Maurer takes over at some point this season

He didn’t. He led the country in knock downs and was second in the nation with the least amount of time from snap to being hit. Throw in receivers not getting off coverage and it all made JG look bad. It’s easy to be a arm chair qb but YOU get out there and get sacked and knocked down on average 27 times a game and see how you play.
Cite the source of those claims. Of course maybe you and whoever that is... knows more than Chaney and Pruitt about JG making decisions and reads too slow. Indeed it is easy to be an "armchair QB" like you're doing. You have determined to deflect all blame from JG. I say both bear blame and recognize that QB play can make an OL look worse than it is.

For a good case study, go back and look at UT with Simms at QB and then with Bray. With Simms, the OL was condemned for being swiss cheese... terrible... worst ever. Bray comes in... starts getting the ball off on time... and suddenly the OL doesn't suck so bad.

It's not most people. Just a few with agendas like that guy.

Complaining about pre snap reads when it came out Helton made those. Then complaining about the literal best qb we ever had at taking care of the ball about decision making.

Great points you made.
You have no clue. Really. You don't. Even if Helton made a lot of the audibles... The QB is STILL responsible for "reading" the D pre-snap. The pre-snap alignment and movement should tell the QB where the openings are likely to be. The UF clip above is a good example. UF telegraphed that backside blitz. They overloaded but they also vacated a coverage area. A QB good at pre-snap reads would have seen that and hit a receiver left open because of that blitz. JG has been weak his whole career at doing that.

Reactions: jacvols
Cite the source of those claims. Of course maybe you and whoever that is... knows more than Chaney and Pruitt about JG making decisions and reads too slow. Indeed it is easy to be an "armchair QB" like you're doing. You have determined to deflect all blame from JG. I say both bear blame and recognize that QB play can make an OL look worse than it is.

For a good case study, go back and look at UT with Simms at QB and then with Bray. With Simms, the OL was condemned for being swiss cheese... terrible... worst ever. Bray comes in... starts getting the ball off on time... and suddenly the OL doesn't suck so bad.
Those are stats I quoted and no im no arm chair qb I use only facts and stats. But with you guys on here it is completely worthless.

Reactions: k-town_king
Maurer starts at some point this season and keeps the starting the job. Yes, he made some bad mistakes today but he just has the IT factor.

He is way better than J.G. but needs some time to adjust.

Agree....go on record now.

Disagree....go on record now.

We will then find out who is right at the end of the season.

Delusional. How many back up QBs have had the "it" factor in the last few years? Mcbride? Chryst? How have those players fared? Not well. I do think Maurer has potential down the road but he will not start this year unless JG gets hurt. Our fans forget it took Dobbs 3 years to really produce. We had these same conversations about him his freshman and sophomore year. If the line improves and he takes another step forward, JG will be fine. Players do ya know "improve". I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong. I won't be though.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I agree. Pruitt will want to see if he can add a legitimate downfield passing game. This is possible if the QB can hit the hot routes when needed, something JG has shown an inability to do consistently.[/QUOTE

No time to throw down field. Helton literally stated this on 1045 the zone after he took the other job. They could not run deep routes because the QB was getting hit constantly as soon as he got the ball. How do people not realize how absolutely atrocious our line was last year? It was historically bad.

No time to throw down field. Helton literally stated this on 1045 the zone after he took the other job. They could not run deep routes because the QB was getting hit constantly as soon as he got the ball. How do people not realize how absolutely atrocious our line was last year? It was historically bad.

Nope, we have posters here that know more than the coaches. It was all JG, our O line is in fact not all that bad.

Reactions: ApacheVol1990

Did you watch the OL block once last year? They literally rarely had ONE play where an assignment wasn't blown. They were absolutely terrible. Go watch the games.

Did you watch the OL block once last year? They literally rarely had ONE play where an assignment wasn't blown. They were absolutely terrible. Go watch the games.
Watched every game. They were bad... and JG's slow decision making and failure to make good pre-snap blitzes was STILL a major factor. Did you watch the games? A QB who reads D's well will generally speaking start his throwing motion as soon as he plants his back foot on his drop. Go back and "watch the games" and see how many times JG doesn't do that.

Those are stats I quoted and no im no arm chair qb I use only facts and stats. But with you guys on here it is completely worthless.
I know they're stats but forgive me for not just taking your word for it. Where do they come from? Where can we find them?

It is completely worthless to try to claim something that's false. JG bears a good portion of the blame. The coaches have made speeding his decision making up a priority. You can watch for yourself and see that he was protected by the playcalling and did not hit hot receivers.

Of course. Stats don't matter when they don't say what you want them to say....

Yes. Total/gross figures matter. They matter a lot. They put points on the board. They demonstrate the confidence a team has in an aspect of its offense.

I am sure you think Pruitt and Helton were so utterly stupid that they refused to pass even though they could have scored more points and won more games by doing so... but I'm pretty sure they're not. Truth is they were limited by what they could trust JG and the OL to do. JG's decision making was too slow and his presnap reads too weak to go to a quick passing game. The OL had neither the power nor development to give him time for long plays to develop.

There are teams with less arm talent than JG that are pass heavy. Their lack of a run game is offset by a quick passing game that prevents D's from loading up on their pass rush and enables them to sustain drives. If JG were capable of that Ainge-like short passing ability... it would have been the ideal O for UT last fall.
Great, so you think the military schools and GT are the best at running the ball by far. And Wazu is the greatest passing team ever created. Glad to see how deep your brain goes. Guy. just read anyone who is an expert - go shoot an email to Bill C. or pff or espn stats team and ask them what they think of gross stats. Dont believe me, thats fine. Go ask the people that get paid to understand and rely on the numbers. They will laugh in your face. Go ahead. Seriously. Shoot them an email and post the response. But you wont because you know you are wrong by a country mile. And if you dont know...then I actually feel sorry for you.

As for the staff - they are not utterly stupid, just utterly stubborn.

Say what you want about your FEELINGS of how you PERCEIVE what coaches thought about this or that. The fact is we threw for 7.9 ypa and ran for 3.7 ypc. One was far more efficient than the other. Their stubborness to move from being 60/40 run is purely on them. Youre saying we ran because we knew our ol stunk...so why does that make running any better? Clearly it was still a far worse decision.

Btw - Helton has already said hes running air raid at wku...that tells us a lot about who was doing what. Luckily chaney wont put up with that. He wont be influenced by a guy that said hed run a wing offense or something if it were up to him

Great, so you think the military schools and GT are the best at running the ball by far. And Wazu is the greatest passing team ever created.
Great, so now you try to ignorantly read BS into my post so you can construct a straw man.

Glad to see how deep your brain goes. Guy. just read anyone who is an expert - go shoot an email to Bill C. or pff or espn stats team and ask them what they think of gross stats. Dont believe me, thats fine. Go ask the people that get paid to understand and rely on the numbers. They will laugh in your face. Go ahead. Seriously. Shoot them an email and post the response. But you wont because you know you are wrong by a country mile. And if you dont know...then I actually feel sorry for you.
So basically because you cannot reasonably answer what I've said you are going to appeal to the great "they say"... and put words in the mouths of experts. Those experts I'm sure will affirm your "expertise" in saying that a QB who hits a high % of safe passes but doesn't lead the O to scores and cannot burn blitzes is "great"... everything wrong with the O is someone else's fault.

Schools that run exotic offenses like the double wing or wishbone design that O around the players they can recruit. Not sure what your issue with WSU is. Their starting QB had two games under 300 yards all year... JG has one over 300 yards. Minshew had 38 TD passes against 9 INT's which is actually a better ratio than JG. WSU has maybe 5 or 6 4* players on their whole roster. For his part, the recently drafted Minshew signed with Troy then had stops at JUCO and ECU before lighting things up in WSU's system.

As for the staff - they are not utterly stupid, just utterly stubborn.
How DARE them not agree with... you about JG's greatness.

Say what you want about your FEELINGS of how you PERCEIVE what coaches thought about this or that. The fact is we threw for 7.9 ypa and ran for 3.7 ypc. One was far more efficient than the other. Their stubborness to move from being 60/40 run is purely on them. Youre saying we ran because we knew our ol stunk...so why does that make running any better? Clearly it was still a far worse decision.
They ran... because they didn't trust JG enough to put the ball in his hands and take more risks. They didn't trust the OL to protect him. It is a two sided problem... yet some of you absolutely refuse to see JG's contribution to it..

Btw - Helton has already said hes running air raid at wku...that tells us a lot about who was doing what. Luckily chaney wont put up with that. He wont be influenced by a guy that said hed run a wing offense or something if it were up to him
Helton ran an O that Pruitt thought would compliment the D... and that he had the personnel to run. Again, if JG could simply make pre-snap reads the way Ainge learned to do with considerably less talent around him... the "dink and dunk" would have both satisfied what Pruitt wanted and made UT's O better without putting more pressure on a bad OL.

The "air raid" requires a QB who can make good pre-snap reads and quickly find the holes in coverage. Yes.... it says quite a bit that Helton couldn't do that at UT.

I know they're stats but forgive me for not just taking your word for it. Where do they come from? Where can we find them?

It is completely worthless to try to claim something that's false. JG bears a good portion of the blame. The coaches have made speeding his decision making up a priority. You can watch for yourself and see that he was protected by the playcalling and did not hit hot receivers.
Go to ESPN qb stats. It isn’t rocket science where you can find sports stats. You must be a millennial.

You can watch for yourself and see that he was protected by the playcalling and did not hit hot receivers.[/QUOTE]

Mainly talking to you is foolish. For some reason you can’t see what most mature level headed fans can see. He hit many hot routes also watch those hot routes the receivers were usually double teamed and was tackled as soon as he caught the ball. Those hot routes especially quick inside passes generally need to pick up 6 or so yards. Tennessee was picking up 2 or 3 yards. The poor play of the offense as much the receivers fault as anyone. The experienced receivers played very poorly last season.

Terrible examples, Simms sucked at QB and had very little arm strength, it's why he got killed as SEC defenses knew his weakness. Bray had a cannon for an arm and a very good WR core and was a gunslinger. Bray did NOT make the OL better he was simply the better QB of the 2.

Delusional. How many back up QBs have had the "it" factor in the last few years? Mcbride? Chryst? How have those players fared? Not well. I do think Maurer has potential down the road but he will not start this year unless JG gets hurt. Our fans forget it took Dobbs 3 years to really produce. We had these same conversations about him his freshman and sophomore year. If the line improves and he takes another step forward, JG will be fine. Players do ya know "improve". I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong. I won't be though.

The backup QB is always the best one here at TN.

Terrible examples, Simms sucked at QB and had very little arm strength, it's why he got killed as SEC defenses knew his weakness. Bray had a cannon for an arm and a very good WR core and was a gunslinger. Bray did NOT make the OL better he was simply the better QB of the 2.
Bray got the ball out faster. It was talked about a lot at the time. Simms wasn't only less talented. He was slower making decisions.

jg isnt even in the middle tier of QBs in the SEC. Look for him to be replaced.
JG has the physical ability to be one of the best QB's in the SEC. He now has a great OC plus Weinke and Martin around him. If he has the ability to "get it" from a mental/decision making stand point then he's got a great shot of doing it this fall.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Watched every game. They were bad... and JG's slow decision making and failure to make good pre-snap blitzes was STILL a major factor. Did you watch the games? A QB who reads D's well will generally speaking start his throwing motion as soon as he plants his back foot on his drop. Go back and "watch the games" and see how many times JG doesn't do that.

Agree... the Oline sucked, JG knew it, we all knew it. So its on JG when he stood in the pocket waiting to be trucked. Not too difficult of a concept to grasp. Things will get better for him this year... but to have a very good year, he needs to use his head for something other than a battering ram.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
People have blind hatred for the kid for some reason.
Quarterbacks and offensive coordinators generally tend to be the repositories of blame for the dashed hopes of football fans, when blaming the head coach is not yet a realistic option.

VN Store

Back