Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

In for Maurer, but Shrout deserves a shot. He played poorly vs Chat, but could have been nerves. Passes looked good, just were not on target.

In for Maurer, but Shrout deserves a shot. He played poorly vs Chat, but could have been nerves. Passes looked good, just were not on target.
I believe Shrout would eventually be a step up from JG. He was quick and decisive. First game jitters were apparent with both of them so I’m not looking too deep into it like most. Especially when neither of them were working with the 1s or left in there long enough to find a rhythm.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
JG is a 4th year Junior. He isn't the future. Its a bitter pill to swallow for some homers.
Some of y'all are really reaching. No one is saying a Jr is "the qb of the future." Obviously he isn't. He is a Junior. 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

He is " the qb of the present." People like you have an issue with that.

Use common sense.

Some of y'all are really reaching. No one is saying a Jr is "the qb of the future." Obviously he isn't. He is a Junior. 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Use common sense.
But he’s still playing like a freshman. Let’s be real. Let’s hypothetically say CJP benched JG at the start of the season and went with Shrout. If Shrout played the way JG did in week 1 and 2 do you think he starts again?

Also let’s say he went with Maurer week 1. Is there anyone that gives us LESS of a chance with him than they do with JG? I personally think the point spread would be less with either of the 2 with 3 games of experience under their belts.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
But he’s still playing like a freshman. Let’s be real. Let’s hypothetically say CJP benched JG at the start of the season and went with Shrout. If Shrout played the way JG did in week 1 and 2 do you think he starts again?

Also let’s say he went with Maurer week 1. Is there anyone that gives us LESS of a chance with him than they do with JG? I personally think the point spread would be less with either of the 2 with 3 games of experience under their belts.
Every disaster in this season would have been amplified with either Shrout or Maurer starting...imo. So to answer your question? ME 👋

Use common sense.
Yes. And therein lies all of our problems.

Reactions: vols 30
I realize that Jarrett's numbers tend to skew the discussion on this. People who (IMO) overvalue statistics are going to have a different perspective than people who are viewing the quarterback position as a leadership position and a key to the success of the team.

I view Jarrett's numbers the same way I view Philip Rivers' numbers. Empty. I think they both put up good stats, but in the end, neither one has actually led their team anywhere, despite having plenty of time to do it.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I realize that Jarrett's numbers tend to skew the discussion on this. People who (IMO) overvalue statistics are going to have a different perspective than people who are viewing the quarterback position as a leadership position and a key to the success of the team.

I view Jarrett's numbers the same way I view Philip Rivers' numbers. Empty. I think they both put up good stats, but in the end, neither one has actually led their team anywhere, despite having plenty of time to do it.
rivers_wont_cry.0.gif

Interesting. You go nuts when someone gives an honest, objective criticism of JG.... but then talk about another Vol QB like this? Hypocrite much?
ive criticized JG myself. try again. and this shows ur "honesty" isnt so honest

Not disagreeing, but Shrout and Maurer also played against the same "glorified high school team".

Guaranturnover played with the first team. The backups played with other backups. so, not a fair comparison. One thing is for sure, we know Guarantano sucks, but we're not sure about the backups yet. They need to see the field with the first team, and under-fire, before we will know if they're missing the mental tools that Guantanamo is missing.

Guaranturnover played with the first team. The backups played with other backups. so, not a fair comparison. One thing is for sure, we know Guarantano sucks, but we're not sure about the backups yet. They need to see the field with the first team, and under-fire, before we will know if they're missing the mental tools that Guantanamo is missing.
Still wouldn’t be an accurate assessment until game 2-3 given the fact that they don’t get to practice with the 1s either. The best receiver they get to throw to is a far cry from Calloway

Neither of these scrubs will ever see serious PT as long as JG is at the helm.
Scrubs?.... scrubs don’t make it out of HS and go D1. Scrubs definitely don’t go power 5 at that. You may end up being right that neither of them get serious PT but sometimes that has as much to do with a HCs playing style more than the backups skill set. Sometimes it takes injury (lord forbid) before the HC learns he may have picked the wrong guy to begin with. I’m sure Dobbs was called a “scrub” at times before he was given a real chance as well. I would be careful tossing the word “scrub” around because from what I understand crow is tough to chew.

Scrubs?.... scrubs don’t make it out of HS and go D1. Scrubs definitely don’t go power 5 at that. You may end up being right that neither of them get serious PT but sometimes that has as much to do with a HCs playing style more than the backups skill set. Sometimes it takes injury (lord forbid) before the HC learns he may have picked the wrong guy to begin with. I’m sure Dobbs was called a “scrub” at times before he was given a real chance as well. I would be careful tossing the word “scrub” around because from what I understand crow is tough to chew.
This is a scrub post

I’m here and JG has no feel for the game. He’s had time and has missed bad. The JJ one wasn’t his fault though.

VN Store

Back