Mickey Dearstone

UTNoFear

Bob Kesling takes a ton of crap from many UT fans but this man was doomed from the beginning following John Ward. To me being outside the state, Bob does a great job, Emotions, and you can feel his passion for UT, Mickey on the other hand is a dead nail. No emotion. mono tone robot. I'd rather watch paint dry then listen to him. I'm sorry but this man should seek employment elsewhere. Calling a UT Lady's game should be something exciting whether they are playing great or losing. This man has NO EMOTION. I'd love to start a petition to get him replaced. I'm serious, watching paint dry is better than listening to this mono tone man. JMTCW (Just My Two Cents Worth)

Bob was doomed from the start? A doomed man does not make a great living for 20 years if he was doomed. If you are referring to public opinion, perhaps, but he is lousy at football. BB is much better for him, but he is hardly worth the airtime at football. No time remaining, no down and distance, incorrect possession calls, just awful. JMO

Bob Kesling takes a ton of crap from many UT fans but this man was doomed from the beginning following John Ward. To me being outside the state, Bob does a great job, Emotions, and you can feel his passion for UT, Mickey on the other hand is a dead nail. No emotion. mono tone robot. I'd rather watch paint dry then listen to him. I'm sorry but this man should seek employment elsewhere. Calling a UT Lady's game should be something exciting whether they are playing great or losing. This man has NO EMOTION. I'd love to start a petition to get him replaced. I'm serious, watching paint dry is better than listening to this mono tone man. JMTCW (Just My Two Cents Worth)

They are both bad.
Listen to more college and high school play by play guys.
Knoxville’s own John Wilkerson who does high school games and UT baseball is MUCH better than either one. But, they are entrenched.

Reactions: VolDave53
"Doc" has been a joke for so long in everything radio. When he hosted the morning show with Heather, it was worse than it is now.. she's another one that needs to go somewhere, imo.

Bob was doomed from the start? A doomed man does not make a great living for 20 years if he was doomed. If you are referring to public opinion, perhaps, but he is lousy at football. BB is much better for him, but he is hardly worth the airtime at football. No time remaining, no down and distance, incorrect possession calls, just awful. JMO
And that's just in basketball

They are both bad.
Listen to more college and high school play by play guys.
Knoxville’s own John Wilkerson who does high school games and UT baseball is MUCH better than either one. But, they are entrenched.

Why couldn’t we get a snappy announcer and a color commentator too!? He is boring as can be but I have to give him credit for doing it all alone . That’s got to be hard.
But if there were 2 people w good personalities ??! Like Burt bertlekamp??that would be MONEYYYY......!!

The only problem I have with Mickey Dearstone he never ask Holly any tough questions, he gives her the answer instead of a good question. What are you going to do about all the turnovers. How are you going to get them to play with more energy.

Reactions: lvocd
The only problem I have with Mickey Dearstone he never ask Holly any tough questions, he gives her the answer instead of a good question. What are you going to do about all the turnovers. How are you going to get them to play with more energy.

I, too, wish Dearstone would ask the tough questions. For the love of God, SOMEone needs to! But the reality is that Dearstone, who needs his job to pay his bills like the rest of us, has likely been directed to avoid asking questions that may have controversial answers.

So, cut MD some slack. My gut tells me that if he were completely free to ask and/or say anything he wanted to without having to edit, that he’d be a hero.

"Doc" has been a joke for so long in everything radio. When he hosted the morning show with Heather, it was worse than it is now.. she's another one that needs to go somewhere, imo.

absolutely fer shur

I think the problem most people have with Bob is all the mistakes he makes. Yes, he's human, humans make mistakes. But, Bob chronically mispronounces names, mistakes UTs opponents for other teams, gives misinformation, doesn't update score and time remaining very often (so listeners have no idea what is going on) and gets confuses often. No one is critical of his love for UT. He is all Vol. But, so am I and I know I would suck much worse.....

Mickey, on the other hand, is opposite of Bob. He has zero to little emotion. Very monotone like. But, Mickey does a nice job of giving us the facts. Who UT is playing, who has the ball, gives us the score frequently, let's us know of time of clock frequently. Mickey is more in tune with what is actual and factual within each game rather than distracted by all the other nonsense....

Just some insight....

I think the problem most people have with Bob is all the mistakes he makes. Yes, he's human, humans make mistakes. But, Bob chronically mispronounces names, mistakes UTs opponents for other teams, gives misinformation, doesn't update score and time remaining very often (so listeners have no idea what is going on) and gets confuses often. No one is critical of his love for UT. He is all Vol. But, so am I and I know I would suck much worse.....

Mickey, on the other hand, is opposite of Bob. He has zero to little emotion. Very monotone like. But, Mickey does a nice job of giving us the facts. Who UT is playing, who has the ball, gives us the score frequently, let's us know of time of clock frequently. Mickey is more in tune with what is actual and factual within each game rather than distracted by all the other nonsense....

Just some insight....
Anyone who had to announce Lady Vol games over the last decade would sound bored. There is nothing to get excited about any more. Go to the games and you can see it in lack of attendance. Heck even the half time intertainment has gone to heck. Doubt the people in charge care.

I, too, wish Dearstone would ask the tough questions. For the love of God, SOMEone needs to! But the reality is that Dearstone, who needs his job to pay his bills like the rest of us, has likely been directed to avoid asking questions that may have controversial answers.

So, cut MD some slack. My gut tells me that if he were completely free to ask and/or say anything he wanted to without having to edit, that he’d be a hero.

This is true....have they not heard the football questions after the games?

OP, I 100% agree with this. Well, I don't know @ petition. But, yes, Blob is actually acceptable and is thankfully not a screamer like some. Could be much worse.

Dearstone OTOH ... I actually began to start listening to the UTLV games on radio a few years back. After 30 minutes of that guy, I completely tapped out. No way! It was horrible in more ways than 1. I'll just wait for the score to pop up on my watch if I can't see it.

Speaking as someone who used to listen to Bob Kesling and Mickey Dearstone both (mainly 2000-2010 or so), I just don't think there's a lot of positive comments for Mickey to say and that probably hampers however he sounds today. Dearstone used to get pretty animated from what I remember, and he wasn't a poet but he made sure to keep you informed about the game's important variables (time, possession, rotation, so on). Pretty even a lot of the time but dependable and would keep you in the loop. I can't imagine what kind of verbal gymnastics he's had to perform to try and "explain" the offensive and defensive strategies used by Tennessee this past decade. And I imagine he is _just_ as frustrated even as a radio personality; how many times can someone watch a team chuck the ball up at the backboard with no idea of where it'll go before they toss their headset?

Mickey is not great by any stretch but Kesling is just plain horrible. I've heard every Vol network announcer and Kesling can't hold a candle to any of them and shouldn't be in the seat any of them held. his hire to do Vol radio was just another horrendously bad hire by UT, right up there with Houston, Peterson, Tyndall, Holly, Dooley, Cheeks, Currie and Hamilton

Reactions: Manning Up
Mickey is not great by any stretch but Kesling is just plain horrible. I've heard every Vol network announcer and Kesling can't hold a candle to any of them and shouldn't be in the seat any of them held. his hire to do Vol radio was just another horrendously bad hire by UT, right up there with Houston, Peterson, Tyndall, Holly, Dooley, Cheeks, Currie and Hamilton
Bob "Check That" Kissling is awful. He spent years ingratiating himself to the good old boy network that has left its stink on too many hires at UT.

Reactions: Slydell
Bob is quite good at basketball but football is unbearable. I love Bert and Tim, but Mickey is not good.

VN Store

Back