Melvin Goins Signs with Vols

These are the best results Tennessee has ever had in my lifetime. We are not a traditionally powerful basketball team. We are a football and women's basketball school by tradition. I remember it was a big deal if we EVER beat Kentucky and if we EVER went to the NCAA championship. Let's face it, in terms of men's bball we were at best middle tier, and every once and a while we'd put in a decent team (then we'd get excited).

Bruce came around and changed everything and now we have expectations to win the NCAA tournament like the Lady Vols. Fans need to relax.

That has nothing to do with what I said.

It looks like this signing was made for one main reason; defense. He is suppose to be able to play lockdown defense. If that is the case then we need that desperately and I dont care where he washed out at. Now, if his defensive prowess is just a myth then I agree that this signing seems useless.

Here's a look at conference wins in the SEC since Bruce's first year (2005-06). The first number indicates regular season wins, while the number in parentheses includes SEC tournament wins.

1) Tennessee: 46 (47)
2) Florida: 39 (45)
t3) Kentucky: 38 (41)
t3) LSU: 38 (40)
5) Vanderbilt: 34 (36)
6) Mississippi State: 33 (35)
t7) Alabama: 28 (29)
t7) Arkansas: 28 (34)
9) Mississippi: 26 (27)
t10) Auburn: 24
t10) South Carolina: 24 (28)
12) Georgia: 20 (25)

Someone else had posted this a couple weeks ago. This is success. It speaks for itself. No, we haven't won any major titles or made it past the Sweet Sixteen, but when you consider where the program was during the 4 years prior to Bruce's arrival, I don't think you can realistically say that it is not headed in the right direction.

Here's a look at conference wins in the SEC since Bruce's first year (2005-06). The first number indicates regular season wins, while the number in parentheses includes SEC tournament wins.

1) Tennessee: 46 (47)
2) Florida: 39 (45)
t3) Kentucky: 38 (41)
t3) LSU: 38 (40)
5) Vanderbilt: 34 (36)
6) Mississippi State: 33 (35)
t7) Alabama: 28 (29)
t7) Arkansas: 28 (34)
9) Mississippi: 26 (27)
t10) Auburn: 24
t10) South Carolina: 24 (28)
12) Georgia: 20 (25)

Someone else had posted this a couple weeks ago. This is success. It speaks for itself. No, we haven't won any major titles or made it past the Sweet Sixteen, but when you consider where the program was during the 4 years prior to Bruce's arrival, I don't think you can realistically say that it is not headed in the right direction.
Well stated, yet there are still people bashing CBP.

The only people who are down on Pearl are the bitter Fulmer-ites. Bruce is the man, and anyone who says different isn't really informend and can't make a good argument.

Nothing against Goins, but can't get too excited about a juco. Most jucos--whether in football or basketball--just aren't as good as advertised. Maze reinforces that point. As for Pearl, he's been great for this bedraggled program, but there is much work to be done if UT is to become a serious BB threat. You won't beat the big boys hoisting up treys: The team needs better, more athletic guards (which Pearl recognizes)--and needs to become a better, TOUGHER half-court team.

The Vols got away from Coach's pressing style because of lack of quicknes which seems to be what CBP is doing in going after Goins and other guards signed for 2010 season. I hope they get back to the pressing style that defined his first few years at UT which were more exciting and effective.

First off, I'm an avowed Pearl fan. I grew up in Evansville, where he absolutely dominated everybody at USI, and the area has a strong affection for the guy. Sue me.

Secondly, I used to be a manager for Ball State, and I think you guys don't understand what happened. Mel didn't leave BSU for a lack of success, he left due to some pretty extraordinary circumstances. Mel was signed in the early period for BSU (who actually put together a top 35 class that year), however due to the resignation of Ronny Thompson the following July, things were thrown into some chaos. About half of the team ended up leaving, and BSU was playing with something like 7 scholarship players in the 2007-08 season, Mel being one of them.

He was extremely successful, being named to the all freshman team in the MAC. He went 5-5 from the 3-point arc and scored 21 points in addition to 4 assists and 2 steals on the floor of a ranked Kent State team. He's undersized, but extremely strong, one of the strongest PGs I've seen. He's also got great bounce, this is a guy who can and will throw down the occasional dunk. He posterized Calathes at St. Joe's that season.

That said, he's not the greatest passer nor the greatest shooter, but he makes plays. He can create turnovers, which I think makes him a decent fit in yall's system.

Were there better guys available? Probably, but to say this is a waste of a scholarship or that dude was a Ball State wash-out doesn't tell the whole story. There are two other people from that class that are getting legitimate major conference interest (Rashaun McLemore and Deontay Twyman). I think it says a lot about the kid that he played through a whole season before leaving instead of up and going (like what happens a lot these days after a coaching change).

First off, I'm an avowed Pearl fan. I grew up in Evansville, where he absolutely dominated everybody at USI, and the area has a strong affection for the guy. Sue me.

Secondly, I used to be a manager for Ball State, and I think you guys don't understand what happened. Mel didn't leave BSU for a lack of success, he left due to some pretty extraordinary circumstances. Mel was signed in the early period for BSU (who actually put together a top 35 class that year), however due to the resignation of Ronny Thompson the following July, things were thrown into some chaos. About half of the team ended up leaving, and BSU was playing with something like 7 scholarship players in the 2007-08 season, Mel being one of them.

He was extremely successful, being named to the all freshman team in the MAC. He went 5-5 from the 3-point arc and scored 21 points in addition to 4 assists and 2 steals on the floor of a ranked Kent State team. He's undersized, but extremely strong, one of the strongest PGs I've seen. He's also got great bounce, this is a guy who can and will throw down the occasional dunk. He posterized Calathes at St. Joe's that season.

That said, he's not the greatest passer nor the greatest shooter, but he makes plays. He can create turnovers, which I think makes him a decent fit in yall's system.

Were there better guys available? Probably, but to say this is a waste of a scholarship or that dude was a Ball State wash-out doesn't tell the whole story. There are two other people from that class that are getting legitimate major conference interest (Rashaun McLemore and Deontay Twyman). I think it says a lot about the kid that he played through a whole season before leaving instead of up and going (like what happens a lot these days after a coaching change).

Thanks for the insight:good!:....Welcome to the Board:hi:

And wasn't it Ball State that THUMPED the aforementioned and vastly overrated Pat Summitt in the tourney, knocking them out in the first round?

And wasn't it Ball State that THUMPED the aforementioned and vastly overrated Pat Summitt in the tourney, knocking them out in the first round?

Their team was much better looking than ours - maybe that was the problem. :whistling:

and that's relevant to anything in this thread about a mens bball recruit? Oh, you just wanted to repeat your belief that CPS can't coach. Got it

This is the first time in the history of the women's tournament that Summit's team didn't make the sweet 16 and suddenly she's "vastly overrated".

Some people on this board just amaze me...

I'm pretty sure he isn't on scholarship. From this year, we just lost Ryan Childress as a scholarship player, and I believe that Goins signing means that someone (Tyler, Chism, Tabb, or Tatum) is leaving the team.

VN Store

Back