Michael Schwartz’ Friday Press Conference

A few things that stick out.

1. Against Arkansas, he seems to indicate that defense was more to blame than offense, which I have been suggesting, too, trying to talk down the idea that we were poor offensively.

2. He also noted something else I've noticed, and that is Jaden Springer having an advance idea of shot selection and what is a good shot. I have long thought this is part of what currently separates Springer and Keon Johnson.

3. He talks about what a great teammate JJJ is, and I think that is evident. He is probably selfish to a fault, at times, and games like what we saw Saturday can be the norm if he takes more of scorer's mentality into each game.
Could tell defensively we’re weren’t as sharp in that game. Interesting about shot selection. I don’t recall either of them standing out to me as having taken bad shots. If anything, Jaden takes some un-assisted contested shots in the paint which at first seem forced but he makes them. It’s been obvious since last year that JJJ is unselfish almost to a fault. Needs to find the right balance.

You guys are looking for something that isn’t there...I’ve said it multiple times, Barnes wants him in much better shape, and he wants him to be much better defensively. Both of these things also go beyond simply improving on the surface, but also a “complete buy in” daily from him. Could he have appeared in a couple of blow outs, sure, but the staff feels like long term he’s going to be a more complete player overall by sitting out.
I always thought the garbage minutes were a reward to a player who worked hard in practice but wasn’t talented/gifted enough to earn regular minutes. If Walker is working to improve his D and get in better condition, how does being glued to the bench help him be more complete? Seems like it would be more likely to break his spirit and push him toward the portal. JMO as I know nothing of this particular situation

I agree with all this, assuming you meant “unselfish to a fault” in your third point. And regarding your first point, we actually gave up more points to Arkansas than we did Bama, so yeah the D definitely needs tightening
Good catch. Yes, unselfish.

Reactions: Vol49er
Could tell defensively we’re weren’t as sharp in that game. Interesting about shot selection. I don’t recall either of them standing out to me as having taken bad shots. If anything, Jaden takes some un-assisted contested shots in the paint which at first seem forced but he makes them. It’s been obvious since last year that JJJ is unselfish almost to a fault. Needs to find the right balance.
I think Keon is prone to force some shots. It's almost as if once he makes his mind up that he is going to score, he does whatever necessary to get the shot off. And right now, I'd say any shot from 3 is ill-advised for him. Springer just seems like a much more mature, more natural offensive player and even his contested shots, like you mentioned, seem to go in more often than not. Schwartz mentioned how he knows when to go to the basket and when to slow up and shoot the little stop jumper. He is also strong enough to absorb contact.

I think Keon is prone to force some shots. It's almost as if once he makes his mind up that he is going to score, he does whatever necessary to get the shot off. And right now, I'd say any shot from 3 is ill-advised for him. Springer just seems like a much more mature, more natural offensive player and even his contested shots, like you mentioned, seem to go in more often than not. Schwartz mentioned how he knows when to go to the basket and when to slow up and shoot the little stop jumper. He is also strong enough to absorb contact.
Keon is high on draft boards obviously for his athleticism and I’m sure nba teams love his quickness on defense. But Keon looks to me to be a smarter and more well rounded player.

If Springer has a hot night from 3 soon, one of the asst coaches of the next opponent is going to be up late working on Springer's scouting report.

Reactions: The Dog
Springer is the truth ! That's great, but what's better is Keon will be the truth, next year. What's even better ? It's starting to click with JJJ, that Barnes development. The cream rises to the top and that's what is happening with our 5 stars and we got another one coming, next year

VN Store

Back