playing we are top 20 material. We did beat a fair Ga team last night and hopefully can again tonight. Overall we are a little young but we have some talent . Not enough real tall ladies which teams you mentioned and many others have to be top echelon. JMHO!

Yep..I think we are a mid-pack team at this point but I think I've seen signs of some of the girls gaining confidence and getting more comfortable in their new positions. Our lack of height hurts us and limits our potential to move into the upper-level rankings but I think we are building a sound foundation for the future. We have some height on the bench but they probably aren't ready just yet.

Thank you.

Lady Vols 2nd match airing on SEC Network now in case anyone forgot. Lady Vols wake up and come from behind to take 1st set 25-23.

A study of inconsistency...with a bunch of bright spots. The girls played with a lot of heart throughout the match and, imo, could have/should have won the match. The way they played the 4th set was inspirational, but then they lost their composure and found a way to lose set 5. As a former coach, I can tell you that these are the kind of matches that just drive you nuts.

As to the bright spots, we finally got to see some of our size in action. Emily Merrick, #13, showed lots of potential for her first appearance this season. She did some good stuff both hitting and blocking. Nicoletta Capizzi, #24, made an appearance and made a couple of nice "heady" plays. Our true freshman star in the making, #23, Jasmine Brooks didn't have the game that she had last night but shows lots of potential. Our blocking, which was so good last night, was off and on tonight. Hurt us a lot.

The amazing Lily Felts, #15 was still doing her thing and #20 Ava Bell, healthy at last, had another good outing in the middle. Danielle Mahaffey, #21 was out of sorts tonight and made several errors. #3, Madison Coulter, did what she usually does and turned in another double double. I think we have several quality players that are young but improving. If we can get away from the inconsistency bug, we might be alright. Time will tell

A study of inconsistency...with a bunch of bright spots. The girls played with a lot of heart throughout the match and, imo, could have/should have won the match. The way they played the 4th set was inspirational, but then they lost their composure and found a way to lose set 5. As a former coach, I can tell you that these are the kind of matches that just drive you nuts.

As to the bright spots, we finally got to see some of our size in action. Emily Merrick, #13, showed lots of potential for her first appearance this season. She did some good stuff both hitting and blocking. Nicoletta Capizzi, #24, made an appearance and made a couple of nice "heady" plays. Our true freshman star in the making, #23, Jasmine Brooks didn't have the game that she had last night but shows lots of potential. Our blocking, which was so good last night, was off and on tonight. Hurt us a lot.

The amazing Lily Felts, #15 was still doing her thing and #20 Ava Bell, healthy at last, had another good outing in the middle. Danielle Mahaffey, #21 was out of sorts tonight and made several errors. #3, Madison Coulter, did what she usually does and turned in another double double. I think we have several quality players that are young but improving. If we can get away from the inconsistency bug, we might be alright. Time will tell
I like yourself agree with this critique of the team and match. You are right that Jasmine Brooks is on a path to AA all be it a beginning! Highest rated player the program has ever had and will inspire other rated players to follow her. New players and i include Merrick looked good as well. I think Merrick is going to play a lot especially in the spring. And our Lily Felts should get some type of AA talk before it all is said and done!. The new setter is so skilled and as you say heady! Ava Bell is beginning to shine and Rocky is getting better. Truth of the matter is we blew the match and i dont complain about the refs much but they screwed us and the call was clear without replay. I cant see how two official with replay and two on the net can be so blind. Dont use replay and waste time it you will change the call when it is wrong! One more thing about Lily, so much more emotion and leadership than i would have expected. She like i was when playing and coaching: I HATE TO LOSE!!

VN Store

Back