Maurer Instagram Post

My daughter competed in the Miss Arkansas pageant last year and her platform was recognizing the signs of major depression and suicide after losing 2 friends to suicide in high school. It’s very real and people you think have it all together are sometimes drowning internally. Best of luck to Mauer, I hope and pray he finds the help and support system to move forward to a healthier place.

It's true. Depression, anxiety, and similar mental health issues don't have cultural boundaries. Some of the most highly exalted "successful" people have it worst. Rich or poor. Male or female. Popular or unpopular. Etc etc. Hope BM gets on a solid course of freedom from it.

I lost my little brother to suicide back in '85. Good kid, valedictorian of a high school class that was over 500 students. 2nd in the state of Alabama in wrestling. Went to UT on a national merit scholarship. Everything in the world to live for. The fallout from a suicide is a tremendous amount of guilt to those left. Even if there wasn't anything you could have done, it's Shoulda,Coulda, Woulda. I've heard it said "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". I sure hope this kid gets the mental health guidance he needs, and perhaps the meds. Lithium is supposed to do quite well in some situations, but I'm no doctor.

That's him down on the field. I was the middle kid. Older brother at Freshman orientation and us left to wander campus with my camera. Summer of '74

View attachment 275466
I think I've mentioned this before in the end zone maybe. I had a good friend who struggled with depression. He came to my house one day excited about a new medicine he was given, I was thrilled for him. He left, went home, and killed himself. I've always felt guilty, like I should've seen something, or felt something was wrong. Can't imagine losing a sibling like you, cause I barely could handle it being a friend.

Mental health is no joke. You never know what someone is going through, be kind to all.

Brian Maurer is my new hero. This took an incredible amount of courage and fortitude. He has done himself, his family, and the University of Tennessee quite proud. I pray his message falls on every ear and heart that needs to hear it. Bravissimo, Brian.

We should all remember these are 18 year olds before we get the urge to anonymously get behind a keyboard and bash them nonstop...
Kids get bashed behind a keyboard or on the field all throughout their football career. Just like many different people in many different fields get bashed. Just part of life.

I believe suicide is a selfish act and their are only two kinds of people. One kind is a person that you'll never save they are gonna do it regardless and the other is wanting attention for what ever reason.

I've known 3 people that killed themselves while I was in the military and two of them were friends of mine. Was I sad they did it yes but I was more pissed off that they killed themselves nothing could of been done to save them.

Well...... I suppose I don’t have to explain “why” any more. His Instagram post was a “to the point” synopsis of the reason I’m all in but in no way shape or form the detailed version I know from knowing him and the kind of kid he’s always been. So proud of him yet so hurt I couldn’t prevent those feelings.

Yikes!

Didn't he have two concussions last year? That could certainly intensify problems he was already having.

Yup. It actually might be better for him to give up football as a player and focus on coaching young men. With what we know about CTE (and even more about what we don't know) you really have to worry about Brian with the depression issues he already has.

I wish nothing but the absolute best in life for Brian whatever he chooses to do in life and I hope he finds his happiness.

We never really know what is going on in some persons mind. What pain, depression, and anxiety they carry while they attempt to navigate in the world.
This is one reason why I would never call a player trash or garbage. I imagine that players who fail to perform in a way that helps their team win, are already beating themselves up in the worst way. Why pile on?

Hope he takes care of himself and continues to focus on his mental health. As someone who has suffered from similar challenges in the past, I know how hard it can be.

I would really like to see him to reach out to Inky Johnson or vice versa. What those two have gone through is tragic. I believe with Inky's guidance they both will be able to help future Volunteers as well as countless others. May God bless and keep his hand on you Brian.

I had a best friend kill himself and I have had my struggle with anxiety and depression. Depression is the worst it's like you can't do nothing to feel good and you just don't want to do nothing it's sometimes all you can do to try and act normal to your family that's what's evil about depression it takes you away from your family mentally your mind just checks out.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Coach Philip Fulmer was deeply involved in a suicide prevention effort a few years ago. It's good that he could be part of efforts to help this young man. Prayers for solutions.

Reactions: ptcarter
Good for Brian to feel open enough to share. Glad to see he has come through the tough times and is helping others as well.

Also, good on VN for being supportive. I thought for sure I'd see some "Mental Health doesn't exist, suck it up, anxiety is for losers" from some of our old-timers.
Most of us (old timers) understand it better than you might think.

I am very inspired by the bravery and strength shown by this young man to speak out ina public forum like that. So may males who suffer from this end up with tragic outcomes as we’re taught that it’s a sign of weakness to admit you have it. As someone who has battled anxiety and depression for many years, I can tell you it is a vicious opponent that attacks you emotionally, mentally, and physically with no let up. I distinctly remember years ago while driving home from work and thinking, just speed up and drive off this shoulder and into a light pole and all the pain will be over. I had to shake myself out of that and soon after reached out for medical help along with spiritual encouragement and counseling. My faith in God was a big part of getting the upper hand those early days. God bless this young man as he seeks help to beat this awful thing.

Last edited:
A college athlete who is willing to expose his/her problems to the masses, and talk about how he/she copes, has my respect.

This is a whole other level. Not only respect, he also has my gratitude for the willingness to speak out and help others.

Good for Brian to feel open enough to share. Glad to see he has come through the tough times and is helping others as well.

Also, good on VN for being supportive. I thought for sure I'd see some "Mental Health doesn't exist, suck it up, anxiety is for losers" from some of our old-timers.
Thought wrong pal.. even the “old-timers” go thru this.. someone who woulda said this or thought of this would be POS in my book.. that’s just me though I like to think of myself as a decent human being..

Reactions: zaqhhh
Most of us (old timers) understand it better than you might think.

I grew up with parents and relatives who didn't believe in it. Would tell you to suck it up or you are too soft.

Glad to see that there are some people who understand that it's just a human thing and nothing to feel shame about.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Kids get bashed behind a keyboard or on the field all throughout their football career. Just like many different people in many different fields get bashed. Just part of life.

I believe suicide is a selfish act and their are only two kinds of people. One kind is a person that you'll never save they are gonna do it regardless and the other is wanting attention for what ever reason.

I've known 3 people that killed themselves while I was in the military and two of them were friends of mine. Was I sad they did it yes but I was more pissed off that they killed themselves nothing could of been done to save them.
The older I get and more pressures that I deal with and hear of tragedies others deal with and I’ve known 2 that have done this, terrible deal for everyone. But you don’t know what hurt and pressure is on this person to do this, and this in their thinking is the exit from all this. I used to think what shtbags and why would they do it, but I understand now more with dealing with the same issues they were having.. I can see both sides to it

VN Store

Back