Meaningless bowl game

If the Orange Bowl is nothing more than a meaningless game, why watch it? Why play it? Why should we be excited about it? I mean why should any of these NFL-ready seniors or underclassmen play? If it's so easy for these players to simply opt-out and not compete why play the games? Who wants to watch a glorified scrimmage between teams playing "the next man up"? Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars to go see a game that is meaningless? Why would I want to invest in the season knowing that it won't matter unless we make the playoffs? I don't really want to see the stars of tomorrow, I can see them next year. I want to see the stars of today.

We haven't been to a bowl game of this caliber for more than a decade, but it's meaningless.

Edit: For the love of god! I am being facetious here! Of course, I think it has meaning. This was in response to several posters claiming that the game is meaningless or nothing more than a glorified scrimmage in the Hyatt opt-out thread.

fans are always excited when there is a game and there is absolutely no reason to not be excited and want to watch it. The players are the one's a lot less excited about it in general. That is not always the case but I've seen and heard it a lot from players. They would rather spend holidays with family and friends at home then at a bowl.

But you should chose what you want to do. 2 bowl games I went to and watched an uninspired team get blasted where against Clemson (2003) and Maryland (2002). Players wanted no part of either game. When you go to a bowl, just expect it could go either way. or chose not to go..

Other games I attended they were not enthused with being at were Virginia (1990), Penn State (1991), Penn St (1993), Wisconsin (2007), North Carolina (2010) and Northwestern (2015). I was around the players and observed actions. Easy to see not excited.

To be fair, these are the bowl games where they were excited for the games.

1985 Miami, 1989 Arkansas, 1992 Boston College, 1995 Ohio St, 1997 Nebraska, 1998 Florida St, 2001 Michigan and Virginia Tech 2009.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsSportsFan
fans are always excited when there is a game and there is absolutely no reason to not be excited and want to watch it. The players are the one's a lot less excited about it in general. That is not always the case but I've seen and heard it a lot from players. They would rather spend holidays with family and friends at home then at a bowl.

But you should chose what you want to do. 2 bowl games I went to and watched an uninspired team get blasted where against Clemson (2003) and Maryland (2002). Players wanted no part of either game. When you go to a bowl, just expect it could go either way. or chose not to go..

Other games I attended they were not enthused with being at were Virginia (1990), Penn State (1991), Penn St (1993), Wisconsin (2007), North Carolina (2010) and Northwestern (2015). I was around the players and observed actions. Easy to see not excited.

To be fair, these are the bowl games where they were excited for the games.

1985 Miami, 1989 Arkansas, 1992 Boston College, 1995 Ohio St, 1997 Nebraska, 1998 Florida St, 2001 Michigan and Virginia Tech 2009.
Unfortunately, the only game I could attend in the 90's was the NCS in 98. Other commitments/duties had me out of the country for almost that complete decade. But I absolutely do get your point, but if that's actually the case why are bowl games played and why would getting to one be a goal? It simply can't be for the fans or even more player development. I mean there has to be motivation right?

FLSTF-vol,I comprehend asshat pretty well.Find a mirror.
Did you actually go back and re-read the post or are you just so stubborn to admit that you misread it and came off as an ass that you have to still be an ass? We are probably on the same page. In that, both of us think the game actually has meaning.

Unfortunately, the only game I could attend in the 90's was the NCS in 98. Other commitments/duties had me out of the country for almost that complete decade. But I absolutely do get your point, but if that's actually the case why are bowl games played and why would getting to one be a goal? It simply can't be for the fans or even more player development. I mean there has to be motivation right?

Why are the bowl games played?

Because of G5 airplanes and money.....lots and lots of money

R.7da0a429b16e19ed75c79bffaa3885b9

A few bowl games meant something major between something from 1968-1997. That's when several bowls were played that could determine the MNC.

General Neyland treated one bowl game seriously, the 1939 Orange Bowl. We had a bunch of injuries in it and he said that was it for taking them seriously. They were meant to be an exhibition game with a trip as a reward for a good season. They didn't affect conference or national title stakes. Since 1997 that has returned to being the case.

The OP was very very very offended and had his feelings hurt that Jalin Hyatt would dare opt out, as a means to absolutely reduce his risk to near 0 of getting a major injury that could literally affect generations of his family from a financial security standpoint.

I want Tennessee to win every game they play from a football game to an exhibition tiddly winks game. However, my feelings won't ever be hurt, nor will I question a player's character for doing the least risky thing for his and his family's future.

A few bowl games meant something major between something from 1968-1997. That's when several bowls were played that could determine the MNC.

General Neyland treated one bowl game seriously, the 1939 Orange Bowl. We had a bunch of injuries in it and he said that was it for taking them seriously. They were meant to be an exhibition game with a trip as a reward for a good season. They didn't affect conference or national title stakes. Since 1997 that has returned to being the case.

The OP was very very very offended and had his feelings hurt that Jalin Hyatt would dare opt out, as a means to absolutely reduce his risk to near 0 of getting a major injury that could literally affect generations of his family from a financial security standpoint.

I want Tennessee to win every game they play from a football game to an exhibition tiddly winks game. However, my feelings won't ever be hurt, nor will I question a player's character for doing the least risky thing for his and his family's future.

Amen! Especially, for a small guy like Hyatt who is out in the open.

Last year, Kiffin talked his little Q-back, Matt Corral, into playing Sugar Bowl. He suffered a major injury early and has never been the same.

Cost his family mega-millions to play 1/8 of a game against Baylor.

If the Orange Bowl is nothing more than a meaningless game, why watch it? Why play it? Why should we be excited about it? I mean why should any of these NFL-ready seniors or underclassmen play? If it's so easy for these players to simply opt-out and not compete why play the games? Who wants to watch a glorified scrimmage between teams playing "the next man up"? Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars to go see a game that is meaningless? Why would I want to invest in the season knowing that it won't matter unless we make the playoffs? I don't really want to see the stars of tomorrow, I can see them next year. I want to see the stars of today.

We haven't been to a bowl game of this caliber for more than a decade, but it's meaningless.

Edit: For the love of god! I am being facetious here! Of course, I think it has meaning. This was in response to several posters claiming that the game is meaningless or nothing more than a glorified scrimmage in the Hyatt opt-out thread.
This is my thought exactly. When we went playoff scenario, all other bowls are a waste of time. With opt outs and transfer portal, no one cares!

Reactions: BruisedOrange
This is my thought exactly. When we went playoff scenario, all other bowls are a waste of time. With opt outs and transfer portal, no one cares!

I have no idea why people keep saying this because in the BCS era nobody cared about anything outside the BCS bowls and in some cases not even the BCS bowls.

And I keep asking but nobody ever responds, can you tell me a reality when people "cared" about the vast majority of the bowls? You really jacked up for the Bahamas Bowl? The Quick Lane Bowl? The Mayo Bowl? You excited about watching a MAC team vs. a Sun Belt team in the Podunk Bowl?

Nothing meaningless about it. Great opportunity for Tennessee against one of the better programs over the past 10 years. I will say I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle if we don't win. It's a great opportunity to see how Milton does as "the guy" against good competition and will tell us if we can have a decent season with him next year or do we need to look elsewhere. It could also be the coming out party for Halzle, as I expect him to be named as OC, or at least assume that role for the bowl game. A win with both these guys taking charge at those positions will tell us a lot more about what we can expect next year. And a win means we finish 11-2. That's a damn fine accomplishment in year two.
This. I also wanna see if we still run it on 3rd and 12. It never seems to fool anybody.

Money... that is the primary reason..

Did you actually go back and re-read the post or are you just so stubborn to admit that you misread it and came off as an ass that you have to still be an ass? We are probably on the same page. In that, both of us think the game actually has meaning.

See, this is where you guys lose the plot. I haven't seen anyone call bowl games "meaningless", that's a classic straw man move by you guys that think players who busted their asses for the last couple of seasons to help bring this program back to relevance should risk setting their families up for generations simply for your satisfaction.

Bowls have tremendous meaning - to schools for the exposure and the revenue, to the sites as a boon for local business, to coaches for the extra practices and being able to see kids that will be playing a big part on next year's team, and to seniors who might be playing the last organized football of their lives. That's a hell of a lot of meaning, even if it doesn't make you happy.

Oh, and I'll bet we are about the same age, so I'm not a 'hipster' with a 'man bun'.

Reactions: BruisedOrange

I don't blame these guys one bit going for the $$$$, however your sentence does have merit "Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars to go see a game that is meaningless?" If you want a vacation over the Christmas Holiday season great go for it. Different time and with this playoff it has made a lot of Bowl Games less special along with some really interesting sponsors. Just think of what would have happened in 1985 Sugar Bowl if all those players opted out? Probably not the same outcome. I do think when they make it 12 teams it will be much more entertaining and meaningful.
ch

Some folks keep talking about all these players opting out of bowl but the only 2 I have seen confirmed out is Tillman and Hyatt. Hooker is out for injury. Who are these other so called opt outs. Wright is playing, who else? GBO!

Meaningless bowl? Maybe.

Meaningless game? Hell naw.

I’m hype for TN - Clem. I’m excited to get a ‘23 preview of Milton & Co win lose or draw.

Don’t care about opt-outs. I care about opt-ins. I want to see a 5-star effort to start building a 5-star culture for our new recruits! GO VOLS

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I have no idea why people keep saying this because in the BCS era nobody cared about anything outside the BCS bowls and in some cases not even the BCS bowls.

And I keep asking but nobody ever responds, can you tell me a reality when people "cared" about the vast majority of the bowls? You really jacked up for the Bahamas Bowl? The Quick Lane Bowl? The Mayo Bowl? You excited about watching a MAC team vs. a Sun Belt team in the Podunk Bowl?
Actually I do. Bowl season is a continuation of the regular season and I'm a huge fan of college football, any college football.

See, this is where you guys lose the plot. I haven't seen anyone call bowl games "meaningless", that's a classic straw man move by you guys that think players who busted their asses for the last couple of seasons to help bring this program back to relevance should risk setting their families up for generations simply for your satisfaction.

Bowls have tremendous meaning - to schools for the exposure and the revenue, to the sites as a boon for local business, to coaches for the extra practices and being able to see kids that will be playing a big part on next year's team, and to seniors who might be playing the last organized football of their lives. That's a hell of a lot of meaning, even if it doesn't make you happy.

Oh, and I'll bet we are about the same age, so I'm not a 'hipster' with a 'man bun'.
What is your point? I AGREE that bowls mean something! Did you actually read my original post? WTF? And to find those people that called the orange bowl "meaningless" go read some of the replies in the Hyatt opting out thread. You might be surprised at how many actually state that "its a meaningless bowl" or that its nothing more than a "glorified scrimmage". Not hard to find. There goes your "classic straw man".

What is your point? I AGREE that bowls mean something! Did you actually read my original post? WTF? And to find those people that called the orange bowl "meaningless" go read some of the replies in the Hyatt opting out thread. You might be surprised at how many actually state that "its a meaningless bowl" or that its nothing more than a "glorified scrimmage". Not hard to find. There goes your "classic straw man".

Sorry, I was going off your last post - apologies. No, they aren't meaningless or certainly not 'glorified scrimmages', which is a ridiculous thing to suggest.

They are tremendously meaningful for schools, coaches, and the players who are playing, but they should have no connection whatsoever to the season just concluded, meaning any stats shouldn't count toward the season and the W-L should not be affected. They should simply be stand-alone 'exhibitions' that are a reward for a successful season, a fun trip for the players and fans.

Sorry, I was going off your last post - apologies. No, they aren't meaningless or certainly not 'glorified scrimmages', which is a ridiculous thing to suggest.

They are tremendously meaningful for schools, coaches, and the players who are playing, but they should have no connection whatsoever to the season just concluded, meaning any stats shouldn't count toward the season and the W-L should not be affected. They should simply be stand-alone 'exhibitions' that are a reward for a successful season, a fun trip for the players and fans.
Exactly but it's just mindboggling to me the number of fans (these days) that look at these games that way.

LOL I'll outlive your hipster life there little fella. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out which pronoun to use today or how far you need to roll up your pants leg.
Maybe so, my post was that no one will miss you when you are gone. Even if you “outlive other people’s lifes.” You are a dumb person who has convinced yourself that you are smart, spouting the same **** about younger generations that’s been said for 10,000 years.

Exactly but it's just mindboggling to me the number of fans (these days) that look at these games that way.

Not really, when you consider that most fans only look at games that count for something season-wise as meaningful, and aren't looking at anything beyond the game, like the exposure, revenue, and extra practices.

VN Store

Back