Media bias?

Duke was the sexy pick. Media wants to be right and tell their narrative. Doesn't bother me. To be fair, we've received the media bias in SEC play. Everyone loved us. They just left us for dead though when we went through some injuries abd ZZ went out for the year.

You mean like Candace Parker during the halftime report or afterwards? I don't spend alot of time worrying about how the talking heads covering the game. They may have other teams that they grew up supporting or not. The fact is there's a handful of teams with a national reputation that are going to get favorable publicity during the tournament because of their historical record. Tennessee isn't one of them. We shouldn't get our panties in a wad when the Vols are playing on a national stage and the announcers aren't as big of a homer as Bert Bertelkamp.

Why wouldn't it given how the regular season/conf tourney ended for each team?

this all day long

I had the same bias - didn't think we would have a chance after our Rd 1 performance and Duke's. The media would be insane to not think Duke was the strong favorite.

Reactions: 08Vol
The broadcast definitely skewed toward telling Duke's story. They were routinely calling the game as "Duke is behind" or "Duke is making a run" or "Duke is answering Tennessee." On and on and on, especially in the second half. Once Tennessee really locked in that ten point lead, they started to give Tennessee some praise, but it was clear they were waiting on Duke to make their comeback - which never came. Womp womp.

Well, I'm tired of seeing dozens of articles online since game ends that start Duke, Duke ,Duke and then go into a wordy rehash of what they didn't do. Not one article says anything like...TN bitch slaps and curb stomps a less talented over hyped program!

Who cares? We won the game! Get fired up for the regionals on Thursday.

The broadcast definitely skewed toward telling Duke's story. They were routinely calling the game as "Duke is behind" or "Duke is making a run" or "Duke is answering Tennessee." On and on and on, especially in the second half. Once Tennessee really locked in that ten point lead, they started to give Tennessee some praise, but it was clear they were waiting on Duke to make their comeback - which never came. Womp womp.

I think everyone - including me and each of my UT-loving family members - was waiting on Duke to come back. Thankfully they didn’t.

Last edited:
I can’t stand Bilas, or even Seth Davis. And even Hummel from Purdue. Okay I might need to admit I hold a grudge against announcers that talk bad about the VOLS
You could hear Steve Van Gundy grunt when Duke missed a FT towards the end of the game. Idk if that’s rooting for Duke or rooting against Tennessee, but it’s not professional as a “non-biased” commentator.

VN Store

Back