Met a Vol fan from France today...

It always amuses me the wrongheaded stereotypes people have of the French these days. Not only would US WWII soldiers kick our rear despite the Vichy Government the French Maquis fought the NAZIs every step of the way and were one of the major reasons our invasion worked. We would've also LOST the War of Independence without them. The French have always been and are to this day very much like Americans -- nationalists to the core who have every bit the balls and bravado we have.

That said, some Parisians are notorious contrarians that take pride in pissing off or being rude to foreigners though it's more like any major city enjoying it's rep for rudeness than anything else. They drop the act if you get to know them. The rest of the country is very, very, different.

I've been wanting to travel to France for a long while---what places outside of Paris would you suggest to visit?

I'll have to wear my Vols gear and spread the Gospel of American football.

I left my expensive badazz Tennessee SnapBack at a club in Germany. So we have a random supporter in Gießen.

Thats pretty cool a fan all the way from france. I worked for Toyota for yrs and I made a few japanese friends by the time it was all said and done I had them saying go Vols and almost singing all the versus of Rocky Top. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
I've been wanting to travel to France for a long while---what places outside of Paris would you suggest to visit?

I'll have to wear my Vols gear and spread the Gospel of American football.

Entire Normandy region is outstanding...should definitely see Mont St Micheal. They seemed more friendly there towards Americans then other parts which were at times down right hostile in Paris.

Anyways, I'm in the French club at ETSU and I was talking to a graduate student from France...

Go Vols.

I think I met the same guy once. He said he did his undergrad work at Austin Peay. But the French call it Austin Oui Oui.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
A little off topic, my wife and our son recently moved to Abu Dhabi and I've ran into three UT fans and another Florida fan. I wear UT gear (at least a hat) everywhere I go and it's nice having someone stop you to talk football or hear the random "Go Vols!" when your not even on the same side of the world.

Reactions: 2 people
My dad was wounded in battle near St. Lo in WWII not long after his unit landed at Utah Beach on D-Day. I've always wanted to go there and see what that region is like now.

The French are okay have had good friends from there, some of the hottest women I have known in real life were from there too, they could dress conservative and still be just smoking hawt even in a turtleneck. I just don't like Parisians....visited and they lived up to their jerk stereotypes pretty well.....then again 80% of the French population is Parisian I think...:p But everyone outside of Paris was kewl!

You made me wonder about the Parisian angle. Cause most of the French (not many) I've met were snobs, self-important snots, haughty, and had a slight but detectable body odor. In general, I just don't like them. But maybe it was just my misfortune to encounter Parisians in each experience. I always give folks the benefit of doubt.

A little off topic, my wife and our son recently moved to Abu Dhabi and I've ran into three UT fans and another Florida fan. I wear UT gear (at least a hat) everywhere I go and it's nice having someone stop you to talk football or hear the random "Go Vols!" when your not even on the same side of the world.

I lived in the UAE in 2010 and was surprised at how many Vols fan I met. First time I went into a store there I saw Tennessee gear. It was pretty cool.

Low and behold, I am not a doctor, as many of you like to think and comment on. My initials are D and R and that's why my user name is the way it is. However, the "doc" nickname can stick because that's cool.

Anyways, I'm in the French club at ETSU and I was talking to a graduate student from France today about various things including sports. He said that last year he went to two different Tennessee games, a small game and the Alabama game. He commented on the size of the stadium and said that it was awesome to be in one of the world's biggest stadiums. He said it was just as good as anything else sports related he had ever seen whether it be soccer or rugby or some other fancy European sport. Best of all he said something upon the lines of "We (as in Tennessee), are not that good right now but the game was still great."

Made me proud to be a Tennessee Vol. The point of this story is that the Tennessee name is not just something that's statewide or nationwide, it's something that's worldwide. That's definitely something to be proud of Volnation.

Go Vols.
you should be a bucs fan

When I was in France a few years ago I was staying in Strasburg (on the French-German border) and I had some random French guy on the street yell at me (I was wearing a UT hat) "Allez L'Orange!, Go Vols!" Ever since then, I have used the Allez L'Orange call as an inside joke between my fiancé and I about UT football. I also met a lot of Vol fans in Germany, but that might be because I was near a big US military base, but I'd just like to think everywhere loves Tennessee.

Maybe the French just love us?

This reminds me... When I lived in Paris, France I was on my morning commute and saw a guy decked out in Tennessee gear. I went up to him and started talking to him. Turns out he actually played for the UT tennis team (he was French). I also remember seeing a car once in Paris with a sticker that said "University of Tennessee Nursing School."

All the French surrender jokes aren't really deserved. Going back over the past two thousand years, they've won the most wars out of any country in existence. They've just had a few rough "seasons".

Did you hear about the World War II French military rifle for sale on Ebay? Description read that it had never been fired, dropped once.

VN Store

Back