Mickey Deastone

Of course you can't prove a negative and players seldom comment on why they didn't commit. And it's not just about the word "Lady" as some posters making a joke of this are well aware. It's an overall perception that the LVs are a program who lives on past glories and is reluctant to move ahead. As rival recruiters remind prospects all the time.

I wonder if those in favor of keeping 'Lady' also use it to denote gender in any other areas of their lives? Wonder why every other team on the planet has dropped the gender designation? I get the argument that the LVs and the LVs only should keep the gender designation bc of its historical significance. IMO its the only possible rational argument for keeping it.

But it's also, IMO, wrong. Tilting toward that history, and being afraid the history will be lost without every shred intact, in the long run will be quite harmful to the program's future. It's ironic to me that the hardest core fans are the most insecure about the brand and PS's legacy. Remove one smidge of it and they fear the whole thing is gone. I just think she, and the program, are far greater than that.
Didn't think you could find any examples....Your trying to make an issue out if a non-issue.

Didn't think you could find any examples....Your trying to make an issue out if a non-issue.
It's not about me making an issue. It's about rival recruiters making all of it, not just the outdated use of 'Lady', an issue. The perception of the LVs as a program of the past and not the future is a huge issue, just bc of how long its been since we were actually natty relative. Anything the program does to "prove" that point is harmful.

I don’t see very many jumping off the Lady Vol train but that could change in the future. It seems way too early to me but I’ve not seen any negative information that would be a cause of concern. If anything, it’s the opposite.

It seems way too early to me but I’ve not seen any negative information that would be a cause of concern. If anything, it’s the opposite.
This is something I'm sure the LV recruiting operation works on constantly. Balancing honoring the past and staying a relevant, forward looking program is a challenge for them. But I'm sure they do their surveys and homework and will proceed accordingly.

Actually, there's probably no one better qualified to honorably put to rest the old timey, arguably sexist 'Lady' label than KJH. No one could ever accuse her of not being a true blue LV. Not saying she would want to, don't know her opinion on it at all, but she could, for sure.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think you’re overreaching, Darth. I recall hearing Coach Fulmer say that he wanted to keep it in the family. I remember him saying that he wanted “the best available candidate.” Of course, and while stipulating that Kentucky Walz is the undisputed greatest coach EVER, I think we got both. But since you’re essentially calling out Coach Fulmer, or an intimidating booster (or boosters), there must be a reliable reference …in quotes, of course. Unless you’re just misconstruing his public statements.

You may be right. He might have made the statement as you’ve claimed. If so (and I’m certainly skeptical), that would be such an unprofessional, and foolish thing to put on record. He might not be the most-eloquent speaker on earth, but he isn’t the idiot that many would have us believe. Such a statement, in fact, would do disservice to his position, and his character, not to mention to the coach he hired. I will apologize if you can verify this alleged statement. But, for now, I simply don’t believe it.

Lady Vols hire Kellie Harper: Phillip Fulmer says Tennessee ties essential

Fulmer said it “was essential” to hire someone with Lady Vols ties, although he didn’t begin the hiring process with that line of thinking.

“I was a bit in the mindset of, ‘We need to find the best coach. Male, female, Lady Vol, not, just whoever is going to be the best at this moment,’” Fulmer said. “I’m telling you, it became very clear to me as the interview process started that we had our choice in the country of coaches to talk to.”

Fulmer said athletic department administrators Angie Boyd-Keck, Donna Thomas and Tara Brooks told him the importance of hiring someone with a connection to the program.

Reactions: glv98
Meanwhile, 2021 has come and gone, and for whatever reason Kellie managed to go the entire year without a single high school commitment... unheard of in today's recruiting world...

Fulmer said it “was essential” to hire someone with Lady Vols ties, although he didn’t begin the hiring process with that line of thinking.

“I was a bit in the mindset of, ‘We need to find the best coach. Male, female, Lady Vol, not, just whoever is going to be the best at this moment,’” Fulmer said. “I’m telling you, it became very clear to me as the interview process started that we had our choice in the country of coaches to talk to.”

Fulmer said athletic department administrators Angie Boyd-Keck, Donna Thomas and Tara Brooks told him the importance of hiring someone with a connection to the program.

glad it's working out so far ☺️

Meanwhile, 2021 has come and gone, and for whatever reason Kellie managed to go the entire year without a single high school commitment... unheard of in today's recruiting world...

that's true and weird but what is also true is 12-1 with the #7/#9 rankings w/out one of the best players in the country ... just facts not an attack 😊

Well there you go. Thought I remembered this. I'm not sure why anyone would dispute the existence of the never ever change a thing coalition. Or that other schools use the perception of us as old timey against us in recruiting. The only real discussion is how to balance moving the program forward while honoring the tradition.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
that's true and weird but what is also true is 12-1 with the #7/#9 rankings w/out one of the best players in the country ... just facts not an attack 😊
That is true, also true that a scrappy, patch-it-together team can be fun to pull for. But I gotta say, if we were 12-1 with some of the best players in the country I'd feel alot better! I love this team, but do we have to always make it so hard?

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

Jeff, sad as it may be to you, your guy was not good enough. None of the guys that were actually considered were good enough. Get over your indignation. Men don't rule the WBB domain. Every guy that was considered didn't make the cut. Happens all the time. Fulmer had a lot of input. Obviously yours was not considered. I'm not qualified to offer medical advice but if I were, I'd say its not good to turn into a vindictive person just because you didn't get what you wanted.

That is true, also true that a scrappy, patch-it-together team can be fun to pull for. But I gotta say, if we were 12-1 with some of the best players in the country I'd feel alot better! I love this team, but do we have to always make it so hard?

See here is my thinking isn't Tamari key one of the best ? Jordan has shown she still has to improve but is a difference maker. Our freshman were definitely not thought of as big contributors by many on here. Hopefully Rae can come back and help and Sara is proving to be a gem of a pick up and Brooklynn is doing things we didn't expect.

To be honest there is a team up north YES missing it's star player but has a team full of all stars and if the chemistry ain't right it isn't gonna work! So having the best players isn't always the key. Now having 3 games canceled to work on yourself is in the favor and we may see different results 🙄

I get what you are saying i really do but i have a few explanations as to why it's so hard 1. we still mean something and get peoples best shots 2. Rae would have most likely made things easier and covered up some things that need to be addressed. 3. We have seen an increase of difficult teams we have played which might not have been ranked but they are tourney type teams so their have been more battles than previous years

I am glad we are 12-1 and the fact we can say that NOW (after those crappy years) and know that we don't have people fighting or getting dismissed off the team for various reasons I feel better just knowing that.

Again, this isn't dismissing the fact there is only one commit and she went a whole year without one but there are narratives out there being used against TN and some have racial tones... sorry but it's true and it's sucks because we see kellie out there doing a great job with the ones she has. Now it's up to her and her coaches to discredit those rumors and show people TN is about setting a good culture and winning (which she is doing).

That was a lot sorry but why is this even in this thread 😂

See here is my thinking isn't Tamari key one of the best ? Jordan has shown she still has to improve but is a difference maker. Our freshman were definitely not thought of as big contributors by many on here. Hopefully Rae can come back and help and Sara is proving to be a gem of a pick up and Brooklynn is doing things we didn't expect.

To be honest there is a team up north YES missing it's star player but has a team full of all stars and if the chemistry ain't right it isn't gonna work! So having the best players isn't always the key. Now having 3 games canceled to work on yourself is in the favor and we may see different results 🙄

I get what you are saying i really do but i have a few explanations as to why it's so hard 1. we still mean something and get peoples best shots 2. Rae would have most likely made things easier and covered up some things that need to be addressed. 3. We have seen an increase of difficult teams we have played which might not have been ranked but they are tourney type teams so their have been more battles than previous years

I am glad we are 12-1 and the fact we can say that NOW (after those crappy years) and know that we don't have people fighting or getting dismissed off the team for various reasons I feel better just knowing that.

Again, this isn't dismissing the fact there is only one commit and she went a whole year without one but there are narratives out there being used against TN and some have racial tones... sorry but it's true and it's sucks because we see kellie out there doing a great job with the ones she has. Now it's up to her and her coaches to discredit those rumors and show people TN is about setting a good culture and winning (which she is doing).

That was a lot sorry but why is this even in this thread 😂

It's not about me making an issue. It's about rival recruiters making all of it, not just the outdated use of 'Lady', an issue. The perception of the LVs as a program of the past and not the future is a huge issue, just bc of how long its been since we were actually natty relative. Anything the program does to "prove" that point is harmful.
It seems you are the only one that has an issue with it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It seems you are the only one that has an issue with it.

He has a point. Cultures/civilizations survive by adapting. The contention is, when will it be time to move on from the name "Lady Vols." I doubt many believe it is time but time changes all minds.

Reactions: glv98
May recruiting be kinder to Kellie in 2022 than it was in 2021...
Not sure how much more KJH can do to show she can coach than she's done so far this year. Considering all she's done without and all they've been thru, this has been a stellar job so far, COY material for sure. Especially if she can add a win or two against top teams like UConn and/or SC.

If she still can't land elite recruits, then it must be that damn word 'Lady' after all!

Not sure how much more KJH can do to show she can coach than she's done so far this year. Considering all she's done without and all they've been thru, this has been a stellar job so far, COY material for sure. Especially if she can add a win or two against top teams like UConn and/or SC.

If she still can't land elite recruits, then it must be that damn word 'Lady' after all!

Agreed, it really feels like now or never. If she can't land recruits while she has a top 10 program, I'm not sure it's ever going to happen for her. Fourteen months and counting...

Agreed, it really feels like now or never. If she can't land recruits while she has a top 10 program, I'm not sure it's ever going to happen for her. Fourteen months and counting...
If she can't I think its more about the program than her. And definitely means the program needs an image update as hard as that is for some of the old timers to hear.

VN Store

Back