Mickey Deastone

Mickey is decent and really does seem to care about LV basketball. I thought he struggled when in was on the morning show on 99.1 when the topics were broader and it required him to quickly think on his feet. Most people don't do that well, so no judgment here.

Reactions: T_Vol376
I love listening to Mickey. Hope he keeps working a long time.

Listened in for the first time in years about 2018. After 15-20 minutes I forced myself to vow to never turn on another LVBB game again and have too listen to that. I haven't. Brutal.

Sorry to be on the - side.

He whines about nearly every foul called against the LVs. I guess that would give him posting privileges here. :cool:

Reactions: vol05
Who's the guy that always hollers out loudly "it's 3rd down" at the home football games?
Anybody know that guy for sure?
Jeff Jarnagin. Before Bobby Denton passed away, Jarnagin was the announcer for the P.O.T.S. Band & did a good job; now, however, his lame carney-barker style is a cheap copy of the Kentucky field announcer & makes me vomit in my mouth.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'd love to hear John Wilkerson as the voice of the Vols or Lady Vols. Both Bob and Mickey need to hang it up.
It’s a shame that John is not the voice of the Vols. They got it wrong by letting Mike Keith leave for the Titans. Sadly it’ll never happen because of his age although not old just not young enough.

Listened in for the first time in years about 2018. After 15-20 minutes I forced myself to vow to never turn on another LVBB game again and have too listen to that. I haven't. Brutal.

Sorry to be on the - side.

On a good note, he does at least call the game...I get so bent out of shape when subs are made or someone scores and the announcers are talking about a camping trip or what happened on the way to their grocery store

Ur post is both painful and idiotic. The guy is 10 times rhe announcer ole Blob could ever hope to be. I’d rather listen to somebody who knows what the hell is going on whether it be the field or the court than somebody who can’t keep pace with well, really anything ANY DAY.

Mickey is that you? He's terrible. I've had monotone teachers all through high school and college but I had to listen to then but we are stuck with a man with wants me to eat paint chips. Nice attack when someone doesn't agree with you. Real mature!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey is that you? He's terrible. I've had monotone teachers all through high school and college but I had to listen to then but we are stuck with a man with wants me to eat paint chips. Nice attack when someone doesn't agree with you. Real mature!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE
Whatever u say “Nut”. U sound as if u may actually like paint chips. Carry on mature “Nut” guy

I prefer them to listening to Mickey and yes vol05............ The nut has to do with me posting on this board and responding to people like you!

Over the years I have rarely had to rely on radio-broadcast-only for a game. But for the few times I have listened to Dearstone, my thoughts were that he lacked charisma, but at least I knew what was happening on the floor. He's an old-fashioned play-by-play man, and I prefer that to useless chatter.

The young lady with the mic appears to be eyeing the young lady with the head phones.

I've heard better than Mickey, and I've heard worse. He has sort of a folksy drawl...wouldn't characterize it as a monotone...and can get a bit corny with his attempts at humor. Yes, he does complain about some fouls, but he also often gives an honest view when the other team gets jobbed. Last night there was one time when he didn't acknowledge whosesale substutions which got a little confusing, but he's generally easy to follow and conveys a clear picture of what's happening.

We'd probably have the same complaints if we swapped announcers with any other SEC team. At least we're not listening to adenoidenal screams of "Yeah, Babeee!" or shameless self-promotion or know-it-all coaching advice that we hear from some of the major network announcers.

Announcers, except for the truly incompetent, tend to be largely a matter of personal taste. I loved listening to Mike "Doc" Emrick call hockey games, but some people hated what they found to be overly-descriptive play-by-play and poetic rhapsodizing.

Overall, I like and appreciate Mickey.

I know he has been broadcasting for 22 years but every time I listen to him it's painful. I'm sure he's a very fine person but he's so monotone and rather boring to listen to. Hope it's not just me but I'd take Bob Kesling over Mickey ANY DAY~.

Blob is horrible.

Mickey was good back in the day.

Kesling, BTW, used to call games on the radio for the LVs when John Ward was still doing football and men's basketball. When he retired, Kesling moved over and took his place.

If anything associated with the UT women's basketball team needs to change, it's the Lady Vols name and logo. They should be retired. Seriously. Both the name and the logo are very old and very outdated. I don't know when the Lady Vols logo was first introduced--but I'm sure it goes back to the '80s and has to be close to 40 years old. With its swirly script and baby blue minor color, it's very old-fashioned looking and just not a very strong logo at all. Just the opposite. I think both have been kept because of their association with the Summitt era, but that era has been over for quite some time. You can't hang onto the past forever.

Also, almost nobody refers to their women's athletic teams as "Ladies" anymore. I just checked the Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina and Texas sites---their women's teams are referrred to as Hogs, Wildcats, Gamecocks, and Longhorns--none use the term Lady. Does anybody? Also, I think Tennessee is the only university in America that has separate logos for it's mens and women's team. The time is right to consolidate. The Power T is a very simple and powerful logo--one that connotes strength. It should be used by all our athletic teams--men and women. Maybe the Lady Vols name and logo will just fade away: While on the other SEC women's basketball sites, I noticed they all had the Power T logo beside Tennessee when listed on their schedules. The Lady Vol name and logo certainly served our women's basketball program well for a long time--but it's time to recognize that both are relics of a bygone era in women's athletics and really should be retired.

VN Store

Back