Michael Palardy out for Panthers

Dang it... wonder if it's harder for a punter to come back from an ACL injury because of the higher amount of stress placed on the knee?

FWIW - he was one of the good highlights of that Dooley era.

Dang it... wonder if it's harder for a punter to come back from an ACL injury because of the higher amount of stress placed on the knee?

I'm a PT and dealt with many ACL's in the past. Though I specialize in spine care now, I would imagine that it wouldn't be that difficult. I don't know which leg was injured, but I would suspect he would have more difficulty rehabbing the plant/landing leg versus the kicking leg. ACL injuries don't (typically) occur in an open-chain injury. So that would lead me to think that after the punt occurs and he lands back on the single leg (again, if that's the injured one), then the closed-chain forces through the ankle and knee upon landing with rotation at the knee would absolutely put him at higher risk for reinjury if not rehabbed correctly. I don't think though that he would have any more difficulty than any other athlete, because he's also a much more physically protected player during live plays.

He actually wasn't "good" until 2013 when he had a very good season.

Reactions: IndianaVol
I'm a PT and dealt with many ACL's in the past. Though I specialize in spine care now, I would imagine that it wouldn't be that difficult. I don't know which leg was injured, but I would suspect he would have more difficulty rehabbing the plant/landing leg versus the kicking leg. ACL injuries don't (typically) occur in an open-chain injury. So that would lead me to think that after the punt occurs and he lands back on the single leg (again, if that's the injured one), then the closed-chain forces through the ankle and knee upon landing with rotation at the knee would absolutely put him at higher risk for reinjury if not rehabbed correctly. I don't think though that he would have any more difficulty than any other athlete, because he's also a much more physically protected player during live plays.

Friend, this is a better, more well thought out response than many on this board would even be capable of, thank you for an intelligent, well considered and best of all mature response. Cheers.

He actually wasn't "good" until 2013 when he had a very good season.
Yeah, one of the few guys that showed some development under the Dooley regime (I don't recall much turnover in the special teams coaching though...wonder if that had anything to do with it?).

VN Store

Back