Mickey Deastone

If anything associated with the UT women's basketball team needs to change, it's the Lady Vols name and logo. They should be retired. Seriously. Both the name and the logo are very old and very outdated. I don't know when the Lady Vols logo was first introduced--but I'm sure it goes back to the '80s and has to be close to 40 years old. With its swirly script and baby blue minor color, it's very old-fashioned looking and just not a very strong logo at all. Just the opposite. I think both have been kept because of their association with the Summitt era, but that era has been over for quite some time. You can't hang onto the past forever.

Also, almost nobody refers to their women's athletic teams as "Ladies" anymore. I just checked the Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina and Texas sites---their women's teams are referrred to as Hogs, Wildcats, Gamecocks, and Longhorns--none use the term Lady. Does anybody? Also, I think Tennessee is the only university in America that has separate logos for it's mens and women's team. The time is right to consolidate. The Power T is a very simple and powerful logo--one that connotes strength. It should be used by all our athletic teams--men and women. Maybe the Lady Vols name and logo will just fade away: While on the other SEC women's basketball sites, I noticed they all had the Power T logo beside Tennessee when listed on their schedules. The Lady Vol name and logo certainly served our women's basketball program well for a long time--but it's time to recognize that both are relics of a bygone era in women's athletics and really should be retired.
I like it makes us unique who likes fitting in when you can stand out๐Ÿ˜Ž

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Let' pursue this: You say that the power T goes against everything that Summitt (note the proper spelling) worked for. First, that's kind of a silly comment, since the Power T is merely the school's main athletic logo and doesn't "go against" anything. Moreover, what did Summitt work for? More equality for women and female athletes and athletics? That's what I'd say. So why would you want to call them "ladies"--an antiquated term that dates back to an era when women certainly were not on equal footing with men in any way? All Tennessee student-athletes represent...get this...The University of Tennessee. That's why every school in American but UT has a single logo--and I don't think there is another women's program in America that still uses the term "lady" before the school nickname. Many used to--none but the Vols do now. In any case, I get that there are a lot of UT women's BB fans who are attached to the old name and logo, because of its association with Summitt, but you can't hang onto the past forever, and we don't need to hang onto a weak-looking 40-50-year-old logo to remember Summitt. There are plenty of other ways to do that---starting with a statue in front of the building. I'd argue that trying to hang onto the past has not been good for the program. We did that with the Warlick hire--disastrous--and then Fulmer did the same thing with the next hire, another former.. Lady Vol. We'll see how that works out. It's been nearly 23 years since we last won a national championship. Think about that. It's rather shocking to realize that it's been that long. Sobering. We can, as they say, agree to disagree.
23 years since our last championship yall that means Candace Parker is 41 years old and still taking the girls to work in the WNBA ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Like who wants to go to South Carolina and be a gamecock their logo is literally a chicken and yet Dawn racks in #1 class after #1 classes

It's not what I say, it's what they say and what they say Pat said. We may have lucked out this time, but "xenophobia" still doesn't seem like a good hiring strategy for moving forward successfully.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity. I'm guessing the strength and influence of this cabal of blue haired, pro-Pat, anti-everyone and everything non-Pat, dictator of hires and fires, is greatly exagerrated. The fact that Kellie was hired does not necessarily represent a conspiracy against change.

Like who wants to go to South Carolina and be a gamecock their logo is literally a chicken and yet Dawn racks in #1 class after #1 classes

Yeah, this. I mean, I've been trying to figure out how people could "use the Lady Vol logo against us with recruits" (how would that conversation go???) while the South Carolina mascot is...a rooster. Great image for the women's team.

(And that's not even touching any vulgar allusions from the more jaded fans/coaches).

And how about those South Florida Bulls?

Last edited:
It's not what I say, it's what they say and what they say Pat said. We may have lucked out this time, but "xenophobia" still doesn't seem like a good hiring strategy for moving forward successfully.

Which is exactly why, despite what many think, I don't have a strong desire to see Kellie fired just to go through another sham coaching "search"...

Which is exactly why, despite what many think, I don't have a strong desire to see Kellie fired just to go through another sham coaching "search"...

Yep: Fulmer's supposed search seemed rather lame. As I recall, he only interviewed one (maybe two) potential candidate who weren't named Harper or Lawson. He seemed to focus on the two former UT players from the start--even though Lawson had zero coaching experience. I actually wrote an associate AD at UT /twice/ and recommended strongly that they consider Courtney Banghart, who was highly successful at Princeton and just checks all the boxes of what qualities an outstanding coach should have--but as far as I know she was not considered and UNC hired her around the time we hired Harper. I hope Harper takes us back to the top--she's a lot more experienced than Warlick, who had no head experience--but she's got to take our recruiting up a notch or two. It will be very interesting to see how Harper, Banghart and Lawson do over the next, say, five years.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
What woman doesn't like being called a Lady?

Yes, but not in the context of an athletic team. In that sense it's outdated. A lot of programs used to use the Lady prefix, but most if not all but us seem to have dropped it--or at least I can't find or think of any that use it still. Yes, that doesn't mean we have to as well--but it is certainly something to think about. And the LV logo is very outdated. It's dainty--and that's not an image that you want with any sports team. Go to the Swimming home page on the UTSports.com website and look at the photo of our pool, with the Power T and LV pennant logos strung across the water. One stands out; the other is barely visible it's so light and soft. I think it should be retired--but at the very least it should be redesigned and modernized. We used to be a brand name in women's basketball--but we're not anymore. Some fans still think we are, but they perhaps don't realize how long it's been since we were a real contender. Certainly, names and logos mean little in the grand scheme of things: The only thing that maintains a great tradition is winning and being in the championship picture regularly--and that's mostly about having the right coach. The Summitt legacy and the 8 titles ARE a major asset--but assets lose value when you go through long periods of mediocrity. Top prospects tend to focus on what your program has accomplished lately. It's really time to establish a new era of winning while still paying due respect to the Summitt tradition.

Yes, but not in the context of an athletic team. In that sense it's outdated. A lot of programs used to use the Lady prefix, but most if not all but us seem to have dropped it--or at least I can't find or think of any that use it still. Yes, that doesn't mean we have to as well--but it is certainly something to think about. And the LV logo is very outdated. It's dainty--and that's not an image that you want with any sports team. Go to the Swimming home page on the UTSports.com website and look at the photo of our pool, with the Power T and LV pennant logos strung across the water. One stands out; the other is barely visible it's so light and soft. I think it should be retired--but at the very least it should be redesigned and modernized. We used to be a brand name in women's basketball--but we're not anymore. Some fans still think we are, but they perhaps don't realize how long it's been since we were a real contender. Certainly, names and logos mean little in the grand scheme of things: The only thing that maintains a great tradition is winning and being in the championship picture regularly--and that's mostly about having the right coach. The Summitt legacy and the 8 titles ARE a major asset--but assets lose value when you go through long periods of mediocrity. Top prospects tend to focus on what your program has accomplished lately. It's really time to establish a new era of winning while still paying due respect to the Summitt tradition.
So if names and logos mean little as you say,what's the point in changing it???

Yep: Fulmer's supposed search seemed rather lame. As I recall, he only interviewed one (maybe two) potential candidate who weren't named Harper or Lawson. He seemed to focus on the two former UT players from the start--even though Lawson had zero coaching experience. I actually wrote an associate AD at UT /twice/ and recommended strongly that they consider Courtney Banghart, who was highly successful at Princeton and just checks all the boxes of what qualities an outstanding coach should have--but as far as I know she was not considered and UNC hired her around the time we hired Harper. I hope Harper takes us back to the top--she's a lot more experienced than Warlick, who had no head experience--but she's got to take our recruiting up a notch or two. It will be very interesting to see how Harper, Banghart and Lawson do over the next, say, five years.

Fulmer is on record saying he initially planned to look for the best available candidate, but was told in no uncertain terms he needed to keep the hire "in the family"...

If anything associated with the UT women's basketball team needs to change, it's the Lady Vols name and logo. They should be retired. Seriously. Both the name and the logo are very old and very outdated. I don't know when the Lady Vols logo was first introduced--but I'm sure it goes back to the '80s and has to be close to 40 years old. With its swirly script and baby blue minor color, it's very old-fashioned looking and just not a very strong logo at all. Just the opposite. I think both have been kept because of their association with the Summitt era, but that era has been over for quite some time. You can't hang onto the past forever.

Also, almost nobody refers to their women's athletic teams as "Ladies" anymore. I just checked the Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina and Texas sites---their women's teams are referrred to as Hogs, Wildcats, Gamecocks, and Longhorns--none use the term Lady. Does anybody? Also, I think Tennessee is the only university in America that has separate logos for it's mens and women's team. The time is right to consolidate. The Power T is a very simple and powerful logo--one that connotes strength. It should be used by all our athletic teams--men and women. Maybe the Lady Vols name and logo will just fade away: While on the other SEC women's basketball sites, I noticed they all had the Power T logo beside Tennessee when listed on their schedules. The Lady Vol name and logo certainly served our women's basketball program well for a long time--but it's time to recognize that both are relics of a bygone era in women's athletics and really should be retired.
The logo battle has already been settled, and it is back where it belongs symbolizing womenโ€™s athletics at the University of Tennessee! The Lady Volsโ€™ logo is one of the most recognizable logos, not just in our country, but around the world! The branding also provides an additional revenue stream for the University.
Iโ€™ll ask you three questions, and if the answer to two of them isnโ€™t yes (and the last two matter more than the first one) then your opinion about the logo doesnโ€™t matter!
1. Did you graduate from UT?
2. Do you purchase Lady Vol basketball season tickets?
3. Do you donate at least $10,000 per year to Lady Vol athletics?
Maybe you are what needs retiring!!

Fulmer is on record saying he initially planned to look for the best available candidate, but was told in no uncertain terms he needed to keep the hire "in the family"...

I think youโ€™re overreaching, Darth. I recall hearing Coach Fulmer say that he wanted to keep it in the family. I remember him saying that he wanted โ€œthe best available candidate.โ€ Of course, and while stipulating that Kentucky Walz is the undisputed greatest coach EVER, I think we got both. But since youโ€™re essentially calling out Coach Fulmer, or an intimidating booster (or boosters), there must be a reliable reference โ€ฆin quotes, of course. Unless youโ€™re just misconstruing his public statements.

You may be right. He might have made the statement as youโ€™ve claimed. If so (and Iโ€™m certainly skeptical), that would be such an unprofessional, and foolish thing to put on record. He might not be the most-eloquent speaker on earth, but he isnโ€™t the idiot that many would have us believe. Such a statement, in fact, would do disservice to his position, and his character, not to mention to the coach he hired. I will apologize if you can verify this alleged statement. But, for now, I simply donโ€™t believe it.

Can you prove your allegation or is just more of you? Youโ€™re still chapped all these years later that a man was not selected for the LV coaching position. Pathetic. I got news for you Jeff, a man wonโ€™t be selected next time either. You need to deal with it.

What woman doesn't like being called a Lady?
Probably most young people don't relate to the "lady" terminology, as well as some feminists. i am not arguing for us to change it given our history and brand name, but I do think over time we need to evaluate the pros and cons of keeping it if it is off-putting for today's youth.

Reactions: glv98
Can you prove your allegation or is just more of you? Youโ€™re still chapped all these years later that a man was not selected for the LV coaching position. Pathetic. I got news for you Jeff, a man wonโ€™t be selected next time either. You need to deal with it.
Can you prove that a man won't be selected next time? BC that would change the way I view the program and the hopes I have for a sustained return to glory. If the LVs are never going to be allowed to simply choose the best available coaching candidate we are past, not future.

I'm not sure and would have to dig thru all Fulmer's quotes at the time, but I believe in introducing KJH he did say it was always going to be within the PS coaching family. That may have been just PR spin, trying to pump up the selection. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some initial inquiries to big names but either no one available wanted the job or the budget wouldn't allow.

Not a dig at all at KJH, I think she's done a great job with what she's had to work with. Has totally turned the culture around and this current team certainly solidifies that. But for the future health of the program, it has to find a balance between honoring the past and moving on into the future. And always looking for the very best coach we can find.

Probably most young people don't relate to the "lady" terminology, as well as some feminists. i am not arguing for us to change it given our history and brand name, but I do think over time we need to evaluate the pros and cons of keeping it if it is off-putting for today's youth.
Do you have an example of a young lady not committing to the Lady Vols because of being called a Lady???

Reactions: krichunaka
I have it on good authority that multiple Top Ten recruits rejected Alabama because Nick Saban addressed a female-appearing person as "Young lady" in a Geico commercial.

Do you have an example of a young lady not committing to the Lady Vols because of being called a Lady???
Of course you can't prove a negative and players seldom comment on why they didn't commit. And it's not just about the word "Lady" as some posters making a joke of this are well aware. It's an overall perception that the LVs are a program who lives on past glories and is reluctant to move ahead. As rival recruiters remind prospects all the time.

I wonder if those in favor of keeping 'Lady' also use it to denote gender in any other areas of their lives? Wonder why every other team on the planet has dropped the gender designation? I get the argument that the LVs and the LVs only should keep the gender designation bc of its historical significance. IMO its the only possible rational argument for keeping it.

IMO it's also wrong. Tenaciously hanging onto every shred of the history, and being afraid the history will be lost without all of it remaining active, in the long run will be quite harmful to the program's future. It's ironic to me that the hardest core fans are the most insecure about the brand and PS's legacy. I just think she, and the program, are far greater than that.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back