Michael Schwartz’ Friday Press Conference

Wasn’t Walker a 5* at one point before settling in as a very high 4*? If you don’t find it unusual, odd, perplexing that even in our blowout wins where the coach cleared the bench even playing walk on’s yet Walker hasn’t logged a single minute in a season where no one is red shirting then you know something you’re not sharing

Wasn’t Walker a 5* at one point before settling in as a very high 4*? If you don’t find it unusual, odd, perplexing that even in our blowout wins where the coach cleared the bench even playing walk on’s yet Walker hasn’t logged a single minute in a season where no one is red shirting then you know something you’re not sharing
Yes he was a 5*, I’ve shared my thought, the above was just to show that he is indeed clear to play.

Very odd. Then Hyams comes back with the "is he eligible to play" question, and he only replies "yes." Something is amiss which the coaches aren't willing to discuss.
Agreed, and if it was poor conditioning as I recall BTO alluded, then he’s had plenty of time to get into shape

Reactions: cardvolfan
Agreed, and if it was poor conditioning as I recall BTO alluded, then he’s had plenty of time to get into shape
They weren't able to practice for a very long time due to "The Pandemic". I guess he wasn't self motivated enough during that time to put in the time to rehab the lower leg injury and get into playing shape. He may just now have done enough to be allowed to get on the floor. CRB is VERY strict about earning playing time. How many other coaches put two 5*s on the bench as second layer rotations?

More than meets the eye. I think I know what it means, but I don't want to be specific.

You guys are looking for something that isn’t there...I’ve said it multiple times, Barnes wants him in much better shape, and he wants him to be much better defensively. Both of these things also go beyond simply improving on the surface, but also a “complete buy in” daily from him. Could he have appeared in a couple of blow outs, sure, but the staff feels like long term he’s going to be a more complete player overall by sitting out.

You guys are looking for something that isn’t there...I’ve said it multiple times, Barnes wants him in much better shape, and he wants him to be much better defensively. Both of these things also go beyond simply improving on the surface, but also a “complete buy in” daily from him. Could he have appeared in a couple of blow outs, sure, but the staff feels like long term he’s going to be a more complete player overall by sitting out.
You are wrong in that I’m looking for something that isn’t there. Did I say anything specificaLoy? I most certainly did not. Whatever Rick’s reasons are, I respect. I have no idea what the reasons are, but Rick knows best. If I suspect or have a reason, I will post it.

You are wrong in that I’m looking for something that isn’t there. Did I say anything specificaLoy? I most certainly did not. Whatever Rick’s reasons are, I respect. I have no idea what the reasons are, but Rick knows best. If I suspect or have a reason, I will post it.

so what did you mean by this...you say above if you have or even suspect a reason you’ll post it, then below say I think I know what it means but don’t want to be specific?

More than meets the eye. I think I know what it means, but I don't want to be specific.

A few things that stick out.

1. Against Arkansas, he seems to indicate that defense was more to blame than offense, which I have been suggesting, too, trying to talk down the idea that we were poor offensively.

2. He also noted something else I've noticed, and that is Jaden Springer having an advance idea of shot selection and what is a good shot. I have long thought this is part of what currently separates Springer and Keon Johnson.

3. He talks about what a great teammate JJJ is, and I think that is evident. He is probably unselfish to a fault, at times, and games like what we saw Saturday can be the norm if he takes more of scorer's mentality into each game.

Last edited:
A few things that stick out.

1. Against Arkansas, he seems to indicate that defense was more to blame than offense, which I have been suggesting, too, trying to talk down the idea that we were poor offensively.

2. He also noted something else I've noticed, and that is Jaden Springer having an advance idea of shot selection and what is a good shot. I have long thought this is part of what currently separates Springer and Keon Johnson.

3. He talks about what a great teammate JJJ is, and I think that is evident. He is probably selfish to a fault, at times, and games like what we saw Saturday can be the norm if he takes more of scorer's mentality into each game.
I agree with all this, assuming you meant “unselfish to a fault” in your third point. And regarding your first point, we actually gave up more points to Arkansas than we did Bama, so yeah the D definitely needs tightening

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back