Media bias?

You could hear Steve Van Gundy grunt when Duke missed a FT towards the end of the game. Idk if that’s rooting for Duke or rooting against Tennessee, but it’s not professional as a “non-biased” commentator.

Was it SVG or Bonner who was calling Vescovi a “drama major” when Duke got called for an obvious offensive foul after the ball handler shoved Vescovi? But when Duke flopped without getting touched, no one said anything.

Who cares, lets just fly under the radar and win this thing. FF and they will not have anybody else to talk about. Win it all they will not have anybody else to talk about. To be honest I think we are the favorites of the Refs. They realize they have screwed us in the past and now it is time to make the correction.

We played hard nosed ball yesterday and when Duke went to a Zone it is like they gave up. By the time they went back to man to man the game was over with...

Reactions: 08Vol and Ratvol
Charles Barkley was complimentary of Tennessee and concluded that Tennessee manhandled Duke and was much more physical than any team Duke had seen all year. Barnes actually recruited Sheyer years ago when he was at Texas and had been complimentary of his young but very talented team. Barnes beat him the best way possible, get them down in the mud.

Thats the only time I have heard an announcer say the referee made a bad call. If I remember he said, "this is the 2nd time I am going to disagree with you this tournament, that was a defensive foul no question". This was when they called a charge upon ramming Olivier. Normally national level announcers don't call out the refs.

Barnes completely outcoached Scheyer yesterday and he looked relaxed while doing it.
He was relaxed because Vescovi took over. His energy from the get go was above anyone on the court. Took his teammates about a half to catch up, but when they did, Duke was not a match. We all knew we needed one player to really carry the team. Vescovi didn’t have the most points, but he was MVP, don’t mistake it. If James could find that for the stretch, look out. ON got infected and you see the results. At this point it’s really up to the players. Probably the least amount of coaching Barnes has had to do. Other than managing the foul count, he just let them play.

Was it SVG or Bonner who was calling Vescovi a “drama major” when Duke got called for an obvious offensive foul after the ball handler shoved Vescovi? But when Duke flopped without getting touched, no one said anything.
I’m not sure which one, but I heard that too. I do think it’s more of a “blue blood” thing rather than anti-Tennessee, but sheeeeeesh guys, atleast make it unnoticeable..

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Oh definitely

Think about it l. The Duke vs Tennessee game was the only game on during 2:40. They didn't want the blue blood to get too blown out, they like the ratings. Look no further than the refs changing that foul from roach to proctor
That was the most blatant attempt by an official to change the course of the game I’ve ever seen. Honestly he should be investigated to see if he had money on the game

I'm not sure why anyone would remotely be surprised that everyone from the announcers to the media in general was pushing Duke as the favorite. They've won 5 NCs and been to 17 FFs and were playing very well down the stretch; plus they are great for college basektball ratings. Add to that several "experts" had them in the FF agian so they had to hope they weren't proven wrong.

If you were surprised or upset about it, you haven't been paying attention for a long time.

Well, I'm tired of seeing dozens of articles online since game ends that start Duke, Duke ,Duke and then go into a wordy rehash of what they didn't do. Not one article says anything like...TN bitch slaps and curb stomps a less talented over hyped program!
Charles went out of way to praise TN after that win. Ate a little crow since he had picked Duke.

You mean like Candace Parker during the halftime report or afterwards? I don't spend alot of time worrying about how the talking heads covering the game. They may have other teams that they grew up supporting or not. The fact is there's a handful of teams with a national reputation that are going to get favorable publicity during the tournament because of their historical record. Tennessee isn't one of them.
Yet. :)

We shouldn't get our panties in a wad when the Vols are playing on a national stage and the announcers aren't as big of a homer as Bert Bertelkamp.
I love Bert but I really miss Tim Priest.

Oh definitely

Think about it l. The Duke vs Tennessee game was the only game on during 2:40. They didn't want the blue blood to get too blown out, they like the ratings. Look no further than the refs changing that foul from roach to proctor

Yes they did. And they knew what they were doing. On the media front, how @ the commentator ranting on 2 separate occasions when OK took the shoulder to the chest while retreating ... dude came back a 2nd time to call it "a huge atrocious call" or some such. Even after the other comm agreed with the 3 refs and the video. That guy was homering for Puke the 2nd ½.

When is there not media bias against us? What media sources are based in the southeast? You know how them yankees view us hillbillies. Contempt and scorn. They'd rather swallow razor blades than give us rednecks credit for anything in any sport. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia....all seem to be somehow "different" types of "southerners". Tennessee OTOH is viewed in that uniquely unfavorable light...Nashville being the lone exception. Just something about east Tennessee that they view with disdain and contempt. Been that way for as long as I can remember. We'll never be a part of their favored class. Frankly, I'd not have it any other way. Screw the media. Liars and hypocrites one and all IMO. We'll do what we do on our own. Don't need or want their approval.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
Who cares, lets just fly under the radar and win this thing. FF and they will not have anybody else to talk about. Win it all they will not have anybody else to talk about. To be honest I think we are the favorites of the Refs. They realize they have screwed us in the past and now it is time to make the correction.

We played hard nosed ball yesterday and when Duke went to a Zone it is like they gave up. By the time they went back to man to man the game was over with...

Zone was a smart move by Duke. Vescovi had been our engine in the first half and it was designed to quiet him and keep their bigs and Roach from playing man and getting in foul trouble. What nobody expected was ON playing like a lottery pick. He single handedly busted the zone with a variety of shots and rebounds along with our big men making great passes from the FT line. We put on a zone busting clinic and were very smart with substitutions by sending waves of fresh athletes, ball handlers and bigs in around ON who had the hot hand. Beautiful coaching and execution.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
Yeah, most of the time, I think the whining about announcers is silly but they were definitely pro-Duke for most of the second half. Once we pulled away and it was clear we would win, they really started singing our praises though.

First half and at the start, they seemed even.

Reactions: Voltopia
Thats the only time I have heard an announcer say the referee made a bad call. If I remember he said, "this is the 2nd time I am going to disagree with you this tournament, that was a defensive foul no question". This was when they called a charge upon ramming Olivier. Normally national level announcers don't call out the refs.

SVG only calls college games in the tournament and CBS is not at risk of losing the rights any time soon so you will get different play by play analysis in March. That said, SvG is wrong. That would have been a blocking call if the offensive player had not extended his arm while driving...point of emphasis and has been called that way all year along with lowering the shoulder into a moving defender. SVG should learn the college game more or stick to the NBA. Can't stand his stupid voice anyway...his brother got the brains in that family.

VN Store

Back