McCoy, McCoy, McCoy... a perspective

VolFuture2k22

This post is just an informer. I’ve seen many out of context post and misinformation about her spread so I thought this was deserving.

Jaiden has had a rough time since the season started. When your coach says the main thing your missing from your game is playing time, it’s hard to “figure it out” when you don’t get that time against the cupcakes, when you want to win. This post explains why/how she’s missed and why Kellie still believes in her.

Of our 12 non-conference games she was only physically able to play in 8 which really becomes 6 when you account for the fact that she played hurt for 4 mins @ Notre Dame (Hand injury) and 3 mins vs Texas (Eye Injury/Illness).

She was out for the following: Central Arkansas hand. TSU hand. Stetson hand. Air Force FLU (was bedridden at her Knoxville home for 5 days and did not practice the week leading up to Texas.)

Note: I don’t know about you, but nearly 2 weeks on no practice, running, etc. after having an energy draining illness may take you out of basketball shape; Let alone D1 SEC basketball shape.*

*see previous out-of-shape disappointment posts in other threads

The last game she entered to that point was Colorado State, which was the LVs last game before finals, an NCAA dead period.

Effectively Jaiden only had 1 week (8 hours | 4 skill : 4 conditioning) of practice before their final trip to the NorthWest which didn’t bode well for our LVs. Obviously, while on the trip they would not be working out/conditioning to the same level they could’ve been if on campus. Stanford is not exactly the game you get to just go work on things (until the end when she did play), and we played poorly most of the game vs a pushover Portland State team that also did not provide a great opportunity until late to “get it going”

TIMELINE:

ETSU (started like preseason)
CEN-AR (did not play/ hand)
ND (played out of necessity w/ cast 4mins.)
TSU (out w/ hand)
STET (out w/ hand)
ARK-PB (played 14 mins. first full-week practice w/ no cast)**
**Catches Flu day after ARK-PB, leaves campus later that week.
AF (did not play, was not at game at all)**
**Returns to practice 3 days before TEX, gets cut on eye
TEX (played out of necessity 3mins.)
**First Full week practice
CO-ST (played 10 mins)
Finals week- NCAA dead period.
Travel To NorWest
#1 STAN (played after blowout 9 mins)
POR-ST (played 8 mins, hangover bad game)
HOW (played 15 mins, last non-con)
SEC CONFERENCE PLAY
(games you’re not trying to learn anymore)

By this point the team had formed an identity and we quickly were heading into conference play, which you can all agree is 10x more challenging than our non-conference schedule. She obviously wouldn’t be anywhere near ready for it.

Keep in mind Jaiden started all preseason and @ ETSU.

On her current PT situation. All conference games are MUST WIN, no more time to hope someone “figures it out.” PT is based on what has been shown until the win is certain. (See Kellie’s “3-5-8 minute players” comment for how PT will be distributed) They are trying to get her as much time as possible now within the amount of time “3-5-8 minute thing” she’ll be effective. And hopefully she moves up in minutes and effectiveness.

According to Kellie, McCoy understands her system the best and is consistently the most physical girl on the team. She also added that Jaiden’s only problem this year is the missed PT against cupcakes for the experience at this level mostly, but also the chemistry the team had been building. She is playing now because she does what is wanted/needed out of her consistently in practice and the fact that Kellie must believe she’s our best bet for depth.

Great post.

For what it’s worth, I have no less faith that Jaiden can end up being a major contributor now than I did before the unfortunate succession of injury setbacks. Like you said, she just needs time to catch up with conditioning, and it’s a no-brainer that she’ll do just that. It’s obvious how strong and tough she is, and I only wish she were going to be ready to put some opponents in the not-too-distant future on their @sses. I’m looking forward to the coming weeks when McCoy comes into her own and the team takes another huge step toward being better equipped to go into the SEC Tournament with a legitimate shot at upsetting the top seeds.

Great post.

For what it’s worth, I have no less faith that Jaiden can end up being a major contributor now than I did before the unfortunate succession of injury setbacks. Like you said, she just needs time to catch up with conditioning, and it’s a no-brainer that she’ll do just that. It’s obvious how strong and tough she is, and I only wish she were going to be ready to put some opponents in the not-too-distant future on their @sses. I’m looking forward to the coming weeks when McCoy comes into her own and the team takes another huge step toward being better equipped to go into the SEC Tournament with a legitimate shot at upsetting the top seeds.
I hope and agree! I think when you look at the progression of the team this year, it’s not a stretch to believe that she can still be a very big piece for us

Thanks for the timeline.

I’ll be honest. I’m not holding my breath.

The string of injuries isn’t a new thing for Jaiden and she hasn’t shown any flashes of brilliance in her limited court time.

I believe Kelli’s comment about her understanding her system came very early in the season. I think to state she understands Coach Harper’s system best at this point of the season is unfair to the other players. They have obviously been working their tail off and they seem to understand coach’s system pretty well the last two games.

I wish Jaiden health and happiness. I don’t expect her to ever contribute more than 5-10 minutes a game in orange.

That being said, most of us here are couch potato consultants. So I would take anything posted on this forum with a grain of salt. We all enjoy breaking down the game and analyzing what’s working and what isn’t from our point of view.

Last edited:
Thanks for the timeline.

The string of injuries isn’t a new thing for Jaiden and she hasn’t shown any flashes of brilliance in her limited court time.

I believe Kelli’s comment about her understanding her system came very early in the season. I think to state she understands Coach Harper’s system best at this point of the season is unfair to the other players. They have obviously been working their tail off and they seem to understand coach’s system pretty well the last two games.

I wish Jaiden health and happiness. I don’t expect her to ever contribute more than 5-10 minutes a game in orange.

That being said, most of us here are couch potato consultants. So I would take anything posted on this forum with a grain of salt. We all enjoy breaking down the game and analyzing what’s working and what isn’t from our point of view.

I tend to agree but athletes with great work ethics can exceed expectations and perhaps Jaiden will be such a case.

I do see her potentially playing a role as a banger and scrapper who can come in disrupt an opponents offense.

Is Jaiden officially a sophomore or Junior? I seem to remember this was discussed before, but not sure of the answer.

I tend to agree but athletes with great work ethics can exceed expectations and perhaps Jaiden will be such a case.

I do see her potentially playing a role as a banger and scrapper who can come in disrupt an opponents offense.

I think that is a fair estimation. It’s entirely possible that she turns the corner and can provide meaningful minutes. I agree that she would likely be more of a defensive presence and an additional rebounder.

I have a hard time getting my hopes up though. She hasn’t really played a full season of basketball since her junior year of HS which I think was 2014-15. That’s a long time.

Is Jaiden officially a sophomore or Junior? I seem to remember this was discussed before, but not sure of the answer.

She is listed as a RS junior. I believe there was some discussion as to whether or not she might be eligible for an additional 3rd year of eligibility because she only played a few games her freshman season. I think it would be something she would need to apply for a waiver for.

I think that is a fair estimation. It’s entirely possible that she turns the corner and can provide meaningful minutes. I agree that she would likely be more of a defensive presence and an additional rebounder.

I have a hard time getting my hopes up though. She hasn’t really played a full season of basketball since her junior year of HS which I think was 2014-15. That’s a long time.

Didn’t she play a full season at her junior college last year ?

• Tallied 10.9 points and 6.1 rebounds per game, shooting 57.1 percent from the field in 2018-19.
  • Started all 32 games and played 23.9 minutes per contest for the Raiders as a redshirt sophomore.

Thanks for the timeline.

Very Fair.

I agree for this year she won’t see more than that unless we face another Ole Miss or favorable matchup for her to go in.

However we’re losing Lou and Kam next year and have no 4 coming in or on the team to replace the mobile “big” spot. All the time this year will pay off next.

I agree we seem to be figuring the system out. But as most on here have noted our depth still hasn’t. I’d still place her right outside of the starters.

Obviously I have a different opinion of her play than most. But I do feel Kellie believes she’ll be pretty important in the future. More than a 5-10 a game

I take pretty much everything here lightly, but this is something I’ve followed closely and thought would be interesting or at least informative to those whose can’t visualize how her season has gone to share. Because this group obviously loves the LVs a little extra

Didn’t she play a full season at her junior college last year ?

• Tallied 10.9 points and 6.1 rebounds per game, shooting 57.1 percent from the field in 2018-19.
  • Started all 32 games and played 23.9 minutes per contest for the Raiders as a redshirt sophomore.

That’s fair, but that’s one season of JUCO ball in the last 5 almost 6 years. My point is that her history is spotty at best. Not a basket I would be willing to put my eggs in.

Reactions: RollerVol
That’s fair, but that’s one season of JUCO ball in the last 5 almost 6 years. My point is that her history is spotty at best. Not a basket I would be willing to put my eggs in.

That’s fair, but that’s been more recent than her junior year of high school. I am also sure that one season is what got her the look from TN because they saw something they needed.

Not arguing and nobody is saying put all your eggs in one basket but I would feel better if the one season she played and made a difference in was last year compared to 3-4 years ago was all I was saying 😃

I think she will be the bruiser that we need to go out and set screens. Also if she had just hit one of those 10-12 foot jumpers I would of said it was luck but she hit three which means somewhere in there that can be in her wheel house for pick and pops in the future.

Very Fair.

I agree for this year she won’t see more than that unless we face another Ole Miss or favorable matchup for her to go in.

However we’re losing Lou and Kam next year and have no 4 coming in or on the team to replace the mobile “big” spot. All the time this year will pay off next....

I hope we keep a slot free...with all of the transfers this year, I fully expect as many jumpers next year

This post is just an informer. I’ve seen many out of context post and misinformation about her spread so I thought this was deserving.

Jaiden has had a rough time since the season started. When your coach says the main thing your missing from your game is playing time, it’s hard to “figure it out” when you don’t get that time against the cupcakes, when you want to win. This post explains why/how she’s missed and why Kellie still believes in her.

Of our 12 non-conference games she was only physically able to play in 8 which really becomes 6 when you account for the fact that she played hurt for 4 mins @ Notre Dame (Hand injury) and 3 mins vs Texas (Eye Injury/Illness).

She was out for the following: Central Arkansas hand. TSU hand. Stetson hand. Air Force FLU (was bedridden at her Knoxville home for 5 days and did not practice the week leading up to Texas.)

Note: I don’t know about you, but nearly 2 weeks on no practice, running, etc. after having an energy draining illness may take you out of basketball shape; Let alone D1 SEC basketball shape.*

*see previous out-of-shape disappointment posts in other threads

The last game she entered to that point was Colorado State, which was the LVs last game before finals, an NCAA dead period.

Effectively Jaiden only had 1 week (8 hours | 4 skill : 4 conditioning) of practice before their final trip to the NorthWest which didn’t bode well for our LVs. Obviously, while on the trip they would not be working out/conditioning to the same level they could’ve been if on campus. Stanford is not exactly the game you get to just go work on things (until the end when she did play), and we played poorly most of the game vs a pushover Portland State team that also did not provide a great opportunity until late to “get it going”

TIMELINE:

ETSU (started like preseason)
CEN-AR (did not play/ hand)
ND (played out of necessity w/ cast 4mins.)
TSU (out w/ hand)
STET (out w/ hand)
ARK-PB (played 14 mins. first full-week practice w/ no cast)**
**Catches Flu day after ARK-PB, leaves campus later that week.
AF (did not play, was not at game at all)**
**Returns to practice 3 days before TEX, gets cut on eye
TEX (played out of necessity 3mins.)
**First Full week practice
CO-ST (played 10 mins)
Finals week- NCAA dead period.
Travel To NorWest
#1 STAN (played after blowout 9 mins)
POR-ST (played 8 mins, hangover bad game)
HOW (played 15 mins, last non-con)
SEC CONFERENCE PLAY
(games you’re not trying to learn anymore)

By this point the team had formed an identity and we quickly were heading into conference play, which you can all agree is 10x more challenging than our non-conference schedule. She obviously wouldn’t be anywhere near ready for it.

Keep in mind Jaiden started all preseason and @ ETSU.

On her current PT situation. All conference games are MUST WIN, no more time to hope someone “figures it out.” PT is based on what has been shown until the win is certain. (See Kellie’s “3-5-8 minute players” comment for how PT will be distributed) They are trying to get her as much time as possible now within the amount of time “3-5-8 minute thing” she’ll be effective. And hopefully she moves up in minutes and effectiveness.

According to Kellie, McCoy understands her system the best and is consistently the most physical girl on the team. She also added that Jaiden’s only problem this year is the missed PT against cupcakes for the experience at this level mostly, but also the chemistry the team had been building. She is playing now because she does what is wanted/needed out of her consistently in practice and the fact that Kellie must believe she’s our best bet for depth.

That’s why I am hoping we get a 3rd year out of her (Jaiden)! Just imagining her with Rae, Jazz, Zaay This freshman class (Jordan, Emily, Key, Rennie) Tess and Destiny for atleast 2 more seasons will be amazing imo

She is listed as a RS junior. I believe there was some discussion as to whether or not she might be eligible for an additional 3rd year of eligibility because she only played a few games her freshman season. I think it would be something she would need to apply for a waiver for.
Yes she would definitely have to apply for it and should she I think the chances of her being granted the waiver are high.

Reactions: lvocd and RollerVol
Yes she would definitely have to apply for it and should she I think the chances of her being granted the waiver are high.

would be nice but I don't believe anything NCAA-related until I see it...more than once...:D

GO LADY VOLS!

a recent thread was entitled "no drama" unfortunately IMO this board has respondents who focus on creating drama on areas of weakness or players who do not have elite athletic ability. Nearly every year a segment of boarders select a player who they deem open to their professional negative scrutiny. (read any sports message board and you will find same - damning with faint praise) Last year Mimi Collins had several months of such scrutiny as one recent example.

As the creator of the threadlaid out McCoy has played very little. She is playing a new position in a new scheme. KJH stated she has learned the system and is a vocal teammate.

article on her signing ttps://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/05/14/lady-vols-make-another-addition-to-roster/

VN Store

Back