Mel Kiper: Jalen Hurd rated the 3rd best RB prospect in the 2017 Draft

D4H just can't get behind a stud unless they're thick and have plenty of girth. Beer gut and/or love handles are a deal breaker though. 😏

Seriously. I sometimes can't tell if he is talking about the draft or the last episode of The Bachelorette.

Reactions: 1 person
Cook and McCaffrey are not every down backs. They'll struggle in the NFL like Reggie Bush because they lack the size.

They're good college players but not great NFL prospects. Especially McCaffrey.

They're both approximately the same size as LeSean McCoy and bigger Justin Forsett. Then throw in your example of Jamal Charles.....that's 3 backs who have been feature backs and have had excellent success. 3(Charles, McCoy, Forsett) >> 1(Bush).

Elite college player? Yes.

Elite NFL prospect? No.

Same with Dalvin Cook. Both are too small to be feature backs in the NFL. And nobody spends a 1st round pick anymore on undersized complimentary 3rd down back.

See Jamaal Charles. He's the most successful undersized back in recent memory at the professional level and he only went in the 3rd round.

After Reggie Bush's underwhelming NFL career, no one wants to spend a pick that high on an undersized RB.

And when was the last time the NFL spent a 1st rd pick on a big, "over-sized" running back who averaged 4.5 yards per carry in college and who hadn't demonstrated any game-breaking ability/plays??

Btw, you act like Cook and McCaffrey are the same size as Dexter McCluster. These guys arent 5'8 170 dude.

I'm not quite sold on McCaffrey at the NFL level yet but I am on Cook.....he's 5'11 206 (average size of last 2 NFL season's leading rushers is 6'1, 220 btw), with elite speed/burst/elusiveness.....think a faster LeSean McCoy with not quite as much lateral quickness.

If you're so concerned about his size, I'm certain he could put on 10 lbs pretty easily without affecting his speed....and that'd give him the necessary "thickness" you require since at 5'11 215 he'd be essentially as big as Frank Gore, DeAngelo Williams, Demarco Murray and Marshawn Lynch.

Last edited:
I'd take Hurd over any back in college football right now because of his overall attributes and how he handles himself on and off the field. With that said I don't think he will go in the first round. I'd go as far as saying he won't get drafted until the third or 4th.

His running style will get him in a lot of trouble in the NFL because his pad level is too high. It almost hurts to make this honest observation and I hope he proves me wrong.

It would be nice to see him stay for his senior season.

And when was the last time the NFL spent a 1st rd pick on a big, "over-sized" running back who averaged 4.5 yards per carry in college and who hadn't demonstrated any game-breaking ability/plays??

Btw, you act like Cook and McCaffrey are the same size as Dexter McCluster. These guys arent 5'8 170 dude.

I'm not quite sold on McCaffrey at the NFL level yet but I am on Cook.....he's 5'11 206 (average size of last 2 NFL season's leading rushers is 6'1, 220 btw), with elite speed/burst/elusiveness.....think a faster LeSean McCoy with not quite as much lateral quickness.

If you're so concerned about his size, I'm certain he could put on 10 lbs pretty easily without affecting his speed....and that'd give him the necessary "thickness" you require since at 5'11 215 he'd be essentially as big as Frank Gore, DeAngelo Williams, Demarco Murray and Marshawn Lynch.

LaDanian Tomlinson/Marshall Faulk/Curtis Martin/Tiki Barber/etc

I'm not sure D4H was actually aware of Cook's size. Even McCaffrey is listed at 6' and 200lb. And that's as a college SO.

I'm not sure D4H was actually aware of Cook's size. Even McCaffrey is listed at 6' and 200lb. And that's as a college SO.

Other great examples. Thanks. That being said, get your raincoat and hip waders out....D4H about rain some serious ish on this thread IMO.

Y'all are forgetting one very important thing. D4H has a talent for viewing prospects. He knows more than college coaches, former players, NFL scouts and analysts.

They're both approximately the same size as LeSean McCoy and bigger Justin Forsett. Then throw in your example of Jamal Charles.....that's 3 backs who have been feature backs and have had excellent success. 3(Charles, McCoy, Forsett) >> 1(Bush).

McCoy = 2nd rounder
Charles = 3rd rounder
Forsett = 7th rounder

I think you're confusing NFL success with projecting draft position.

I'm not arguing that Cook and McCaffrey can't succeed in the NFL. I'm telling you they won't be drafted that high.

Sort of like how a 5'10" QB won't go in the 1st round just because of the success Russell Wilson has had.

Last edited:

Its more about how the body is put together than pounds on a scale.

Both Cook and McCaffrey have skinny lower bodies.

Guys like Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch, and LaDanian Tomlinson are naturally stocky in the lower body. That is the type of build that withstands the punishment of an NFL career.

You guys may not like it but this is what scouts look for.

Last edited:
McCoy = 2nd rounder
Charles = 3rd rounder
Forsett = 7th rounder

I think you're confusing NFL success with projecting draft position.

I'm not arguing that Cook and McCaffrey can't succeed in the NFL. I'm telling you they won't be drafted that high.

Sort of like how a 5'10" QB won't go in the 1st round just because of the success Russell Wilson has had.

And you my friend are confusing a rb's size/stature and his ability to become a featured back for an NFL team. You throw out one example, Reggie Bush, to support your erroneous opinion.

You said this in a previous post....

"Cook and McCaffrey are not every down backs. They'll struggle in the NFL like Reggie Bush because they lack the size."

My post addressed that incorrect observation on your part, not draft position.

Also, btw, here are a couple of other stud, feature NFL running backs, brought up by another poster, over the last several years approximately Cook's size...

Curtis Martin, 5'11 210
Tiki Barber, 5'10 205

And just for good measure, a few more pretty good NFL feature backs in recent years who were approximately as big as Dalvin Cook, who......wait for it.....also were FIRST ROUND picks:

LaDainian Tomlinson, 5'10, 215
Marshall Faulk, 5'10, 211
Edgerrin James, 6'0, 215

Guys like Frank Gore, Marshawn Lynch, and LaDanian Tomlinson are naturally stocky in the lower body. That is the type of build that withstands the punishment of an NFL career.

Lol. So similar heights and weights aren't enough for you? Now we gotta google thigh and calf sizes?

Pretty much all of your draft predictions for the most recent draft were wrong so excuse us if your opinion is meaningless to us.

Please remind me of "all" of these misses.

As of right now all yall got is ONE. The same ONE yall keep repeating.

So please remind us of ALL my misses.

You simply play Devils advocate to everyone else's opinions. If the popular belief is one thing you believe the other no matter how far fetched it is. You're not even a UT fan why are you even here?

Reactions: 1 person
Ray Rice is thick. When I say undersized, I'm not talking height. Being low to the ground is actually a positive for a pro RB.

What I'm talking about is girth. Weight. Build. Lower body thickness.

McCaffrey lacks the thickness to withstand the punishment of being a feature back in the NFL.

D4H's girlfriend chimes in...

Yes.

Just watch what happens when the draft comes around.

If you think that Dalvin Cook isn't one of the first 2-3 RBs taken, and possibly even in the first round, I don't know what to tell you. If he's healthy, he's the second best RB in college football behind Fournette IMO.

So you're Sir Mix-A-Lot but looking at RB's?

I'm pretty sure you were also wrong about Paxton Lynch. When several of us discussed him on VN and how impressive he looked at Memphis, particularly how well he played vs OleMiss.....and even said he'd go high as one of the first qbs and even one of the first players taken overall, you didnt agree. Iirc, you weren't a fan of Lynch at all, yet, there he goes, a first round pick to the SuperBowl Champion Broncos.

Edit: also, iirc, you predicted that Randolph's great proday meant he'd go from undrafted to drafted in the 5th or 6th round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
If you think that Dalvin Cook isn't one of the first 2-3 RBs taken, and possibly even in the first round, I don't know what to tell you. If he's healthy, he's the second best RB in college football behind Fournette IMO.

Good for him. However, college ain't the NFL.

Cook will be drafted AFTER Hurd. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Elijah Hood is also drafted ahead of him.

Cook is CJ2K with 4.4 speed instead of 4.24 speed. CJ2K went late 1st. IMO a RB like CJ2K but with 4.4 speed instead of 4.2 speed is a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. However, I think Cook goes late 1st like CJ2K because of his college hype.

Fournette and Hurd will go #1 and #2 at RB in some order. After that a healthy Chubb, Royce Freeman, and Elijah Hood come next. Cook will find himself in that mix.

Last edited:
Good for him. However, college ain't the NFL.

Cook will be drafted AFTER Hurd. I personally wouldn't be surprised if Elijah Hood is also drafted ahead of him.

Cook is CJ2K with 4.45 speed instead of 4.24 speed. CJ2K went late 1st. IMO a RB like CJ2K but with 4.4 speed instead of 4.2 speed in a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. However, I think Cook goes late 1st like CJ2K because of his college hype.

Fournette and Hurd will go #1 and #2 at RB in some order. After that a healthy Chubb, Royce Freeman, and Elijah Hood come next. Cook will find himself in that mix.

Allow me to rephrase. Not only is he the second best RB in college football, he'll be the second best RB prospect in the 2017 draft IMHO, just ahead of Chubb. Just no way Jalen goes #2 behind LF. Just not explosive enough, just not productive enough.

I'm pretty sure you were also wrong about Paxton Lynch. When several of us discussed him on VN and how impressive he looked at Memphis, particularly how well he played vs OleMiss.....and even said he'd go high as one of the first qbs and even one of the first players taken overall, you didnt agree. Iirc, you weren't a fan of Lynch at all, yet, there he goes, a first round pick to the SuperBowl Champion Broncos.

Edit: also, iirc, you predicted that Randolph's great proday meant he'd go from undrafted to drafted in the 5th or 6th round.

I predicted nothing of the sort. I only said it was a possibility. If anything you were the one touting him as a draftable prospect. I was the one who said he wasn't but some team might get fooled by his pro day workout.

Looks like no one was fooled.

P.S. Lynch wasn't significant enough for me to make any sort of prediction about. I said I wasn't a fan. I never said he wouldn't go in the first. Hell around that time people were projecting him as the #1 overall pick. I simply wasn't sold. And I'm still not.

Allow me to rephrase. Not only is he the second best RB in college football, he'll be the second best RB prospect in the 2017 draft IMHO, just ahead of Chubb. Just no way Jalen goes #2 behind LF. Just not explosive enough, just not productive enough.

You're right. Hurd could go #1 ahead of Fournette.

I'll bet you anything he goes before Cook though. Its really bizarre that you are infatuated by an undersized RB who ALREADY has durability questions in college. Kid has red flags all over the place. NFL teams like guys who they can count on. Cook is already having trouble staying on the field against ACC defenders.

What do you think happens when he plays NFL defenders?

And FYI Hurd is plenty explosive. He's as explosive getting to the edge as any RB in his class. Yes that includes Cook and Fournette. He just hasn't shown that home run top end speed.

But his initial explosiveness is stupid. Just watch how fast he runs that 40 at the combine. It'll be faster than North. I'm betting 4.47 or below.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back