MCU phase 4 rumor and discussion thread

MCU wise I don't think they even had a movie coming out anytime soon that had to really deal with it. Black Widow is a prequel and I don't see why they'd reference FFH in any way. The Eternals probably wouldn't either. I think the Doctor Strange sequel probably would have been the first movie to possibly reference it.

Sony definitely can't, but they could make it a psuedo-sequel where he's on the run because his identity is known but just never really mention why. Another issue for Sony is if they reuse The Vulture or Mysterio, then they can't even mention their motivation for going bad. They'd either have to retcon it or just ignore it.
I was thinking about the possibility of Peter going to a different earth with the help of Doctor Strange to hide out and that earth would just happen to be the one The Venom from The Venom movie lives on.

I was thinking about the possibility of Peter going to a different earth with the help of Doctor Strange to hide out and that earth would just happen to be the one The Venom from The Venom movie lives on.

That would be an option, except they'd have to get permission from Marvel to even mention Doctor Strange.

My bad I meant to include if Marvel and Sony get something worked out.

Yeah they could but my guess if they do work something out it will be that SM is back in the MCU full fledged. I personally think it will be all or nothing; if Sony wants to go it along Marvel won't agree to let them use any MCU reference.

Not entirely MCU related but a tidbit, I read somewhere that Feige is supposed to get involved with Star Wars. Disney likes what he's done with the MCU so they're wanting him to assist with SW.

Other MCU news, the Ghost Rider Hulu series is now not happening, and the New Warriors series that's been floating around for 2 years is now officially dead after no network would pick it up.

They've changed the gender on at least three, and the ethnicity of several.

Considering the Eternals have less than 50 issues in their 35 year history, I think this is one title they can totally get away with it.

I guess, but I'm not a fan of changing existing characters for diversity. I'd rather new characters be created to achieve that.

I agree with you but I’m also not particularly consistent about it.

Like Peter Parker should always be a white guy with brown hair and brown eyes to me. I’m cool with a legacy character like Miles Morales being a second Spider-Man but I also don’t want him elevated to THE Spider-Man.

Similar for someone like Thor. Big blonde dude with blue eyes. Always.... Heimdall? Don’t care that they race swapped him.

Clark Kent should be a white dude with black hair... Perry White or Jimmy Olsen swapped to person of color? Don’t care.

Ancient One? Didn’t care.... Mar-Vel in Captain Marvel? Would have preferred they didn’t go that way.

I will say on the Flash TV show I didn’t mind that Iris West was race swapped but it did bother me knowing down the line if they introduced Wally it would cause problems. Wally is MY Flash. He is a white dude with red hair plain and simple.

Like Peter Parker should always be a white guy with brown hair and brown eyes to me. I’m cool with a legacy character like Miles Morales being a second Spider-Man but I also don’t want him elevated to THE Spider-Man.

Similar for someone like Thor. Big blonde dude with blue eyes. Always.... Heimdall? Don’t care that they race swapped him.

Clark Kent should be a white dude with black hair... Perry White or Jimmy Olsen swapped to person of color? Don’t care.

Ancient One? Didn’t care.... Mar-Vel in Captain Marvel? Would have preferred they didn’t go that way.

I will say on the Flash TV show I didn’t mind that Iris West was race swapped but it did bother me knowing down the line if they introduced Wally it would cause problems. Wally is MY Flash. He is a white dude with red hair plain and simple.

I'm kind of the same way. Most of the big well known characters I don't want them to change, but more secondary/less known ones I don't care. I don't care they changed Nick Fury, I don't care about The Eternals, I didn't care they changed Ghost in Ant-Man 2, and I didn't really care about Mar-Vel because I knew almost nothing about Captain Marvel.

I'm kind of the same way. Most of the big well known characters I don't want them to change, but more secondary/less known ones I don't care. I don't care they changed Nick Fury, I don't care about The Eternals, I didn't care they changed Ghost in Ant-Man 2, and I didn't really care about Mar-Vel because I knew almost nothing about Captain Marvel.

I think Fury would have annoyed me had it not been for the Ultimate version already being Sam Jackson. I did find it ridiculous in the proper comics Universe when they tried to phase out original Nick in favor of his newly revealed bi-racial son, Nick Fury Jr, who also happened to be missing the same eye. 🤦‍♂️

The Mar-Vel swap didn’t ruin the movie for me but they not only gender swapped but completely changed the character from being a Kree warrior to a rouge Kees Scientist. I wish they hadn’t gone that direction but I get the reassigning behind it.

Iris West is beautiful!

Reactions: BenGrimm
Disney is reportedly trying to buy back the sole rights to Spider-Man from Sony. Rumored offer is 5 Billion!

For perspective Disney paid 4 Billion for all of Marvel (sans movie right for SM, X-Men, and FF) back in 2009.

I think I read Namor is still tied up in some kinda distribution limbo and of course Universal still has solo Hulk movie rights.

Disney is reportedly trying to buy back the sole rights to Spider-Man from Sony. Rumored offer is 5 Billion!

For perspective Disney paid 4 Billion for all of Marvel (sans movie right for SM, X-Men, and FF) back in 2009.

I think I read Namor is still tied up in some kinda distribution limbo and of course Universal still has solo Hulk movie rights.

I was about to post the same thing. The source of this is a guy that has been right about a ton of stuff the past 5 years or so, including the original Spider-Man deal, Disney buying Fox, and he was one of the only people saying Sony and Marvel were still working on a deal after it was supposedly dead. So sounds like it has a good chance of being legit.

Apparently the talk is Apple and Amazon are interested in buying Sony Pictures, and if this happens the SM rights go back to Marvel anyway. But apparently this is Disney either not wanting to chance this not happening or just wanting to go ahead in case the sale of Sony takes years. My guess is Sony would likely take it, since it's not like they can tout the SM rights with the sale of their pictures division since that won't be part of the deal for Apple/Amazon/whomever buys it. $5 billion seems like a lot but it's Disney and they'd make that back after 3-4 SM movies.

I've read that too, but I also keep seeing that people seem to be convinced Namor is going to be in the next Black Panther movie. I know it started based on a throwaway line in Endgame but it seems to be picking up steam.

The Hulk deal is very weird. From what I've read, Disney has repeatedly tried to work with Universal to work out a deal but Universal hasn't been receptive. Mark Ruffalo was asked a few years ago and his reply was something like "apparently Universal doesn't like making money".

I was about to post the same thing. The source of this is a guy that has been right about a ton of stuff the past 5 years or so, including the original Spider-Man deal, Disney buying Fox, and he was one of the only people saying Sony and Marvel were still working on a deal after it was supposedly dead. So sounds like it has a good chance of being legit.

Apparently the talk is Apple and Amazon are interested in buying Sony Pictures, and if this happens the SM rights go back to Marvel anyway. But apparently this is Disney either not wanting to chance this not happening or just wanting to go ahead in case the sale of Sony takes years. My guess is Sony would likely take it, since it's not like they can tout the SM rights with the sale of their pictures division since that won't be part of the deal for Apple/Amazon/whomever buys it. $5 billion seems like a lot but it's Disney and they'd make that back after 3-4 SM movies.

It seems like a lot BUT a lot comes back with Spider-Man.... especially since Spider-Verse has now been established in the mainstream.

Also worth noting, I suppose, that the Spidey head was basically the mascot logo of Marvel for decades in much the same way Mickey Mouse head is for Disney. They have tried to shift it to Iron Man in recent years but I think Spidey will always carry more weight.

It seems like a lot BUT a lot comes back with Spider-Man.... especially since Spider-Verse has now been established in the mainstream.

Also worth noting, I suppose, that the Spidey head was basically the mascot logo of Marvel for decades in much the same way Mickey Mouse head is for Disney. They have tried to shift it to Iron Man in recent years but I think Spidey will always carry more weight.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure they'd like him to be the "face" of Marvel again, at least MCU wise considering I think he's still the face of the comic side. I mean we all know if Marvel had the movie rights, they would have led off with Spider-Man, not Iron Man. And I'm pretty sure they want SM around to be involved with the Avengers long term, not to mention he'd work well with the FF and X-Men. Plus if they buy him back that clears up them on the TV side so they can move forward with longer cartoon series and when they bring back Daredevil you know they'd work them together. And that's not even factoring in being able to use Venom, Carnage, and every other SM associated character.

Reactions: BenGrimm
Yes, and I'm pretty sure they'd like him to be the "face" of Marvel again, at least MCU wise considering I think he's still the face of the comic side. I mean we all know if Marvel had the movie rights, they would have led off with Spider-Man, not Iron Man. And I'm pretty sure they want SM around to be involved with the Avengers long term, not to mention he'd work well with the FF and X-Men. Plus if they buy him back that clears up them on the TV side so they can move forward with longer cartoon series and when they bring back Daredevil you know they'd work them together. And that's not even factoring in being able to use Venom, Carnage, and every other SM associated character.

Doesn't hurt that the actor is younger so more movies could be done with him without getting into the too old look. Downey was basically there for End Game.

VN Store

Back