Message from Phillip Fulmer

Didn't I read CPF voted AGAINST athletes being back at this point?

We actually just passed the date that he DID want: June 15th. This was Phillip's counter to the proposal of some other coaches to return on June 1st.

Thanks for the correction...I guess that was the catalyst behind the making of the video...on the 17th...

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I associate 'Workin like Heck to Get Better' with the downslope of Fulmer's time, when he would tend to shift blame to players for 'failing to develop', etc.

Fulmer, for me, is a mixed bag. One of the hardest working coaches, and likely the best recruiter, of the 1990s. Coasted through most of the 2000's. Made good money, but JUST missed out on the era of huge salaries.

Id just as soon leave 'Workin' like Heck' in the 2000s........

I associate 'Workin like Heck to Get Better' with the downslope of Fulmer's time, when he would tend to shift blame to players for 'failing to develop', etc.

Fulmer, for me, is a mixed bag. One of the hardest working coaches, and likely the best recruiter, of the 1990s. Coasted through most of the 2000's. Made good money, but JUST missed out on the era of huge salaries.

We will all be in our orange and white, no doubt! We won’t be packing the stadium and that’s okay. Hopefully we will play, if appropriate. If not, i think it’s reasonable we will be back 2021. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that, but it’s going to be tricky to get a full year in this year boys and girls.

Reactions: 08Vol
Take Temps & Wear Masks; If everyone is that scared by September. .002 Death rate is hardly worthy of totally shutting the Country Down. Just keep the Nursing Home Residents away. That's where 60% of the Fatalities occurred. Let's see how the numbers look after all the Protesters factor in. They certainly weren't/aren't "Social Distancing".

Only Tennessee coach to win a national championship in the last half+ century. <mic drop>

You are correct that he got complacent and didn’t finish well. But, he isn’t the first coach to end that way. Most have to be told when it is time to go.

Reactions: kcvols1 and 08Vol
Just hope his skill set fits the AD job. It seems to be working to this point. I believe he has better administration support than athletics did 10 to 15 years ago. Athletics had to survive the Jimmy Cheeks, Hamiltons, Donnies, Konzos, San Francisco feminists, Butches and many other clowns and anti athletics people.

Reactions: Mikevol1964
Only Tennessee coach to win a national championship in the last half+ century. <mic drop>

You are correct that he got complacent and didn’t finish well. But, he isn’t the first coach to end that way. Most have to be told when it is time to go.

Not sure the mic drop ends the discussion. A lot of coaches stay too long, but what got me about Fulmer was toward the end he started getting aggressive in his comments about fan unrest. He thought it was his job for life and he was entitled. He seems more like the Fulmer of the 90s in the AD role. He was played a bit by Barnes, but his options were limited.

Still better than the last few ADs, by far.

Reactions: 08Vol and malibuvol
Not sure the mic drop ends the discussion. A lot of coaches stay too long, but what got me about Fulmer was toward the end he started getting aggressive in his comments about fan unrest. He thought it was his job for life and he was entitled. He seems more like the Fulmer of the 90s in the AD role. He was played a bit by Barnes, but his options were limited.
Still better than the last few ADs, by far.
If Barnes played him, what did Kelly Harper do to get a $750k salary. That's more than Warlick made and triple what Harper made during her time as head coach at her previous jobs including NC State.

I know it's less than a million a year and all, but that was a ridiculous contact.

Reactions: 08Vol

Phil could still be the Coach IF he had only handled the OC coach Hire properly after Cut left. Insecurity did him in; and He was never going to have to worry about his job as long as he kept winning 9-10 Games.

VN Store

Back