Memphi$ Tiger$ mad about paying players

I side with the colleges,universities and head coaches on this I do not want the NBA and the G League to destroy college basketball.

What has ruined college basketball is the shoe companies and schools funneling money to the elite players with the NCAA letting Calhoun, Coach K, Roy, Self, Boeheim, Sean Miller, Cal, etc. get away with blatant cheating...

Not sure I would put Larry Finch among that group. From what I recall, Larry never had NCAA trouble. He was also a nice guy and a great player.

You can talk about Kirk and Cal all you want. Pastner knew how to play the game too.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Penny Hardaway had better start winning or he'll be on a nuclear hotseat. The NIT Tournament wont be enough for Tiger High fans who think Penny will be the savior of Tiger High men's basketball.
Penny isn't lasting beyond this upcoming year. He has one juco guy and a transfer that has to sit out a year most likely. Already lost Achiuwa and Wiseman to the draft, and Tyler Harris transferring. 3 of their top 6 players are gone, and they didn't even replace them. I don't see them making NCAA tournament for the 3rd consecutive time (they weren't making it this year either).

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Penny isn't lasting beyond this upcoming year. He has one juco guy and a transfer that has to sit out a year most likely. Already lost Achiuwa and Wiseman to the draft, and Tyler Harris transferring. 3 of their top 6 players are gone, and they didn't even replace them. I don't see them making NCAA tournament for the 3rd consecutive time (they weren't making it this year either).
Agreed, their last longshot is to get Cisse to reclassify and come to memphis this year

Not sure I would put Larry Finch among that group. From what I recall, Larry never had NCAA trouble. He was also a nice guy and a great player.

You can talk about Kirk and Cal all you want. Pastner knew how to play the game too.

True about Finch and NCAA trouble. Now if you want to draw conclusions about being Kirk's lead assistant and heavily recruiting Memphis (arguably the dirtiest recruiting area in the country), then that's a fair conclusion too...

Finch is probably the cleanest coach they've had since Bartow.

True about Finch and NCAA trouble. Now if you want to draw conclusions about being Kirk's lead assistant and heavily recruiting Memphis (arguably the dirtiest recruiting area in the country), then that's a fair conclusion too...

Finch is probably the cleanest coach they've had since Bartow.

And Finch played for Bartow. I just happened to grow up during Finch’s time, and my dad had season tickets. It was always said he was a genuinely nice guy, and he just wanted Memphis to do well. Kind of like a Fulmer of Memphis basketball. If Memphis is having success, then they don’t need to recruit dirty to keep players in the city.

And Finch played for Bartow. I just happened to grow up during Finch’s time, and my dad had season tickets. It was always said he was a genuinely nice guy, and he just wanted Memphis to do well. Kind of like a Fulmer of Memphis basketball. If Memphis is having success, then they don’t need to recruit dirty to keep players in the city.

They didnt have to recruit dirty as long as Memphis fans/boosters ran AAU/grassroots programs with all that shoe company $$$$$....

Larry was a nice guy. Dana was not the best person to learn from probably but Larry unquestionably lost the confidence of the fan base and toward the end it was sad to see how he physically didn't take care of himself and I personally think that affected him as well. Still, Larry is a Memphis legend for sure. Gene Bartow IMO was the best coach Memphis ever had.

They didnt have to recruit dirty as long as Memphis fans/boosters ran AAU/grassroots programs with all that shoe company $$$$$....

That stuff happens everywhere though. The Kansas, Arizona, LSU stuff is maddening, but support for AAU programs has been going on for years, and it’s become even more popular recently. It probably helped that Bobby Maze supports Jaden Springer’s AAU team. Thaddeus Young has a local AAU program, and while it’s not a lock his kids go to Memphis, some have. You are always going to have supporters/coaches of a program who have biases.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Yep...depending on what message this "committee" wants to send after hearing the "prosecution and defense" present their cases this could be very nominal or it get be very devastating to Memphis. This will be the genesis case so we shall see.

Ultimately, the severity of the punishment will ultimately be based on how forthcoming Memphis was during the eligibility process related to Wiseman.

If the account told by Wiseman's attorneys is accurate, Memphis will get a slap on the wrist for playing him those 3 games.

If that account is not the full story (and common sense seems to indicate that its not), then postseason bans and a show cause are in play..

Ultimately, the severity of the punishment will ultimately be based on how forthcoming Memphis was during the eligibility process related to Wiseman.

If the account told by Wiseman's attorneys is accurate, Memphis will get a slap on the wrist for playing him those 3 games.

If that account is not the full story (and common sense seems to indicate that its not), then postseason bans and a show cause are in play..
You could be correct. It will be interesting to see how this new system “of fairness “ works. No one really knows how this jury like trial will work. I’m glad it’s not us having to wade through these waters. Knowingly playing an ineligible player seems pretty serious to me though.

The G League pathway won't ruin college basketball. They're not gonna take 30-35 kids every year. I see it being 10 or so (if this year is successful for the few that have chosen that route). Building maybe 2 teams combined with vets and other G-Leaguers to play that a truncated schedule and train/earn $.

Potentially bleed College Basketball dry of top shelf talent
Losing 10-12 players a year is not going to ruin college basketball. In fact, I like it. These kids have no interest in college and don’t go to class because they know they are gone in a year. They don’t need to be in college.

Oh yes. I love Tiger High threads.

The NBA G-League didn’t kill college basketball, they just provided elite players who want to get paid handsomely an alternative to the corruption of the NCAA. There will still be plenty of talented, entertaining players in the NCAA to bring the fans to their seats and incentivize boosters to provide money to their Alma Mater.

VN Store

Back